canister filter size - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Rid
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
canister filter size

I have just ordered a fluvial 407 for my 75 gallon tank. THEN I measured the space in my cabinet, and i only have about 19.5" of clearance under there. Also, the rim that goes around the perimeter is only 17" above the storage shelf height. Fluvial website says the canister is 19.3" high, so i'm sure that will be too crammed.

Amazon says the Sun Sun filter is 17" high, so i'm hoping i can go this route. Can these tubes start to bend down somewhat after leaving the filter and still work properly? does anybody here have one of these and can confirm the height from bottom of canister to top of the black tube connectors?

Thanks,
Ridley

Last edited by Rid; 10-23-2020 at 04:11 PM. Reason: clarification and request
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Rid
Algae Grower

As an alternate, would it be save to cut a hole in the bottom shelf? its a composite board stand.
Ridiley
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 05:07 PM
Algae Grower

I have a fluval 307. It is sitting in my cabinet with a roof space of about 5.5 inches and I drilled two holes on the roof to run my hose through the cabinet. This roof room is just nicely reaching its limit when doing maintenance for the canister. My fluval 307 measured at a height of ~13 inches (canister body only). It have this adaptor for the hose connection protruding by ~2.5 inch. Hence, there is about 2.5 inches of space for me to pull out the adaptor when I wanted to take out my canister for cleaning. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Rid
Algae Grower

That helps a ton, thank you so much! does the round piece immediately below the red nozzle allow you to change the angle of the tubes as they approach the canister?

if so it looks like i'm going to be ok with 17" of height -
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 10:24 PM
Algae Grower

A Sunsun 303B is only 16 inches high.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 06:00 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rid View Post
That helps a ton, thank you so much! does the round piece immediately below the red nozzle allow you to change the angle of the tubes as they approach the canister?

The angle can't be changed.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Rid
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbernie View Post
Quote:

The angle can't be changed.

Thank you
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 02:01 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just a little food for thought - I am running a Fluval FX4 on my 75g tank. Vertically I have about the same clearance as your setup. Part of the reason I went with the FX4 was for increased circulation within the tank and the capacity to handle a higher bio load.
Post 872 has a lot of good info

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 10:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

My Fluval 407 sits at about 19.5" (so 19.3" is right) not including the hoses. If you only have 19.5" of clearance, I don't think it would be possible to use the 407. If you have 19.5" of clearance to get it inside the filter, but once in the space is larger, you might be OK.

Edit: For less than a 407, you can double up on a couple of SunSun 303b's - which is what I'd do, in your shoes, for a 75 gallon. My 75 is filtered by a single SunSun HW-3000 and I wouldn't purchase this filter again. It's 90% good, 10% bad. The bad parts are that the flow isn't anywhere near the stated maximum - standard for most canisters, but I feel this model is particularly overrated in terms of GPH, and the priming method. You need to unscrew a cap on the intake side and fill the hose with water. It's quite effective! But it also prevents you from using aftermarket intakes such as a lily pipe with skimmer. It comes with a surface skimmer but it's too weak as it will suck air into the filter unless you turn the flow setting down considerably even with the bottom vent open full bore.

|
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Rid
Algae Grower

I ordered a Sunsun 304 b. Amazon says it is 17” high, so hopefully it will barely fit
varanidguy likes this.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 07:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I ordered a Sunsun 304 b. Amazon says it is 17 high, so hopefully it will barely fit
It's a good choice for an affordable filter! Truth be told, I wish I got one instead of the 3000. Keep in mind it uses 3/4" hoses in case you want to use a custom intake or output, or plumb anything in line.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

|
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Rid
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Quote:
I ordered a Sunsun 304 b. Amazon says it is 17” high, so hopefully it will barely fit
It's a good choice for an affordable filter! Truth be told, I wish I got one instead of the 3000. Keep in mind it uses 3/4" hoses in case you want to use a custom intake or output, or plumb anything in line.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Thank you!
varanidguy likes this.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Rid
Algae Grower

Well, the SunSun 304b was pretty close to 19” with the nozzles that receive the tubes, so it did not fit.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 01:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Well, the SunSun 304b was pretty close to 19 with the nozzles that receive the tubes, so it did not fit.
Do you have pictures of the stand and what it looks like inside it?

|
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Rid
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Quote:
Well, the SunSun 304b was pretty close to 19” with the nozzles that receive the tubes, so it did not fit.
Do you have pictures of the stand and what it looks like inside it?
I have 16.75” of space from the interior shelf to the back rim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6C8BFAF4-8F48-4D63-8986-DCADADFC01EF_1603759748260.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	904655  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode