Bimetal thermometer, how to adjust/reset? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/98%)
Question Bimetal thermometer, how to adjust/reset?

I have several stainless steel bimetal thermometers, and recently got another 5" diameter ashcroft CI series thermometer, (only cost me $11), but this new thermometer is about 5 degree Fahrenheit lower than the actual temperature, and there is no reset screw on the back of the meter as others that I own.
So anyone have experience on this model of the bimetal thermometer? and how to calibrate it? I don't want to mess with it before I can find the valuable advice.

any suggestions are welcome, and appreciated.

here is the thermometer:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Last edited by Bettatail; 11-17-2020 at 03:48 AM. Reason: add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 07:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sealed cases. Not seeing any way to recalibrate it without disassembly.

Externally adj use a pinion gear and internal gearing to adj " something"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1605597581376
The pdf has a simple exploded diagram.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Sealed cases. Not seeing any way to recalibrate it without disassembly.

Externally adj use a pinion gear and internal gearing to adj " something"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1605597581376
The pdf has a simple exploded diagram.
thank you, Jeff, I did go through the PDF before post the question here, I can not find the answer on the pdf.

it is sealed cases, but can be open-- once turn open the ring case, there is rubber washer/seal between the meter body and the glass panel.
But the face plate with two tiny screws near the center of the triangular needle(picture 1), is where I stopped, I did not want to go further unless I am sure what I am doing.

Canon Pimp Club #17

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks like you have to go further in my
opinion.

You prob. need to get to the internal gear abd see if you can manually adj it there

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
How did you verify it is not accurate?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Looks like you have to go further in my
opinion.

You prob. need to get to the internal gear abd see if you can manually adj it there
According to the Ashcroft website it is externally adjustable.

I would venture the screw labelled "Reset" on page 2 of this pdf is the calibration

https://www.ashcroft-gauges.com/ther...er-bimetal.pdf

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-19-2020 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 09:47 PM
Algae Grower

Most if not all of those have a large nut on the back. Just use a pair of pliers hold it tight, moved the entire screw and watch the needle move. Done it lot's of times for grill thermometers.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

His doesn't unfortunately. Ashcroft has hermetically sealed models sooo external nut us not there.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thank you, guys, but this model has no reset screw on the back, I will probably take out the screws on the face plate to reach the internal, as Jeff suggested.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Bad news, can not reach the internal by taking out the two screws on the face plate,

and

Good news, I found a proper way to adjust this thermometer(if I did take it apart I would just ruin it), now trying to get the required special tool.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 06:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
Bad news, can not reach the internal by taking out the two screws on the face plate,

and

Good news, I found a proper way to adjust this thermometer(if I did take it apart I would just ruin it), now trying to get the required special tool.

What about this?
Quote:
https://www.ashcroft.eu/pictures/pdf...10811%20JM.pdf
7.4.1 Zero point adjustmentOn thermometers with an external adjustment option, rotate using a screwdriver until the pointer is showing the desired temperature on the scale.
On thermometers with a bayonet ring, remove the ring, take hold of the pointer using two fingers on the broader part close to thebearing, and use a small screwdriver to rotate the bearing by an estimated angle. Then letgo of the pointerand read off the value displayed. Repeat this operation until the desired value is being displayed.Then seal the housing tightly again using the bayonet ring, the glass and the sealing ring.
Prob wrong model but anyways.. good luck..
Quote:
This series is tamper proof, her-metically sealed and has the Maxivi-sion® dial. The connection locations are rear and lower. The CI series of Ashcroft® industrial bimetal thermom-eters was designed for applications where external adjustment or pointer reset are not desired.
ahhh desires..

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-21-2020 at 07:02 AM. Reason: edit
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Jeff, thank you for the detail, you found the section shows how to externally reset and pointer reset for the adjustable models, also the section that points out none of these methods work on the CI series thermometer which I have.

but, what I found is the third reset method, should work on the CI series, it is the reason I mention I need the special tools,
I will see if I can make it work once I have the tool.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode