Canister filtration for 75 gal: Please advise - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Canister filtration for 75 gal: Please advise

I have decided to make the plunge into pressurised CO2 injection for my 75 gallon planted tank. While the CO2 system itself seems pretty straght forward concerning what equipment is needed, I find myself running in circles over filtration. My plan is to purchase and set up the new filtration and let it stabalize (and allow me to gather more $$) for a month or so before I purchase and set up the CO2 system.

After reading around the web about canister filters, I want to make sure what I purchase will do the job as far as having proper water flow and filtration capabilities.

I am trying to have as little equipment in the tank as possible, as this tank is in my living area, and I would prefer to just see the tank, not a ton of hardware.

I would like to get an inline CO2 reactor (most likely a PVC DIY build) and an inline heater (I believe the Hydor ETH 300w is the one I have read the most about). I have come to the conclusion that this would probably be best if I had 2 canisters, with one inline item on each canister output as opposed to having multiple inline items on one filter. Please correct me if this is wrong.

If I do go the 2 canister route, should they be set up in the same manner, or should one be geared more to bio and one toward mechanical?

As far as the filter choice, I was considering 2 Rena filstar XP2s, as I seem to have found more favorable opinions of these filters than unfavorable. Would this be adequate? Does someone out there have another recomendation?

While I know many folks have preferences for one brand over another, I would love to hear some final opinions of people before I make any purchases. I won't go so far as to say "price is no object" because it definately is, however I am willing to spend the money on quality equipment when it offeres concrete advantages to do so.

Please speak up to either tell me I have made a grand choice, or if I have grossly mislead myself here.

Thank you

"I laugh because I dare not cry. This is a crazy world and the only way to enjoy it is to treat it as a joke. That doesn't mean I don't read and can't think."
- The Number of the Beast, Robert A. Heinlein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Mog
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hi,

I have a 75g as well and sounds like in the same boat as you. I upgraded from a fluval 304 to an XP3. And right now, I'm more than happy with the filtration and flow from a single XP3 on my tank. Originally, I was going to use the nozzle, but ended up using the flow bar mounted on the side facing the opposite side. I had to use the valve to limit the output as the flow was a bit too much...

I built a rex grigg reactor and have a Hydor 300 as well that I'm going to add this week. Since I have the flow limited right now, I'm fairly sure that adding the reactor and Hydor inline won't be much of an issue. Make sure you get the 5/8 Hydor and built your reactor using 5/8 connectors and you should be fine.

My tank is fully stocked (60 fish), moderately planted until things grow in and really don't expect any need to add a second filter.

When I first installed the power nozzle that came with the XP3, fish and plants were blowing all over the place... I had to disconnect it asap. So worse case scenario, even with a fully planted tank, I have no doubts that the power nozzle would be fine... but I plan on sticking with the flow bar on the side, looks nice and clean and works well.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I drove a reactor 1000 with a XP3 for several years. Worked ~OK~, not great. never got good circulation/dispersion, even with a Koralia 1 thrown in to help. I tried several inlet/outlet combinations both purchased and DIY. The XP3 finally went belly up. Maybe 4 years old. I've been using Fluvals for almost 20 years and never had one fail me, so I don't put much stock in Rena at this point.

I replaced the Rena with a Lifegard Aquatics modular setup using the 4000HH pump and two 9" mechanical modules (with combination cartridges) running in parallel. Other than the pleats, one cartridge is filled with carbon and the other with Purigen.

My plants and water have never looked better. I've got plenty of flow now to run three inlet strainers and four metered outlets on line-lok. The Koralia is still running during the day but I shut it down at night to give the fish a rest.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode