Red Sea CO2 Drop Checker Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Red Sea CO2 Drop Checker Question

Hey all,

Background:

Im in the process of setting up a new 40B tank. Its a relatively new tank...I have only 2 plants (amazon sword and a small patch of dwarf hairgrass) with 10 neon tetras.

Im running 2x39W 6500k Aquamedic, will be 4x39W later this week.

For filtration Im running a Eheim 2217.

My question is: Im just getting the co2 part setup and Im a bit confused. I am using the red sea drop checker. Added 1mL of tank water (as recommended by instructions) but I have 4DKH solution on order.

With the 2 drops of indicator solution, the color is yellow, corresponding to the "+" sign. This indicates high co2. Im not running any co2 right now, so Im a bit confused. Is this because of my low amount of plants or new tank? Or perhaps my level is obscured since Im using tank water?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 04:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank water will not read properly it will read high if you have a low Kh and will read low if you have a high Kh. It is very easy to make your own 4Dkh solution just take some distilled water about a cups worth add a pinch of baking soda and test if it tests over 4 dillute with more water and test again. Keep repeating until the 3rd drop barely changes the color of the test water and on the 4th drop it fully changes. This I figure puts me in the neighborhood of 3.5-4Dkh at least thats how I do it because it errors on the safe side of co2 levels when more yellow then green. To hold you over until you get the real stuff.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 04:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Also I had the red sea drop checker and it broke trying to remove the clear part. I would use a pippette ( like the ones that come with hagen test kits ) to rinse and refill instead of taking it apart.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 05:45 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
As TheKribKeeper mentioned, you should not use aquarium water (or tap water, RO water, DI water....) in your drop checker. 4 dkH reference solution is most commonly used (though some like to use 3 or 5 dkH reference solution as well).

TheKribKeeper also mentioned one way of making a 4 dkH reference solution, but if you have access to a scale, you can make it much more accurately.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
The 4DKH solution should be here within 2-3 days, so I'll hold off. I was going to make it, but I don't have accurate measuring devices. For the $7.50 shipped, it seemed worthwhile to buy it.

What should I expect to see once I get the proper solution? With just 2 plants, would I even have to dose co2 at this point? - or is the co2 needed with the amount of light I will have (4x39W) regardless of amount of plants?

Somebody from my reef club is selling a pinpoint PH controller (minus the probe) for $75.00. Seems like a good deal, so I might pick that up and get a solenoid for the tank. I like accuracy and automation.

EDIT: So I read your write-ups, Darkblade48 - maybe the controller isn't really necessary...

Last edited by watercage; 11-06-2012 at 06:48 AM. Reason: added info after reading FAQ

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode