What happened to the old Rena Filstar Canister Filters? - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Smile What happened to the old Rena Filstar Canister Filters?

Hi guys, I haven't been here in a long time, but I still have my tanks up and running.

Today, I wanted to recommend to a friend a Rena Filstar canister filter, but I discovered they're not readily available anymore. What happened to them? Were they bought out by another company? Did they just stop being popular, in favor of newer canisters? Did the company go bankrupt? Was production be slowed down or stopped due to the pandemic? Did aliens in a UFO beam them all up for all their favorite glowing fish?

Back when I set up all my tanks, the Rena Filstar canister filters were vey popular. They had sizes from X1 to X4, referring to their physical size and the amount of water they could filter in an hour. I really liked them and have been running 8 of them for years: one X1, three X2s, and four X4s (plus a spare X4 never used and still in the box). All of my Rena Filstar filters are still working which is amazing when you consider how long I've had them (bought my first ones in 2008).

So I'm perplexed to find that they are no longer widely available. Does anyone know what happened to them? Is there another filter designed the same way that would be a good substitute for them? Or have canister filters advanced well beyond the type of filters made back when the Rena Filstar filters were so popular?

BTW, hi to any of my old friends still on here, and nice to meet you to the new friends that have joined since I used to be on here. 😊

VickiStill running most of my tanks.

90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
                     75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29g -
                    8g - Plants only
5g - Plants only                 2.5g -
Retired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 11:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
I’ve been wondering the same thing myself. Ive got a xp3 that needs a new o-ring. I’ve been away for a few years too. I just got a new filter.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
Ive been wondering the same thing myself. Ive got a xp3 that needs a new o-ring. Ive been away for a few years too. I just got a new filter.
Which filter did you get? Fortunately, I don't need a new one now, but I'm at a loss of what to suggest to my friend.

90g -
                     75g -

29g -
                    8g - Plants only
Retired

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 06:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Which filter did you get? Fortunately, I don't need a new one now, but I'm at a loss of what to suggest to my friend.
I got a marineland mangnaflow 160. Its silent and doing a good job. It was even easy to prime. I would recommend it but its not time tested like the older stuff. I still recommend the classic Ehiems. I mean, we know theyre still good. Sucks being out of the loop.
mooner likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 06:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I read somewhere that the Filstars have been discontinued

Looks like you can still get parts tho' - https://www.renaaquaticsupply.com/Fi...Rena_c_21.html
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 07:34 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Rena was acquired by MARS Fishcare to the best of my knowledge, and likely with the sole purpose of ending them to drive up sales of Marineland's offerings. I'd still go Eheim Classic over anything I've personally used.
Complexity and oldpunk78 like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 02:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Ive been wondering the same thing myself. Ive got a xp3 that needs a new o-ring. Ive been away for a few years too. I just got a new filter.
I go to my local dive shop and get O rings . Just take one with you and they should have a match unless it is a very large ring . Worth a shot .
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
I got a marineland mangnaflow 160. Its silent and doing a good job. It was even easy to prime. I would recommend it but its not time tested like the older stuff. I still recommend the classic Ehiems. I mean, we know theyre still good. Sucks being out of the loop.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a 90g and 75g tank which I've been running 2 Rena Filstar XP4s on each of them so I'd want something with that level of filtration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzn7z7 View Post
I read somewhere that the Filstars have been discontinued

Looks like you can still get parts tho' - https://www.renaaquaticsupply.com/Fi...Rena_c_21.html
That's good to know. I already have a few spare parts, but I may stock up on a couple more as long as the motor keeps going.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Rena was acquired by MARS Fishcare to the best of my knowledge, and likely with the sole purpose of ending them to drive up sales of Marineland's offerings. I'd still go Eheim Classic over anything I've personally used.
Thanks, Blue Ridge Reef, for solving the mystery. I had a feeling something like that had happened. It's so wrong. I like some of Marineland's accessories, but I never considered their filters to be in the same league. Eheim has always had a good reputation and I even have one that I bought early on, but I preferred the Filstar XP filters better.

