• 2 Post By deeda
  • 2 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 3 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Angry Can a tank be deeper than cabinet?

Hi folks,

I ordered 50 gal UNS 90P tank + cabinet but while cabinet is here, aquarium delivery date is disappearing ... (covid).

I'm looking at other options. Waterbox does have a similar size aquarium but 5cm deeper than the UNS cabinet.

Cabinet surface = 900mm x 450mm
Aquarium base = 900mm x 500mm

If I go for that aquarium, and push it back so the front is flush with cabinet, but the back hangs out a little bit (5cm) from the cabinet, I wonder if that would present any danger? Would the base be strong enough (it's built with 1cm glass).

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 10:18 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquariums need support along all four bottom edges. Any over hang will eventually crack one of the sides.

-Preeths
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 03:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would add a board the length of the rear of the stand to support the tank overhang.
Blue Ridge Reef and fishie777 like this.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 04:16 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Agree. If the top is flat, you should be able to cut a piece of plywood to fit, and put the tank mat on that. I did that with my Dennerle tanks that no one seems to make a stand for earlier this year: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...-2020-a-4.html
deeda and fishie777 like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks folks 🙂
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 04:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

With smaller aquariums I wouldn't mind using a piece of 3/4 plywood but for a 50 gallon.. I would not rely on plywood to be the sole support of nearly 2 inches of a 50 gallon tank including 2 of the corners.

You could get a piece of granite counter top cut and I feel like that could be strong enough ... maybe. Honestly if it were me I would either return the cabinet or wait for the proper tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 11:42 PM

I have a Waterbox 4820 with cabinet and the tank. The cabinet doors are designed to sit flush with the doors. So when the doors are open there will be a little bit of overhang from the tank. The materials the tank and cabinet are made off are designed to compensate for the overhang. No need to put plywood underneath.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 11:48 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
With smaller aquariums I wouldn't mind using a piece of 3/4 plywood but for a 50 gallon.. I would not rely on plywood to be the sole support of nearly 2 inches of a 50 gallon tank including 2 of the corners.
Good catch, my friend! Appreciate you doing the math. I don't do well with metric and when I saw the measurement in millimeters my brain just assumed it was slight. Rather than go with granite or stone, I'd think a couple of 2x4s at each back corner (from top to floor) would make plywood sturdy enough. But yeah, a 2" overhang could be trouble, especially if it were to get wet.
minorhero likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

For that much of a hang over I would screw and glue a 2" x 4" horizontally along the back top edge of the current stand and leave it 1/16" or so proud of the top of the stand. I would then trim the 2x4 flush to the top with a router and flush trim bit. I think this would be much better support than a 3/4" piece of plywood and probably look better too.

OK, a 2 x 4 won't give you the 50mm you need. Be creative and laminate a couple pieces of thinner wood if needed.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode