1Likes
  • 1 Post By jellopuddinpop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
rom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Inline aquarium pumps?

I have a canister filter i really like, apart from the pump. Its 6W, (400L/H) and It doesn't move enough water, i've cleaned everything and it still only trickles out of my outflow. I want new pump but I like filter itself and want to keep it. So I want to buy an inline pump, maybe 12W 800L-1000L/H, but I can't seem to find any that are ok with not being submerged? Anyone got any recommendation? Or am I just missing something? I'm from the UK btw something available here would be cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 06:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
I have a canister filter i really like, apart from the pump. Its 6W, (400L/H) and It doesn't move enough water, i've cleaned everything and it still only trickles out of my outflow. I want new pump but I like filter itself and want to keep it. So I want to buy an inline pump, maybe 12W 800L-1000L/H, but I can't seem to find any that are ok with not being submerged? Anyone got any recommendation? Or am I just missing something? I'm from the UK btw something available here would be cool
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZJ8ZNS7...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I used this for my little sunsun canister filter, the one with the pump mounted on the outside. I removed the impeller from the sunsun pump, put tubing between the outlet of that pump to the inlet of the new pump. Works, a little noisy but it works for what I need it to do. The one I found though was 370GPH but I can't seem to find it on Amazon anymore. Use caution when adding onto your canister filter. There will be more possible leak failures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A lot of the pumps that look like they're submersible can actually be converted to inline. Ignore the actual photo of the pump, and read into the specs. It's a little larger than 1000L/hr, but I would recommend the Hydor L30 (formerly Seltz 1200)

https://www.amazon.com/Hydor-185-Uni...4&sr=8-10&th=1
Econde likes this.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 08:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Here's one that's priced decent. 290GPH adjustable. next step up is at 400GPH.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E9IO9BY...jaz10cnVl&th=1

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 03:05 PM
Algae Grower

Take note of the supported piping size when matching the pump to the canister. It won't help increasing the flow if the limitation of the system is the pipe size. I used to have the Shiruba XB-308 which running at 660L/H, instance after adding a small surface skimmer to the inlet, the flow drop termendiously. Reason being the the small surface skimmer that have a inner diameter of lesser than 10mm slow down the flow. The Shiruba XB-308 is running on hose with inner diameter of 12mm. Do you have this similar scenario as I have?

In other words, if your canister is running on 12mm hose and the high flow external pump is running on 16mm hose, it won't boast up your flow.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
rom
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
A lot of the pumps that look like they're submersible can actually be converted to inline. Ignore the actual photo of the pump, and read into the specs. It's a little larger than 1000L/hr, but I would recommend the Hydor L30 (formerly Seltz 1200)

https://www.amazon.com/Hydor-185-Uni...4&sr=8-10&th=1

I ended up getting something similar to this, thanks for everyone's help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbernie View Post
Take note of the supported piping size when matching the pump to the canister. It won't help increasing the flow if the limitation of the system is the pipe size. I used to have the Shiruba XB-308 which running at 660L/H, instance after adding a small surface skimmer to the inlet, the flow drop termendiously. Reason being the the small surface skimmer that have a inner diameter of lesser than 10mm slow down the flow. The Shiruba XB-308 is running on hose with inner diameter of 12mm. Do you have this similar scenario as I have?

In other words, if your canister is running on 12mm hose and the high flow external pump is running on 16mm hose, it won't boast up your flow.

So i'm having a little trouble setting it up. The flow in my tank has increased alot which is great, so i thought the the piping was probably ok. However, Its extremely noisy. Every few seconds it makes a horrible noise and then spits a load of air bubbles out. I've never set up an inline pump before so maybe i'm doing something wrong? Its not leaking, and no air is coming through the inflow pipe. But its been a while now and the air doesn't seem to be clearing. How long does it usually take for all the air to clear out of the system? My pipes are quite small, and i though maybe it was something to do with the friction? Is there any other way the air can get in?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 04:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

You might need to burp your system. Get all the air out by turning the filter side to side.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
rom
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
You might need to burp your system. Get all the air out by turning the filter side to side.
I have been jigging the canister filter around for the last hour, to no avail. Lots of air comes out every time a jig it around, surely more than what could have been in the system? but it just keeps going. Plus I made sure that the canister filter was completely full before I attached the pump.

Ok so somehow air is getting into my filter. Even though its not leaking. Its definitely not through the inflow. I know air is being drawn because my water level started rising, and when I emptied out all of the airbubbles by jiggling the filter, it want back to normal. Quite perplexed at the moment.

Any ideas whats going on?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-16-2020 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 06:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Ok so somehow air is getting into my filter. Even though its not leaking. Its definitely not through the inflow. I know air is being drawn because my water level started rising, and when I emptied out all of the airbubbles by jiggling the filter, it want back to normal. Quite perplexed at the moment.

Double check the seals in your canister filter, hoses and new in-line pump. Did you use hose clamps for your system? Do you have a surface skimmer attached? Any air stones next to your filter intake?

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 07:27 PM
Algae Grower

It may be due to what someone mentioned earlier in the thread. The canister, hoses, fittings, etc are designed for a certain flow. You have now increased this flow significantly by using a bigger pump. Too much restriction on the discharge side will just reduce the flow and put more load on the pump. But too much restriction on the suction side could create a negative pressure situation where air can find it's way in. The pump is pushing a lot more water out of the system, and it's having trouble keeping enough flowing in.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 02:23 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Double check the seals in your canister filter, hoses and new in-line pump. Did you use hose clamps for your system? Do you have a surface skimmer attached? Any air stones next to your filter intake?
Quote:
I have been jigging the canister filter around for the last hour, to no avail. Lots of air comes out every time a jig it around, surely more than what could have been in the system? but it just keeps going. Plus I made sure that the canister filter was completely full before I attached the pump.

Highest possible leak is from the joint. May be you can check all the joints. You can see bubble seep in near the joint if your pipe/hose are transparent.

If that is not the case, the next thing to check would be the internal of the canister. Canister filter are normal designed with an air removal mechanism. This is normally done with a small tube attached to the impeller compartment. The other end of the tube will be guided to the ceiling of the canister. When the canister is running, air will then be suck out from the can. Check if you have accidentally block that mechanism when you modify your canister.

Tags
inline pump, pumps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode