• 1 Post By Crazyjayb
  • 1 Post By Bettatail
  • 1 Post By Crazyjayb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Need a new R/O system

Messed up and bought a used one a while ago and have decided to buy a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions? One that caught my eye was https://www.chewy.com/aquatic-life-r...xoCZdsQAvD_BwE

It is advertised as a 4 stage aquarium system that is only 60$.. that sounds too good to be true, any advice? Thanks!
Econde likes this.

At least I can grow Algae
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 07:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/98%)
look good to me, compact version though, if you need a lot of RO water, those filters need to be replaced sooner than the normal 10" filter cartridges.

now I am thinking if I need a new RO set--the one you just show in the link. It is about time to order some dog food from chewy too..
Econde likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
look good to me, compact version though, if you need a lot of RO water, those filters need to be replaced sooner than the normal 10" filter cartridges.

now I am thinking if I need a new RO set--the one you just show in the link. It is about time to order some dog food from chewy too..
<a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilie/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" >:-)</a>
Haha good, I did a bit more research on it and it looks really solid, just a bummer I blew 80$ on a used one that didn't work for me. It's on amazon as well, not too sure where to buy replacement cartridges for it though.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 02:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjayb View Post
Haha good, I did a bit more research on it and it looks really solid, just a bummer I blew 80$ on a used one that didn't work for me. It's on amazon as well, not too sure where to buy replacement cartridges for it though.
https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-..._t1_B00204CQF6 . Not too bad pricing either. I think?

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-..._t1_B00204CQF6 . Not too bad pricing either. I think?
No definitely not too bad, I'm not sure how often you are expected to change filters on this compact unit though.
Econde likes this.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 07:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
No definitely not too bad, I'm not sure how often you are expected to change filters on this compact unit though.
I don't have any experience at all with RO systems but here at work, we measure TDS on our whole facility filter. If TDS gets higher, its time to change filters. What the limits of the readings are, I don't know.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 08:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
I'm also curious to see what the efficiency rating is on that filter. I hate wasting 3 gallons just to make 1 gallon of RO water.

BRS had one that was 1.5 to 1 on their 5-6 stages

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
I'm also curious to see what the efficiency rating is on that filter. I hate wasting 3 gallons just to make 1 gallon of RO water.

This is what I think:

When my RO reserve tank is empty, the waste/RO discharge ratio is small, but when the RO reserve tank is near full and the pressure build up inside, more waste water flowing out but not much RO water push into the RO reserve tank. This waste/RO ratio is not static, less waste to RO when the RO outlet has no restriction(pressure building up).

normal system with a RO reserve tank, waste/RO is about 3 to 1, but BRS make that claim because there is no RO reserve tank....

and I guess most RO system on the market use the same RO membrane filter, from GE.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Quote:
I don't have any experience at all with RO systems but here at work, we measure TDS on our whole facility filter. If TDS gets higher, its time to change filters. What the limits of the readings are, I don't know.
The way to make it last the longest is replace the first filters when their time comes or it will lower the life of the membrane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post

I think it's about 1:3 so not amazing but I can live with that when the price of a gallon is so cheap

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode