New SunSun filter weak flow. Help please - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
New SunSun filter weak flow. Help please

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me figure out what is wrong. Just got the SunSun HW 402B and have it running on my 45 gal tank. The flow out of the spray bar is very weak. It hardly makes a ripple in the water. I'm hoping I've just done something wrong. The amount of media in the thing doesn't seem to make a difference. At the moment I have dish scrubs packed in the bottom on top of the thin white layer it came with; middle has ceramic rings and quilt batting on top of the white layer; last layer more quilt batting on top of the thin white layer.

I'm not using the skimmer since I thought that was the problem but it isn't.

Canister is right under the tank.

Ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
did you trim up that green tubing? new pipes without 90 degree turns can help too

i have the aquatop 300 and 400uv i think... i was a bit surprised at the flow too.. but it seems to hold steady. when my rena gets dirty, it shows... the smaller of the two aquatops seems to actually require less regular maintenance. i want the bigboy uv unit, the 500 i think. i will probably pick up the sunsun tho, its the same thing but cheaper. it's the size of a small pond filter...

back to filter flow.. ceramic media slowed down mine so much that i threw the stuff out in the yard after a month... sponge and floss for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
How long do you have the spray bar? What angle is it pointed at toward the surface?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
The angle could make a significant difference.
I have the sunsun 302 and sometimes, especially after I change the filter in any way, my flow is barely detectable. Then I monkey around with the tubing a bit and it usually clears right up. Sometimes there's an air bubble trapped somewhere in the line.

Easing my toes in the water
SFBAAPS Member
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I haven't trimmed the tubing yet. I'm afraid to until I know this thing works right. I'll try messing around with it some to see if that helps.

I have the spray bar pointed just over the surface and am only using half the bar to help it get a little more flow. I'd like to use the whole thing.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 02:20 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I have the same issue with 402B running 40Breeder. The filter also seems to clog up much faster then other filters I've used.

Try removing all media and see if it makes any difference.
Shake the filter slightly to make sure there is no trapped air inside, especially if the filter is noisy.

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 03:12 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I did notice that the filter does trap a lot of air inside mine was running fairly silent doe over an hour flow was decent but had to move it just to get to something behind the filter that shouldn't have been there in the first place and had a ton of air bubbles come pouring out just as I moved it over, kept tipping it over from side to side and front to back and I was amazed at how much air was trapped in the canister but after fiddling with it for a good 5-10 min I did notice that my flow had improved a good deal, also check the impeller next time your in the filter to make sure it's clean and undamaged.

Canon Pimp Club #066, SunSun Pimp #75, Fraternity of Dirt #114,
DIY Stand Build -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

55G Dirted Tank Journal -

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighkai76 View Post
I haven't trimmed the tubing yet. I'm afraid to until I know this thing works right. I'll try messing around with it some to see if that helps.

I have the spray bar pointed just over the surface and am only using half the bar to help it get a little more flow. I'd like to use the whole thing.
To add to her post, as I am her husband, we cut 1ft off each tube but that doesn't seem to help.

I guess we're simply wondering if anything is wrong or if that's normal for this type of filter. Switching from noisy top filters to this quiet filter was a bit lack luster. It is filtering but I guess we where expecting it to have tons of pressure. With just one spray bar it might break the surface but with two it's barely moving the surface. I'm worried there won't be enough O2.

Thanks.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 PM
The Security Dude

PTrader: (116/100%)
I have same issue, been a issue since I bought it. I read online allot of people have this issue with this unit. So I bought other SUNSUN instead of this model and no issue at all

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks

Finnex Pimp #8
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to RedseaReefer
If it filters fine and your just worried about the o2 couldn't your just run an airstone?

|
|
|

ROAK Club #110
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 02:09 PM

Since I did not put this together I decided to back track and found something, epoxy inside the impeller area. I scraped it out as gently as possible and although it did improve flow it still isn't creating as much current as we expected. We're using only one of the two spray bars and I attached a 90* that has a smaller ID, creating a bit more flow.

As far as we can tell it's doing its job. Compared to the top filters the intake strainer isn't getting covered with junk, so somehow I feel the top mounts where doing a better job because the suction appeared stronger. That said the water only had to travel about 24" and now has to go 5'-6' round trip. If the filtration is better that's all that matters I suppose.

Perhaps we're missing the point a bit. The filter is meant to clean the water. If we want more current we can use powerheads, more O2 use an airstone. Good train of thought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedseaReefer View Post
If it filters fine and your just worried about the o2 couldn't your just run an airstone?
Great point. We've got plants and an airstone if necessary. Reading further I think we'll put the stone on a night timer.

Thanks again.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Planted Member

I'm not sure how long you've had the filter running but if it's been a few weeks I'd check the white filter pads since they are "Fine Filtration Pads" they will tend to clog fairly quickly since they are meant to trap fine particles.

One other thing I've found with mine is that it traps an astonishing amount of air in the motor housing I spent a good 10 min tipping mine from side to side and front to back to get most of the air out, I'm thinking this could also slow the flow rate down as well.

Canon Pimp Club #066, SunSun Pimp #75, Fraternity of Dirt #114,
DIY Stand Build -

55G Dirted Tank Journal -

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

If the flow isn't good doesn't that mean the filtering isn't good either? Don't we need a certain amount of GPH?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
So if it makes you guys feel any better, I will tell you my story. On my 55 Gallon, I switched from 4 HOB filters to a SunSun 304B. I wasn't blown away at first by the flow, especially since the 304 is made for a tank bigger than 55G's. Now after having it few a little while, I realize the flow is pretty good, becasuse a HOB is moving water at the surface, while the spray bar is about 5 inches under water. If a fish swims into the spray bar, it will get pushed away.

When I was setting mine up, it seems like it would have been easy to put way too many 90 degree angle bends on the return going to the spray bar. Try and make sure you have just the one.

How is the water level in the tank? That will affect the filter. Also, is your spray bar in the water? Or is it at the water level?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Algae Grower

First thing I did with mine was get rid of the cheap plastic intake and return. I used PVC and was able to make a much better setup. Drilled some holes in 1/2" tubing with a cap for the intake and used a three way pvc piece for return so it has two 1/2" return at 90 degrees. This works very well. The intake and return that ships with this is not only flimsy but it is much smaller than the tubing creating a big bottleneck to flow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode