The Planted Tank Forum banner

Drop checker solution harmful?

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Logrui 
#1 ·
I just received a drop checker yesterday in the mail and put it in the tank a little while ago, it fell off causing the contents to leak into the tank... is the dropper solution toxic?

#6 ·
i have only have one real checker. i DIY'd the other one. the real one i just got and the suction cup that came with it is doing fine. and the one i made i had a nice suction cup laying around, and thats been fine too. not sure why yours keep falling, failty suction cups?

#7 ·
My first one was one of the plastic Azoo brand checker, it was fine the first fill then when I took it off to refresh the solution it fell off when I stuck it back in the tank. This one is one of the glass ones that I got off Ebay and I first stuck it in one of the tanks that I'm cycling last night to make sure it was safe before I took it and stuck it in the big tank this morning. Both checkers have faultered after being removed and then put back in.

#12 ·
My Waterplant ones just leak from the two parts that link up. I think it might be the o-ring in it. They slowly empty their contents after 2 days which isn't a problem because its 120 gallons of water but its very annoying because I don't know where I am in terms of Co2 levels lol.

#16 ·
Drop checkers usually use a 4 dkH reference solution (where carbonates are the only contributing species to kH), and bromothymol blue.

Sometimes, vendors/sellers will mix the two together for simplicity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.