JBL e1502 loud vibration - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello everyone, my first post here but I've been following this forum for years 😊

I recently got JBL e1502 canister filter and hooked up jbl pro temp external heater to it.
The canister is so loud!

I have jbl e702 next to it and it's completely silent.

I tried first fitting the canister inside the cabinet and keeping the hoses away from everything to avoid the vibration transfer, loudness ended up being even worse inside the cabinet..

It's like fridge, around 65dB next to it, basically very annoying when in living room.

Anyone have experience with this canister?
How is it for you?
There's one more on it's way (i have 300L 120p) and I don't dare even unpacking it until i figure out how to make this one more quiet ☹️
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:10 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
There is probably some air in there. I don't have experience with that manufacturer, but their web page says there is a priming pump on that model. Try pumping that. If you hear air in the water, or if the pump doesn't move smoothly, there is air present. Keep pumping. Some of my cans have a prime pump, and others do not. If there's no prime pump, shake the can or tip it back and forth to help the air find its way out. If that's not it, there may be something stuck on the impeller assembly. There is a magnet on there and it may have collected something, or maybe there's a piece of hair or something wrapped or stuck on the shaft.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Since there are only two moving parts on canister filter, impeller and water, it is usually easy to spot the problems with a little looking.
One clue is what type of noise is made. If it is a steady repeated noise like small thumps or clicking, there may be something not right on the impeller and a look at it will usually show something like a flaw in the blades, or one broken. Looking for something that rubs the side or throws the impeller balance off?
If you are going to tear down to open the filter, just a short quick run without water will show the noise. Do not run very long without water as it does act as a lube of sorts so don't run so long it wears things!
But often the noise is a swishing gurgle noise which is air left around the impeller. This is when tilting the canister and kind of "rotating" it up on first one corner and then another will let the air in the portion where the impeller sets, move to the output and up into the tank. No need to bang the thing around, just move things to let air go up and out.
There are also times when we may find we have not got things put together quite right and left a small leak at some connection or the head of the canister so that we are constantly pulling air in to keep making noise. Also look at the flow and lines to see that there is not a droop or dip in the lines where water is blocking air moving out, this usually leaves a very weak flow but check the lines for large pockets of air an place them so they lead more directly up to the tank.
I find experience builds confidence so that it is easier to spot what I screw up on the fifth time I do the same ????

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode