1Likes
  • 1 Post By Somefishguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Media in filter

Hi,
I have the following internal sump in a freshwater tank.
How do I place the media (foam, floss, and ceramic)? In what way? height? etc.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InternalSump.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	903441  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How about this installation?

How about this one (i hope it is clear)?
What should I put at the entrance level in chamber 1?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InternalSump2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	903529  

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 06:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hi mate I don't use sump so can't offer any advice, but I guess a Google search of how to set up a sump will turn up thousands of articles and youtube videos for you to learn. IMO that's probably why no-one has bothered to reply.

I do hope someone will chime in tho. Welcome to the hobby and the forum!

Last edited by geekindenial; 09-29-2020 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Add some notes

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks mate.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find too much info on Google. Most of it is for external sump (separate tank) and it is different
Maybe I'm using the wrong term (internal sump) for searching?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 07:12 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
IMO the order of the filter media should be that different. I would personally put coarse floss/sponge, then finer floss, then a bunch of biomedia + Purigen.

Purigen is amazing for polishing water. It is THE easiest way to get crystal clear water, and reusable too ('m using my same lot of purigen for 3 years now, recharge with bleach in between filter cleans, and still going strong(.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 03:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
janivr, is the sump original to your tank? It may be more helpful if you post the brand and model of your tank if you know it or a pic if you have one.

PS. these are often called all-in-one aquariums where the sump is built in to the back of the aquarium.

Also, what size is your aquarium?

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The basics of filtering are pretty much the same in all types and from there we are often better is we fine tune that to meet what each tank needs.
Step one in thinking is why we might use each type, mechanical for straining the debris we want to hide out of sight, bio for giving a definite place for the good bacteria to line and then maybe some type os chemical like carbon, purigen, etc. but often not needed.
If we put the bio stuff with tiny pores for the bacteria to live at the start, it tends to just get the holes filled with debris which then kills the bacteria, so we usually want to do the straining first on something which is easy to pull out, flush off and replace. That lets it catch stuff like leaves, plant bits and food. How course to make it depends on what's in your tank floating around. A tank with lots of dying plants may stop up a sponge if the pores are too small but if there is not that much to strain out, a finere sponge may get down to doing smaller filtering right away. So we get to choose, big strainer which doesn't need cleaned as often or finer for catching smaller stuff.
Sometimes two stages of straining works good before passing to the bio. Big pores catch big stuff while finer catches what passes through the first but before it clogs the bio.
Bio in amounts and choices to meet eh fish load and tank situation. A new tank that needs lots of good spaces for bacteria may need more bio media if it has a big fish load than an older tank that has bacteria already built up on all surfaces or with a small fish load. I consider most any slick surface to have some bacteria and often reduce the bio media after things get all loaded with bacteria and if Have a heavy load of debris which needs better mechanical. Finally lots of folks like to have a final "polishing" type that may make the output water a bit clearer. Something like a bonded filter floss can work good for this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Pull the floss and sponge, wash them then replace them. This looks like a very simple, efficient easy to maintain design. I like it!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 11:05 AM
Algae Grower

Probably should not use any hard media in there as all that is inefficient. Best to just fill the whole thing up with simply plastic pot scrubbies that have 10 times the surface area. Read here and all the links.

http://aquariumscience.org/index.php/7-filter-media/
mourip likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 01:10 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somefishguy View Post
Probably should not use any hard media in there as all that is inefficient. Best to just fill the whole thing up with simply plastic pot scrubbies that have 10 times the surface area. Read here and all the links.

http://aquariumscience.org/index.php/7-filter-media/
That was a very interesting and thought provoking article. I especially liked the part about "mixing media" in a cannister filter. I resemble that remark :-)

Ironically I pulled out most of the filter sponge media in my Oase Biomaster 250 and replaced it with several different types of hard biomedia. I have noticed a progressive slowing of output from my 3 month old setup. I am now starting to think about moving back to the sponges. One nice thing about the Oase is the easily removable sponge prefilter cartridge. I can clean it once a week and keep most of the detritus from clogging the downstream media ...or sponges.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 01:16 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
That was a very interesting and thought provoking article. I especially liked the part about "mixing media" in a cannister filter. I resemble that remark :-)

Ironically I pulled out most of the filter sponge media in my Oase Biomaster 250 and replaced it with several different types of hard biomedia. I have noticed a progressive slowing of output from my 3 month old setup. I am now starting to think about moving back to the sponges. One nice thing about the Oase is the easily removable sponge prefilter cartridge. I can clean it once a week and keep most of the detritus from clogging the downstream media ...or sponges.
Well I have a Sunsun 303B in my 75 gallon. Bottom tray 10/20 ppi Poret foam. Next two tray all pot scrubbies. After 7 months and no cleaning I still have full flow, crystal clear water just like the articles says. Gotta love not cleaning filters.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode