Co2 schedule - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
W@r10ck's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 17
Co2 schedule

What is your lighting and co2 schedule. I know you have to turn on co2 before lights turn on and off before lights off. I have broken schedule of. Lights on for 3hrs Co2 4hrs in the morning and then lights on 5hrs co2 6hrs in the evening. Will that affect the co2 injected and growth of plants? Is it better to just do it straight like 8hrs in the evening. I want to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 12:41 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Econde's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What is your lighting and co2 schedule. I know you have to turn on co2 before lights turn on and off before lights off. I have broken schedule of. Lights on for 3hrs Co2 4hrs in the morning and then lights on 5hrs co2 6hrs in the evening. Will that affect the co2 injected and growth of plants? Is it better to just do it straight like 8hrs in the evening. I want to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
It shouldn't. I have my lights and co2 on timers.

My schedule looks like this :

CO2 3:30 AM-9:30 AM , 3:30 PM-9:30PM
Lights 5:00 AM-10:00 AM , 4:30 PM -10:00PM

You can do straight 8 hours, you can break it up like mine or you can run it 24/7. Some use PH controllers and hook their Co2 up to that, to reach a setpoint.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
Econde is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mark Fisher's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rockport, Texas
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
It shouldn't. I have my lights and co2 on timers.

My schedule looks like this :

CO2 3:30 AM-9:30 AM , 3:30 PM-9:30PM
Lights 5:00 AM-10:00 AM , 4:30 PM -10:00PM
You're aware that you are subjecting your fish to a 17:7 photoperiod? Why?
Mark Fisher is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 05:10 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
monkeyruler90's Avatar
 
PTrader: (74/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 1,930
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
I like to run my CO2 at the same time my sunrise starts, it has a 90 min ramp cycle so I feel like it works to run them together
The main thing that I try and focus on is paying attention to the drop checker. how quickly does it change colors and what color does it stabilize on? I like mine pretty green/yellow and that means I need to pump up the CO2 without making the fish gasp.

The main thing that is important though is that CO2 is very cheap when you us pressurized and get 20lb containers, I pay about $15 that lasts me about 6-8 months when cranked high. I'd rather be wasteful and have excess CO2 in the water rather than not have enough and see algae take over.

ramp it up and let it run for a while before lights on
Econde likes this.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
monkeyruler90 is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 05:20 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Econde's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
You're aware that you are subjecting your fish to a 17:7 photoperiod? Why?
Sorry can you please elaborate. It's about 11 hours of lighting. Half is ramp up lighting. I have a break in the middle when I'm not home.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
Econde is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mark Fisher's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rockport, Texas
Posts: 472
My point is that fish need sleep, too. A 17:7 photoperiod may be a bit stressful for them. How about something a little more moderate, like 12:12? This is the typical photoperiod.
Econde likes this.
Mark Fisher is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 05:39 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Econde's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
My point is that fish need sleep, too. A 17:7 photoperiod may be a bit stressful for them. How about something a little more moderate, like 12:12? This is the typical photoperiod.
Ah I'm not familiar with the light duration ratios/splits. Like I said there's a break in the middle and at night. Fish, shrimp and snails appear to be fine. I'll do some reading on that subject though, so thanks for pointing that out.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
Econde is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 12:11 AM
Newbie
 
bloomtanks's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Sorry can you please elaborate. It's about 11 hours of lighting. Half is ramp up lighting. I have a break in the middle when I'm not home.
That is not the natural day/night cycle most organisms are built for. While it might suit our personal schedules I think it stresses out the inhabitants in the tank.
Econde likes this.
bloomtanks is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 01:07 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Econde's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomtanks View Post
That is not the natural day/night cycle most organisms are built for. While it might suit our personal schedules I think it stresses out the inhabitants in the tank.
But honestly. What's natural about our hobby?? We put aquatic life into a glass cage. Expect everything to thrive and scratch our heads when things don't go our way. I agree with you both that my light schedule is not 'natural'. But neither is our hobby.
Quagulator likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
Econde is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 01:20 AM
Newbie
 
bloomtanks's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 2
You are right. I love to provide my tank inhabitants the best conditions I believe in. It’s a personal choice I guess. There’s no absolute right or wrong way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Econde likes this.
bloomtanks is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 01:43 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Econde's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomtanks View Post
You are right. I love to provide my tank inhabitants the best conditions I believe in. It’s a personal choice I guess. There’s no absolute right or wrong way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea definitely. I need to research more about light cycles. It never crossed my mind til it was brought up in this thread.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
Econde is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 03:54 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 7
I run my co2 from 5.30pm to 11.30pm and my lights from 6pm to midnight. The tank is in the basement in my office and there are no windows, so during the day its total darkness unless someone walks in to the room which is rare. The light is a fluval 3.0 and Im running just under 2 bubbles per second. Good plant growth, hairgrass filled in almost fully within a month and never really experienced any major algae. I was thinking of increasing the duration to 8 hours after 2=3 weeks and then maybe 9 or 10, but never touched it...if it aint broke don't fix it kind of thing
Econde likes this.
W8INLINE is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
W@r10ck's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 17
Thanks for sharing your schedules. I was asking because I have my co2 indicator at green to yellow green but I don't see any significant growth in my plants. I have rotala rotondifulia and glosso. I think my expectations were very high as i have setup a lowtech tank with just t5 bulbs and ferts but they grew faster than my high tech tank.

Tank: 7G / 27L 30x30x30
Filtration: hob 300HR/L & skimmer 250H/L
Substrate: Aquasolium
Lights: ONF Nano
On: 7am - 9am
On: 6pm - 10pm total of 6hrs/day
CO2: Sodastream 60L / 400g
Regulator: Fzone FZ-0100
On: 5am-8am
On 4pm- 9pm total (2hrs before lights on 1hr before lights off)
1.0 ph drop

Dosing: seachem (iron, potassium,flourish) DIY Tropica

Another issue i had is that my co2 psi was stable for about 2 weeks and 1 day psi just suddenly started dropping. I'm puzzled as there's no leak. Only thing i can think of is the sudden change of weather and it was in a bit of direct heat though there was curtain. Is it possible because of the heat may have caused the drop down? But yeah i have no luck with my first ever Co2 while my low tech tank is thriving.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Econde likes this.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 08:07 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 6
This is similar to what i did, thank you for sharing
sally.myers is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 02:38 PM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks for sharing your schedules. I was asking because I have my co2 indicator at green to yellow green but I don't see any significant growth in my plants. I have rotala rotondifulia and glosso. I think my expectations were very high as i have setup a lowtech tank with just t5 bulbs and ferts but they grew faster than my high tech tank.

Tank: 7G / 27L 30x30x30
Filtration: hob 300HR/L & skimmer 250H/L
Substrate: Aquasolium
Lights: ONF Nano
On: 7am - 9am
On: 6pm - 10pm total of 6hrs/day
CO2: Sodastream 60L / 400g
Regulator: Fzone FZ-0100
On: 5am-8am
On 4pm- 9pm total (2hrs before lights on 1hr before lights off)
1.0 ph drop

Dosing: seachem (iron, potassium,flourish) DIY Tropica

Another issue i had is that my co2 psi was stable for about 2 weeks and 1 day psi just suddenly started dropping. I'm puzzled as there's no leak. Only thing i can think of is the sudden change of weather and it was in a bit of direct heat though there was curtain. Is it possible because of the heat may have caused the drop down? But yeah i have no luck with my first ever Co2 while my low tech tank is thriving.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
7g tank = compact ecossystem = rapidly changes = hard to maintain

Any changes in air circulation above the tank, heat created by light and other factors can, and will, change the entire chemistry of the water. However, its not a 7 headed snake.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
[email protected] likes this.
victorusaconte is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome