Loading an Eheim 2017 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Loading an Eheim 2017

After reading the “Bio Media” thread and researching for a few hours I started to wonder if I have my Eheim 2017s loaded correctly. As you know the inflow is from the bottom and goes up through (1) ceramic rings, (2) a course sponge, (3) bio media, and finally (4) through mechanical filter media which are filter pads.
Questions and opinions....can I change the bio media to pot scrubbers? Shouldn’t the bio media be in the #4 position? Would it be helpful to have the mechanical media in 3 stages of foams from course to fine? All opinions are welcomed and I thank you for them in advance.

Last edited by GoodOldDays; 11-20-2020 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 01:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldDays View Post
Questions and opinions....can I change the bio media to pot scrubbers? Shouldn’t the bio media be in the #4 position? Would it be helpful to have the mechanical media in 3 stages of foams from course to fine? All opinions are welcomed and I thank you for them in advance.
Pot scrubbers or foam is the best media to use as you have read. Don't have to clean your canister for like 6+ months like other have said.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Depends on what you have going on in the tank and how much time you want to spend. I often just go with the stock media that comes with the Eheim as it works and I don't worry the issue too much.
There are reasons for the big ceramic at the bottom as it makes multiple paths up through to spread the water flow more fully across the bottom layer rather than simply coming in and going up. Pot scrubbers do okay for mechanical and bio but they will not spread the flow as Eheim designed it, so I go with the pro folks. After the first layer which works to do both the spreading and really course mechanical like catching leaf bits, I have the course foam to keep more of the grime off the bio and then I do often have some form of finer pad as a last step before back to the tank. I find a multi-layer bonded pad is great for most of my tanks and use what is designed for commercial air handlers as a cheap "cut-to fit" item. If the filtering is doing what you want, I would not remove the rings as they do two different jobs for you, which other things will not do as well. If you put something like a sponge there, you may find you have to clean as bits of debris will clog that one spot where the incoming water hits it and you may have to clean more often.
Sam the Slayer likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 03:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I over all agree with plantedrich. You could change it up if you want to but why? Some bio rings in the bottom and sponge pads the rest of the way up would have been an excellent way to go in the beginning but how you have it is just as good and already in place so if it ain’t broke...

In my classic I run bottom up 1. bio rings 2. 2x coarse sponge pads 3. matrix 4. thin layer of filter floss (pillow floss) because it came with the filter and am happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
eheim 2017

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode