Proper flowmeter range to buy? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigtrout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Proper flowmeter range to buy?

I'm looking at a Dwyer or similar flowmeter. They appear to come in ranges cc/min. What would be best range to support 2-5 bubbles per second for a 50G tank? From another planted tank thread on here, it appears the 5-50 cc/min may be good for my size tank but am not finding much info on a bubble to cc/min conversion formula.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 03:16 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Best info I can offer would be in this thread by @Bettatail https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...o2-system.html

I have a Porter B-125-6 flow meter on my 40g tank - runs at number 4 on the scale. I also have the same flow meter on my 75g tank and it runs about 9 on the scale.
Very useful piece of equipment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's a good link but what a jumble! I think the best way is trial and error and calibrating to a drop checker/pH meter. I think I'll take a leap of faith that the 5-50 will work.

I also think that maybe I can put an inline bubble counter after the flow meter, bubble counter with no needle value or if it has one it is wide open (control is through flow meter). That would give both sets of info.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 05:42 AM
Algae Grower

My 75 gallon with 40 breeder sump(100 gallons of water total) uses 35cc per min, so a 5 to 50cc one should.be the right range. Bettatail could probably guide you to a better flowmeter than the dwyer.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 08:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/98%)
If you want the Dywer flowmeter, get the dywer RMA-151-TMV, or RMA-151-SSV(or BV), it is the model with 5-50cc/min AIR flow rate at standard psig.

The RMA-151-TMV is top mounted valve, you can lock the steady pressure (regulator output pressure) in the flow tube, and get the actual flow rate according to specific pressure.
The RMA-150-SSV(or BV), is bottom mounted valve, the pressure inside the flow tube is the same as back pressure from your diffuser/check valve.

I don't have calibration sheet for actual CO2 flow rate at different pressure range though.

or

get the key instrument flow meter, higher precision than the RMA151, evil bay item number: 322765167020
there are not many left...

here is the calibration data for co2 at different pressure settings.

♣ if you don't know what I am talking about, don't mess with dywer or any other flowmeter, just get a bubble counter and you will be settled.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
If you want the Dywer flowmeter, get the dywer RMA-151-TMV, or RMA-151-SSV(or BV), it is the model with 5-50cc/min AIR flow rate at standard psig.

The RMA-151-TMV is top mounted valve, you can lock the steady pressure (regulator output pressure) in the flow tube, and get the actual flow rate according to specific pressure.
The RMA-150-SSV(or BV), is bottom mounted valve, the pressure inside the flow tube is the same as back pressure from your diffuser/check valve.

I don't have calibration sheet for actual CO2 flow rate at different pressure range though.

or

get the key instrument flow meter, higher precision than the RMA151, evil bay item number: 322765167020
there are not many left...

here is the calibration data for co2 at different pressure settings.

♣ if you don't know what I am talking about, don't mess with dywer or any other flowmeter, just get a bubble counter and you will be settled.
Thank you, this is very helpful and I just bought one off evilbay. Your PSIG numbers are for the regulator output pressure right (the second gauge)?

I already have a bubble. The needle valve it sits on has poor consistency so I want replace with this. I am also thinking of putting an inline bubble counter after the flowmeter, leave the bubble counter wide open (if has a needle valve of its own), in that way I should get both flowmeter value and a bubble count. Does that make sense?

Thank you again for posting the chart!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 05:31 PM
Algae Grower

Why both? Flowmeter is a greatly more accurate "bubble counter." Bubble counters are alot more leak prone.

Just dial in co2 with flowmeter and once you know your running number, thats it. On tank changes just dial it back in.

And yes that chart is based off of your second guage...ie your working pressure.

Im running my system like this.

Regulator----clippard solenoid----flowmeter(needle valve built into flowmeter)---check valve----reactor
Bettatail likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrout View Post
Why both? Flowmeter is a greatly more accurate "bubble counter." Bubble counters are alot more leak prone.

Just dial in co2 with flowmeter and once you know your running number, thats it. On tank changes just dial it back in.

And yes that chart is based off of your second guage...ie your working pressure.

Regulator----clippard solenoid----flowmeter(needle valve built into flowmeter)---check valve----reactor
I'm thinking both just for the education of having both metrics available, that way you can get a flow and bubble count. It is a good point about extra parts can make for extra points to leak.

Did you have to buy fittings/adapters for the flowmeter for CO2 tubing?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrout View Post

I used both for awhile just to get "used" to the flowmeter. It's a psychological thing.
Just recently removed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahem View Post
I'm thinking both just for the education of having both metrics available, that way you can get a flow and bubble count. It is a good point about extra parts can make for extra points to leak.

Did you have to buy fittings/adapters for the flowmeter for CO2 tubing?

Depends on what you bought but usually, yes.
Most are 1/8npt I believe so you need whatever hose adapter/fittings you choose..

As to where to put the bc if you so choose..good question.
I left mine before the flowmeter because I already knew it didn't leak there
And ease of hookup.
Can't see it making a difference where it is.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahem View Post
I think I'll take a leap of faith that the 5-50 will work.

I also think that maybe I can put an inline bubble counter after the flow meter, bubble counter with no needle value or if it has one it is wide open (control is through flow meter). That would give both sets of info.
I've been using a Dwyer for many years.

The 5-50 cc/min should work well for you.

No need for bubble counter. At the rate you need it's just a constant stream.

If you went with the Dwyer, the back of the unit has 1/8" npt (national pipe thread) female connections. So you need to buy two 1/8" npt male to hose barb connectors. You'll have to figure out which hose barb size is best for your tubing.

And remember to use teflon tape when screwing them in. npt threads will not appear to be the correct size without the tape.

They will look something like this.................

---
---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode