Fluval FX5 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval FX5

So. I got an FX5. It was a hard decision; after reading up on the Eheims and Renas, I finally decided to go with the locally available thing. I've heard it's good and I want to believe in my purchase. It'll be a while before it gets set up with it's corresponding 75gallon tank, but I just wanted to go ahead and find out

what the best filter media is for a planted tank?

The FX5 has 3 media trays. Should I just stick to those Biomax cylinders and and inert 'filter screen', or do I need more?

Thanks!

FF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 05:47 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
I've got an FX5 on my 130 gallon, it pumps out a lot of water (I think it was over 500 gph?). It also doesn't come with a spraybar (had to make my own). If you don't use a spraybar make sure you have some way to oxygenate your water (learned this the hard way ). I'm wondering if it'll be too strong for a 75 gallon planted? I love the filter though.

Oh, on your question on media, that should be fine, I've got Eheim substrat pro in mine .

Tina
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Lots of Filter Floss and the noodles should to just fine. Let me know how the FX5 works because I have been thinking of getting one myself.

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpl*co View Post
I've got an FX5 on my 130 gallon, it pumps out a lot of water (I think it was over 500 gph?). It also doesn't come with a spraybar (had to make my own). If you don't use a spraybar make sure you have some way to oxygenate your water (learned this the hard way ). I'm wondering if it'll be too strong for a 75 gallon planted? I love the filter though.

Oh, on your question on media, that should be fine, I've got Eheim substrat pro in mine .

Tina
I was told I could control the outflow by partially shutting the valves that link the filter to the tubing.

Also, can't I just angle the outflow so that it agitates the surface? Won't that be sufficient oxygenation for a 75gal?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 07:16 PM

That could work, but in the instructions they said to have the connections to the intake and outtake under water (which I didn't follow because I fabricated a spraybar )

Tina
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just the regular outlet on my FX5 without problems and I have a fairly large bioload (big SA cichlids and silver dollars). I also mist CO2. Never had an oxygen problem, but then, my tank is only moderately planted. I also have an Eheim 2028 with a spraybar on the other side (But the holes are pointed parallel to the water surface, not up). I just aim one outlet up, and the other one down.

In the FX5, I do not use floss, as it would slow the flow to much (mine is in a 125 gallon). I used Biomax, potscrubbers, and activated charcoal in the 3 baskets. Cleaned it for the first time in 4 months last week, and boy, does that foam catch a lot of stuff.

Overall, I have no complaints about the filter and its usage. The only thing I have observed is that it does seem to trap a lot of air. If not for the 24 hour stop and restart, I think that thing would eventually develop an airlock.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
I just the regular outlet on my FX5 without problems and I have a fairly large bioload (big SA cichlids and silver dollars). I also mist CO2. Never had an oxygen problem, but then, my tank is only moderately planted. I also have an Eheim 2028 with a spraybar on the other side (But the holes are pointed parallel to the water surface, not up). I just aim one outlet up, and the other one down.

In the FX5, I do not use floss, as it would slow the flow to much (mine is in a 125 gallon). I used Biomax, potscrubbers, and activated charcoal in the 3 baskets. Cleaned it for the first time in 4 months last week, and boy, does that foam catch a lot of stuff.

Overall, I have no complaints about the filter and its usage. The only thing I have observed is that it does seem to trap a lot of air. If not for the 24 hour stop and restart, I think that thing would eventually develop an airlock.

24 hour stop/restart? I didn't know about that. I have yet to watch my DVD.

Thanks for the input. It's good to hear that the thing works well in conjunction with another filter on a much larger tank. I'm thinking of using mine with a Magnum 350 - got it free with the tank I'm setting up, although the Whisper filter on my 10gallon is so bad I'm actually considering putting the magnum on IT, lol.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post

LOL, now I don't feel bad, last Sat was the first time I cleaned mine in four months too (well, ever since I set it up, no time and it was pretty intimidating sitting there). Must say the water was pretty dirty rinsing out the sponges though. Kept it's water flow very well.

The 24 stop and restart gets me, I always listen for it to restart in 2 minutes .

Tina
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I am on about month 2 of my FX5 use. One thing I found is that using filter floss in one of the three trays, that within 2 weeks, it begins to blow micro bubbles of air. This progressively gets worse. I tightened all down and still does it.

Called Hagen and they said this is a known issue and to either change more frequently or not use. Must be the power of the pump and all the possible air infiltration in the lid, etc. None of my other Fluvals do this (304 and 404's).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't use any floss and it still does this. Wonder if it's the potscrubbers?

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode