The Planted Tank Forum banner

2 GAUGES does not mean DUAL STAGE

6K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  samamorgan 
#1 ·
OK, so ever since I got into CO2, I realized this is a pretty widespread misconception. So I want to educate people.

First off, when I first learned about CO2, I also made this mistake. Believe it or not, no one is born with this knowledge... ;)

ALL regulators take an incoming pressure and reduce it to a lower pressure. That is what the 2 gauges show you - the incoming and outgoing pressure. Some regulators that are also single stage have only one gauge. Those regulators are junk...

gauge 1 = incoming pressure
gauge 2 = outgoing pressure
EVERY regulator has in incoming and out going pressure.

A TWO STAGE regulator has an incoming pressure, a MIDDLE pressure, and of course, an outgoing pressure. These regulators also have TWO gauges. Why? Because no one wants to read the middle pressure (it should never change). But that middle pressure is till extremely important. It lets the pressure step down in TWO steps.

So how can you tell if it is dual stage? A dual stage has two seats, two diaphragms, and most importantly, two springs. These springs are large, and they have their own "compartment." Therefore, you will see a cylindrical shape jutting the front AND back. A single stage will have a flat back, or the inlet will be on the back.

Dual stage:

Single stage:

See less See more
#3 ·
So, I have a single stage Aquatek regulator that is preset to 30psi outbound pressure and has a needle valve for adjustment. I'm using it with a 20 oz. paintball tank with CGA320 -> paintball adapter.

What is the risk here? Is it end of tank dump? And, how can I minimize that risk? Right now I have a tank that was filled only a few days ago and it's showing 1200 psi on the input pressure. Can I just assume that I should refill it if the pressure drops to a few hundred psi?

Thanks for your help/input.

#28 ·
What is the risk here? Is it end of tank dump? And, how can I minimize that risk? Right now I have a tank that was filled only a few days ago and it's showing 1200 psi on the input pressure. Can I just assume that I should refill it if the pressure drops to a few hundred psi?.
Few hundred psi drop is still ok. I always wait until the tank gets empty.

I have experience using Dual stage and single stage. Dual Stage have more control than single stage. Im running less than 5psi (Yes, near empty!) in my CO2 tank since Monday and there are still bubbles running at regular output. Im using Victor Dual stage VTS series.

I dont have this same experience with my Single stage regulator before. All I saw was, I have 50psi today and next day its empty. Thats what they called EOTD.

#8 ·
Well, in theory there's no reason a dual stage regulator couldn't have a flat back. It would just make for an incredibly massive, heavy regulator.

But I don't know of any duals that do. If you do a regulator search on Evilbay, any regulator that has a flat back, or is lying flat on a surface, is single stage.

Generally speaking, if the gauges are at the very back of the regulator, it's a single, and if they're in the middle-ish, it's a dual. You can always do a search for the model numbers, or ask somebody here.

#10 ·
I don't know if the reg is junk or not. But one gauge means you're missing important information. I assume it shows working pressure? If so, how do you know when it's time to refill the cylinder? Short of finding out there's no CO2 left at a point where you won't be able to make it to the refill shop for the next five days or so, I mean.

I've heard of Dupla, but have never seen a Dupla reg. That's an interesting design.

#11 ·
Kev, I just keep an eye on it when I know that roughly it will be starting to get empty. Then when the working pressure starts to drop, I change over cylinders.

But maybe I've just been lucky the last 5 years and caught it when the cylinders were getting low on pressure? Reading all these end of cylinder disaster stories I'm thinking I should update my reg to a dual stage???

#12 ·
to answer your question about if your dupla is junk, I dont think it is. Most of us dual stage users have gotten so used to our regulators that we view anything that is not up to the same quality as junk. If you want to compare your dupla to my ss dual stage with a ss ideal valve, then its junk. But if your dupla works, then thats awesome, keep using it. My used rimmed aquarium is junk compared to a nice rimless ada tank. I dont think btimmer meant anything bad.

The dual stage regulators we use are industrial equipment made to last a lifetime. Thats no joke either.

#17 ·
so this Leland regulator is junk?
\

How about if we put an ADA logo on it, instead?

I think it would do much better to actually explain why "junk" regulators are junk. Not make vast generalizations. LOTS of people have used Single gauge, and single stage regulators for longer than you've been alive. People have used the Rex regulator for 2 decades with minimal problems. Obviously, someone above used this dupla for 5 years and no problems....

#27 ·
LOL, don't even get me started on ADA, I bet that ADA setup sells for 3x what your Leland setup cost you. AND no, That is not a junk setup. Like I said earlier, you are just much better off with 2 gauges. I mis-spoke when i called the regulators "junk", some might work fine, however I would never buy a reg with one gauge.

#19 ·
The issue is most use the term junk as an over exaggeration. I've been using Milwaukee's for over five years with the stock needle valves. I know they are not the best (quality wise, when comparing builds), but to say they are junk when there are probably more people using the brand then most other brands combined is just a gross exaggeration. I have five year old fish and pearling plants for quite too long for this to be true. For the price and plug n play setup it's gotten more people into co2 over the years and from there they might have stepped up to a different reg, but for me and countless others they work fine.

#23 ·
the stat's do not lie, while plenty of folks might like their Chinese pet food, plenty of folks loss animals. It's the stat's, the no# of folks with reported issues that count, to my knowledge, no one has EVER reported an issue with a Victor.

I've been on many boards for 15+ years, never seen an issue. Milwaukees, I've personally removed and had issues with 20 of them on client's and other local members. 20!!!

That's frigging an insane no# of loused up regs..........no matter how it is rationalized. Victors? Not one.........now there is still a chance that a victor may have an issue, but comparatively........the likeihood is very very small.

#37 ·
Did this thread really need to be started? There are actually people out there that recognize a difference in regulators between single and dual stage and don't understand what the gauges do? I find that sort of hard to believe, maybe I have too much faith in people!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.