What a shame. The XP filters were one of the best on the market. I guess MARS decided they couldn't make a better filter, so they'd kill their competition. Let's just hope the Eheim Classics stay around.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

90g -
                     75g -

29g -
                    8g - Plants only
Retired
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

FWIW, I recently started using a Fluval 407 on my 40 breeder. Sure, they're not the cheapest filter, but I'm actually quite impressed.

I got it because I wanted something with a little more flow for my co2 reactor, without going crazy. Figured it could be returned for a full refund if it didn't work out. But it did. My co2 dissolution is now considerably more efficient and the tank is getting overall better flow. Best part is that 5/8" hoses are a direct fit so my intake and output loop didn't even need to be modified one bit.

The filter it replaced was a SunSun 303b - in the same ballpark for GPH rating, but the Fluval is 20 or so GPH higher insofar as rating goes. I'd say it's a bit more than that, or the SunSun was just slightly underpowered (could be the latter, honestly). The biggest thing that impressed me is the media capacity. SunSun filters are known for having huge media baskets, so I was worried that the Fluval wouldn't be able to fit all of my old media...but it did with even a little room to spare. Plus the huge sponge internal prefilter assembly, I really like it. My only complaint is that the ribbed tubing can't really be used to plumb in-line equipment or on aftermarket intakes (like lily pipes). So if they're starting from scratch and would like to utilize that type of equipment, having to buy other hoses might be a significant con.

|
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 10:33 PM
snails are your friend

I just bought an Eheim Classic 600 (old 2217 model, I believe) and have yet to set it up, just peeked inside the box. But if there is a single difference between it and the one I had 20 years ago, I can't tell yet. I've been impressed with Fluval's offerings of late too, and basically decided between them with a coin flip. Though I've had an older Fluval XF-5 and a Marineland C-530 "die" in the last 5 years. I could do an unpacking video and show them each if anybody was interested, but I'll be filming it alone with just my phone so don't expect Aquarium Co-Op level quality.
Complexity and varanidguy like this.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 10:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I just bought an Eheim Classic 600 (old 2217 model, I believe) and have yet to set it up, just peeked inside the box. But if there is a single difference between it and the one I had 20 years ago, I can't tell yet. I've been impressed with Fluval's offerings of late too, and basically decided between them with a coin flip. Though I've had an older Fluval XF-5 and a Marineland C-530 "die" in the last 5 years. I could do an unpacking video and show them each if anybody was interested, but I'll be filming it alone with just my phone so don't expect Aquarium Co-Op level quality.
I'd definitely love to see it as I've been contemplating a filter upgrade for a 75 gallon.

|
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've got three Rena XP's.

Each is over 14 years old.

I am going to load up on parts. Pretty much all you need is the O ring kits.

---
---
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 01:05 AM
snails are your friend

And if I knew I couldn't get more; impellers, shafts and magnets. SO many times I've had to buy a whole assembly because a ceramic shaft or a blade from an impeller snapped.
Greggz likes this.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 05:10 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Ehiems.

+1 for Ehiems

Chris
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.renaaquaticsupply.com/AP...ngs_p_116.html

Listed as "limited stock"

Btw from my limited experience this can happen to any company.
Last Eheim gaskets I bought I needed to get from england..

https://eheimsupport.com/eheim-pro-4...ter-parts.html
"orphaned" in the US model..
Quote:
EHEIM 7428770 PRO 4 & PRO 3 2071, 2073, 2074, 2075 CANISTER SEALING RING SET
8 available / 82 sold
Shipping:
$3.00 Standard Shipping from outside US | See details
International shipment of items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges.
Item location:
Melksham, Wiltshire, United Kingdom

Ships to:
Worldwide See exclusions

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"

Last edited by jeffkrol; 10-25-2020 at 05:50 AM. Reason: edit

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode