CO2 Equipment Questions - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-05-2021, 11:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NapTeamCaptain View Post
I would love to put it right before the T section, but i just dont enough space there.
And thanks for taking a look at the hosuing I linked. I'm trying to save as much money as i can (this hobby is not cheap), so the current price of $50 or $45 is just too much

Sent from my SM-A215U1 using Tapatalk
Sorry to hear you cannot afford the 20" x 4.5" housing. I think you may run into problems with keeping your CO2 levels up using a sump and only running a 10" x 2.5" housing. I hope I am wrong but I've seen others not be able to do it.

Oh, if you think planted tanks are expensive, you definitely do not want to know the costs involved in reef keeping! :-)
Greggz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-05-2021, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferRusso View Post
Sorry to hear you cannot afford the 20" x 4.5" housing. I think you may run into problems with keeping your CO2 levels up using a sump and only running a 10" x 2.5" housing. I hope I am wrong but I've seen others not be able to do it.

Oh, if you think planted tanks are expensive, you definitely do not want to know the costs involved in reef keeping! :-)
Agree with above.

You definitely want a 20" filter housing for a tank that size. You'll never get the results you want with the smaller housing.

It that's a deal breaker, you might not be prepared for the costs involved a planted tank. Not saying that to be rude, just being truthful.

It may not be reef expensive, but believe me it adds up. And if there is one thing I have learned, do it right the first time. Cheap usually = replacing it down the road and even more cost.

If I were you, I wouldn't give much credence to Youtubers. Get to know some successful folks with similar sized tanks to yours, and pick their brains. They will guide you with practical experience.

Good luck and look forward to seeing what you come up with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-06-2021, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, I was worried about that. I dont really plan on putting in an additional filter because the purpose is for CO2. The 2.5vs4.5 is only the filter ring size, not the actual width of the housing itself (as previously mentioned by another user. Thank you). So im thinking just getting a 20"x2.5".

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 04:16 AM
Algae Grower

Jeffkrol - thank you so much - I've
had a hard time getting good info on Co2 with sums and straight answers.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 04:29 AM
Algae Grower

Jellopuddingpop - question for you as you've clearly got a lot of practical experience on this...How do you plumb a reactor in the sump? Detail - .I have a 180gallon waterbox with a 40gallin sump - have done an initial heavy planting - looking at dual stage regulator from CO2AIR - their recommendation on a diffuser vs a reactor has been vague despite 2 emails with specific questions. Sounds like you'd recommend a reactor - can you explain how id plumb a reactor in a sump, or share a link? Many thanks! Appreciate your help, newbie here to real planted tanks.
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmotionalFescue View Post
just to be clear, the housing is 5" in diameter at the top. it takes 2.5" cartridges if using it as an actual RO housing. you can get housings that take 4.5" cartridges, like this one:

https://ifilters.com/products/water-...bb3abed7&_ss=r

i don't have any issues with the linked housing, but i have plumbed a bypass to reduce reactor flow, and my largest tank is 80 system gallons. i can definitely see how a larger one could be useful for a much larger tank than my own.
don't assume, that is why a lot of people picking the 20X 2.5 thinking it is more efficient than the 10X 4.5.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
don't assume, that is why a lot of people picking the 20X 2.5 thinking it is more efficient than the 10X 4.5.
Yup. I checked the dimensions, the housing itself is 20"x5"x5"

post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapTeamCaptain View Post
Yup. I checked the dimensions, the housing itself is 20"x5"x5"

compare it is inner diameter of the case, where the threads at, it is also the wildest position.

correction:
ehh, actually, compare the inner diameter at the middle of the shell case.

see the difference? anyway, 20X2.5 is fine as long as it works well for your planted tank, ...
ReeferRusso likes this.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Last edited by Bettatail; 01-07-2021 at 04:58 AM. Reason: add pic
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 03:39 PM
Algae Grower

i'm new here and genuinely curious...

i see plenty of people noting they use 20" housings for diy cerges reactors - are any/many/most using the 20x4.5? having the 2.5" cartridge versions and seeing how big they are, and looking at that picture^, they must be truly massive!
ReeferRusso likes this.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmotionalFescue View Post
i'm new here and genuinely curious...

i see plenty of people noting they use 20" housings for diy cerges reactors - are any/many/most using the 20x4.5? having the 2.5" cartridge versions and seeing how big they are, and looking at that picture^, they must be truly massive!
how big the filter housing to choose, depends on the water flow rate and the size of your planted tank.

as I said, 20 X 2.5 is fine if it works well, what I want to make clear here is the 10 X 4.5 is more efficient than the 20 X 2.5 for co2 diffusion, so if you can pick the 4.5 diameter and it is best to avoid 2.5, and of course, the best is 20 X 4.5 if it is needed for a large planted tank.

add:
20x4.5 or 10x4.5 is not big, it is big if the planted tank it works with is normal size.
ReeferRusso likes this.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Last edited by Bettatail; 01-07-2021 at 10:22 PM. Reason: add
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I've used this exact build on an FX5 with no problems. Black tubing inside the filter is just 1" corrugated pond tubing cut to size. I'd recommend this type of reactor for your 125g tank. You can also split a line before and after the reactor with a ball valve on the other line to control how much flow goes into the reactor if for whatever reason it is too much. This build was about $30 total:

Clear 10" filter housing with 3/4" ports - $20 on eBay
3/4" PVC nipple - $0.78 from PVC Fittings Online
3/4" FPT Tee - $1.41
3/4" x 1/4" reducer MPT x FPT - $0.60
3/4" Barb x MPT adapter - (2) $1.62
1/4" MPT x 3/16" barb brass fitting - $5 at Home Depot

Last edited by Capsaicin_MFK; 01-07-2021 at 11:36 PM. Reason: photo
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 06:19 PM
Algae Grower

So what actually breaks up the CO2 bubbles in something like this? I'm asking because I pick up a system tomorrow that I am putting on my 180 gal and Something like this would work better I think.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

CO2 will simply dissolve in water, as long as there is enough surface area of the gas bubbles (diffuser), or there is something that keep the bubble tumbling in current (reactor). The purpose of this discussion is that there needs to be the correct amount of water flow for the amount of CO2 you're injecting. Too much flow, and the water pushes the bubbles out of the reactor. To little flow, and the bubbles gather into a pocket at the top of the reactor.
Capsaicin_MFK likes this.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsaicin_MFK View Post
I've used this exact build on an FX5 with no problems. Black tubing inside the filter is just 1" corrugated pond tubing cut to size. I'd recommend this type of reactor for your 125g tank. You can also split a line before and after the reactor with a ball valve on the other line to control how much flow goes into the reactor if for whatever reason it is too much. This build was about $30 total:

Clear 10" filter housing with 3/4" ports - $20 on eBay
3/4" PVC nipple - $0.78 from PVC Fittings Online
3/4" FPT Tee - $1.41
3/4" x 1/4" reducer MPT x FPT - $0.60
3/4" Barb x MPT adapter - (2) $1.62
1/4" MPT x 3/16" barb brass fitting - $5 at Home Depot

Oh sweet. Thanks for the detailed build explanation. I was looking for where to find the adapter for the co2 tubing cause i couldn't find the name of it. My housing should come in tomorrow. Amazon said the dimensions were 20x4.5, but the photos looks kinda sketch. If it's not, then I'll have to return it.

post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemp111 View Post
So what actually breaks up the CO2 bubbles in something like this? I'm asking because I pick up a system tomorrow that I am putting on my 180 gal and Something like this would work better I think.
From what I've seen, people fill up the housing a type of media of their choosing. I plan on taking a sponge that ill cut to size for a disk or two, and then fill the rest of the housing with small lava rocks. Im gonna try about 1/3 sponge and 2/3 lava rock.

Last edited by NapTeamCaptain; 01-08-2021 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Typo

Tags
co2, diffuser, help needed, question, regulator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode