CO2 Tubing and Diffusion Method - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
CO2 Tubing and Diffusion Method

What tubing do you use and what is the ID and OD of it? I was thinking about getting some Tygon tubing but don't know what size. I'm also worried if getting a thicker wall tubing will be to hard to get on to delicate parts like my glass bubble counter and glass diffuser. I've used normal silicone tubing on my past pressurized system but have been reading its not the best tubing to be using. Any tips or insight?

Also I am setting up CO2 now on 75 low light. I want to make sure CO2 isn't a limiting factor in case you are wondering why CO2 on a low light. Anyway, I was planning to used a decent size glass diffuser, one rated for my size tank, and place it on the bottom of the tank but underneath my koralia 750 so it gets pushed around the tank more. Do you think this will provide good enough CO2 levels and diffusion or would a reactor be so much better that I should do that. Is a DIY reactor like Rex type for example really a ton better? If it is, the main question is does it make any noise. If it does then don't bother, this tank needs to be silent as it will be in the main living room with the whole family and no one wants to hear any excess noise.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use cheapo PVC tubing from the LFS. I replaced with new cheapo PVC after a year, but honestly there was no deterioration, discoloring, or stiffness. My $.99 rubber cap check valve was still operating flawlessly also.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
as for the tubing, lee's makes pvc tubing in clear green (elite) and black (sleek). not sure if they're still making the elite series. it is a little thicker than the sleek and a little more rigid. the sleek can collapse under slight vacuum (as when the solenoid is off).

as for reactor vs glass diffuser, i use a reactor because i do not like the look of mist in the tank. i think it's slightly more efficient as well. the only noise i can hear is a gurgling, but it's not unpleasant, much like a babbling brook; it can be heard several feet away, however. i think for your purposes, diffuser and koralia or two along with current from your filter should be enough.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (67/99%)
when you say pvc, do you mean silicone ariline tubing? that is not pvc. PVC is a large diameter, hard, white, plastic plumping pipe.

-Bill

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Polyvinyl chloride, or PVC, is a type of plastic which comes in a variety of forms, of which, PVC pipe is the one most folks are most familiar with. Other forms include flexible tubing and thin sheeting.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...8587&catid=864

That's what you'd want if you went with Tygon.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

oh so vinyl tubing is actually pvc?

-Bill

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not sure, I only know enough about the subject to be dangerous.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Ordinary cheap silicon tubing from PetSmart works fine. The myth about high leakage through the tube walls is just that, a myth. That leakage is much greater than through vinyl tubing, but neither is enough to ever be significant.

Hoppy
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So vinyl would actually be better of the two common tubing we find in stores. So I may just do vinyl tubing until I order some Tygon tubing.

As far as diffusion method, I'm still lost on what I should pick? The glass diffuser and Koralia seem like they would be good. I also have on hand a spare old tiny Rio 180 that had the impeller blades cut a while back (like DIY needlewheel but only had 4 blades to begin with, now 8 after cut) and also an old fluval plus one internal filter on hand. I prefer to not have a lot of clutter in the tank and think the glass diffusers look really nice actually. I've considered a DIY reactor like a Rex style but I really don't know how loud they are. This is going to be in the main living room with the family so it needs to be pretty quiet. I also have a spare Marineland Magnum 350 on hand too. Could or should I use that as a reactor? Like maybe just take everything out and fill with bio balls or just leave things in. Maybe connect airline to ceramic airstone that is stuck into the inlet strainer so co2 bubbles get sucked in. I heard the 350 can't airlock because of the impeller's position.

Which is my best method for nice co2 diffusion but also staying pretty quiet?

PS. Should I run an airstone at night or once solenoid turns off and co2 stops, it will be fine?

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Get an atomic diffuser from shrimplab. 55mm for $20 shipped. Here is a video of mine. It's amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zAu4rlZY1Q

-Bill

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Algae Grower

I don't know the size of your tank but for a smaller tank (less then 30 gallons) a diffuser is the way to go.

Just about any reactor is going to make noise. How much noise it makes is dependent on its design and flow rate throughout.. I have never heard of a noisy diffuser.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

My tank is a 75 gallon. I really would go the route of the atomic diffuser but I don't know if it would work for me. I have an Aquatek Regulator on this tank for simplicity and they are preset on working pressure. I haven't used it yet so I don't know what the working pressure is but I think it is around 20 - 25 psi so I don't think the atomic could work. I may just have to stick with the glass when it comes to diffusers.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I have two DIY reactors on my 90G and each is run on it's own XP3. The only time I'll get any noise is when I clean the canisters and they get extra air in them. I'm running CO2 bubble count to each faster than I could begin to calculate. My mechanical timers are the loudest thing under the tank.

I've ran these and then tried a couple different types of inline diffusers and both times came back to these. I don't think they worked better and didn't care for the mist look at all.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hmmm... This is tough. No gurgling noises or anything? What design of DIY reactor?

I'm stuck between what to go with!

The sooner I pick the best option for my tank, the sooner I can set this bad boy up. This is one of the last remaining aspects to plan for my tank before I begin to put it all in action.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode