Anyone use fire extinguishers as their CO2 source?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Anyone use fire extinguishers as their CO2 source??

do you guys know how much a CGA320 valve for fire extinguishers cost? (post link if you have them)

this valve basically lets you put the regulator on the tank... as most equipment is CGA 320 standard....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Oh, I'm sure Rex has an idea. I think someone here posted that they got their valve swapped (because it was damaged) for $5. just a ballpark to get you started.

Malkore
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yes, fire extinguishers are often good places for hardware (CGA 320 tanks), hydrotesting, (they expire) and refills. YMMV. I think a new valve is more like $12.

Moved to Tucson.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
As I recall they should run about $15-$20. Mind you this is really not something you can or should install yourself.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Algae Grower

Rex ..

what happens with these Fire Extinquisher conversions ......

i am guessing that whoever does the conversion takes the regular F Ext top bit that looks like a handle and trigger thing completely off.... and then (in the usa anyway) just simply replaces the whole thing with this CGA320 valve ... so for all intents it ends up in respects to it's fittings looking exactly like a regular CO2 tank ...

is that it? .... and if it is ... i take it from your comments that it's not a diy project ... that it should be done by a tradesperson? .... does it then have to be tested and stamped as "approved" or whatever the correct term is...

i spoke to a couple of F Equipt guys here that i got onto via a homebrew site ....... they were very reluctant to take out the tube that is inside the old F Ext ... he was simply going to add some kind of connector (leaving the trigger and handle thing intact) so that i could still connect a CO2 reg ... then he advised to simply use it by turning it upside down .....

it all sounded a bit fishy to me ... but are you aware of that as an ok process ... or was i right to avoid it? ...

can anyone pls post a pic of the top bit of their F Extinguisher conversion ... the bit where the CO2 reg attaches etc ....

thanks
aussietanker

33 US G (125L) ------ Aqua-One 620 Tall - L: 24" (60cm), W: 14" (36cm), D: 24" (60cm) ; Modified Hood with 2 x GE 55W 21" AquaRays (9325 K) under AH Supply Reflectors; Fluval 304 Canister Filter;Substrate = 2" JBL AquaBasis Plus nutrient ground cover + 2" of 50% mix of Flourite & Onxy Sand ; JBL ProFlora Pressurized CO2 + REXX DIY CO2 Reactor; Hydor 300W Inline Heater @ 26C/79F;Fish = 2 x SAE; 2 x Clown Loaches; 15 x Cardinal Tetras; 2 x Orange Angels
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have watched this being done. They clamp the FE into a large machine that holds the cylinder while holding the fitting.

They remove the fitting, inspect the tank... if it needs to be hydro tested that is done.

Then they clean the threads place the CGA 320 valve onto the cylinder. They they put it back in the large machine and tighten it up. I seem to recall it's something like 150 ft/lbs of torque. Hard to do that on your own while holding a cylinder.

The method you have been described MIGHT work. But if the tank was full and liquid CO2 got into your regulator it could well destroy it.

A CO2 cylinder is a CO2 cylinder here in the US. What makes it a fire extingusher or a beverage cylinder is merely the fitting on top.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Algae Grower

thanks Rex ...
that's most helpful ...

regards
aussietanker

33 US G (125L) ------ Aqua-One 620 Tall - L: 24" (60cm), W: 14" (36cm), D: 24" (60cm) ; Modified Hood with 2 x GE 55W 21" AquaRays (9325 K) under AH Supply Reflectors; Fluval 304 Canister Filter;Substrate = 2" JBL AquaBasis Plus nutrient ground cover + 2" of 50% mix of Flourite & Onxy Sand ; JBL ProFlora Pressurized CO2 + REXX DIY CO2 Reactor; Hydor 300W Inline Heater @ 26C/79F;Fish = 2 x SAE; 2 x Clown Loaches; 15 x Cardinal Tetras; 2 x Orange Angels
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
thx Rex...
exactly what I was looking for.....

there are these F Equipment guys who would do it for me, but I'd have to order the 320 valve... been searching around, but no avail... although the F Equipment guys can get some via their vendor (~$15-$20), but I was hoping to get a cheaper price as I'm looking to set up like 3-4 pressurized CO2 systems with 1 or 2 backup cans (so ~5-6 valves).......

and that doesn't even include the cost of everything else (regulators, check valves, diffusers, etc)!!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

chickenball

My guess is that compressed gas fitting are not the place to economize. A good place is not going to fill a DIY tank (they risk explosion) and you may get yourself in a situation where the fitting installed is ~$15 but if you bring your own (~$10) they will put it on for a small fee (~$10). Kinda like the "free tire stem" racket.

You might get better milage with a bigger tank (20 #) and a manifold for multiple tanks (1 regulator). Ask Rex.

Moved to Tucson.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If the tanks are close together I too would get a larger tank. Say at least a 20 lb tank and then run a manifold. Are these going to be manual or automatic systems? Both can be done DIY with much better results than the commercial products IMHO.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:08 AM
zig
Algae Grower

Heres a setup from the UK

This is a co2 fire extinguisher that is being used on a marine setup for a calcuim reactor, this guy has had this setup going for 2 years with no problems, this fire extinguisher has the origional head valve, he simply uses a cable tie to hold the handle in the open position, the thread that the regulator fits on is the British industry standard outlet size 0.860" for co2 cylinders.

If you want to change the head valve to an upright and get rid of the handle you need one of these, however they would have to be professionally fitted for the reasons Rex already mentioned, it would not be a straightforeward DIY job.

http://www.firesafetywarehouse.co.uk...oducts_id=2005

Co2 fire extinguishers are nearly allways for sale on Ebay in the UK relatively cheaply, you can generally get a 2kg (about 4.5lb) for about 20.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Algae Grower

thanks for the pic ...

and especially the link ....thats a great help

regards
aussietanker

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:46 AM

Hi guys , I bought a co2 extinguisher and it has a G1 3/8" famale connector.
Online I can find a valve gauge with G5/8 or W 21.8.
Does someone is able to explain and help me which one I have to buy?
Do I need a connector in between?
Thx

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

first off.. nothing here is recommended as a DIY job.
short list of "things" and "issues".. USA related..

1)can't fill tanks w/ expired hydro tests..legally
2)valve swaps technically need to be done by certified installers who know toque specs of ne w valves
3)high pressure fittings are NOT the same as normal pipe type fittings..need special fittings/hose for >800PSI pressures on this end..
4)running CO2 "extinguisher tanks" w/ things like the handle held open is ..frankly.. goofy..

your life is your own.. but consider others around you..

i've bought repuropsed fire extinguishers w/ new certs and new valves.. wouldn't do it myself though, ON PAPER, it's pretty simple..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in