Chihiros doctor mate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Chihiros doctor mate

Hello to everyone. I need your help please. I have installed chihiros doctor mate sterilizer in my planted tank, it seems it works well, does not affect fish in a bad way but today in the morning I touched the water surface and felt like tiny electrical impulses which causes pain in the sensitive area around my nails. I switched the sterilizer off and the electricity in the water has gone. Switched on again and could feel this electricity again. Is it expected? Can it hurt the fish? I removed it from my tank until clear up on this situation. In the tank I have guppies fry and they seem not to be affected by this, but still who knows, maybe it is painful even for them. Could you please advsise?

Chihiros Doctor Mate - NEW doctor - Shanghai Ogino Biotechnology Co.,Ltd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 02:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Stray current canít be good. I am using a Twinstar device that is similar and have my hand in the tank many times with it running without any such issues.

Plastic, yuck!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 01:19 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I believe this is one of those devices that electrolyze water, though I feel that its claims are questionable and outlandish at best, and completely false at worst.

That being said, stray current is never a good sign, so in the interest of safety, it would be best to remove it.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I got a multimeter and I found out that this device generates 3V stray current in my aquarium. If I did not cut my nails too short I would not realize there is a stray voltage leakage in my tank.
I sent a message to Chihiros support but they did not reply yet. I have also messaged the shop where I got the device and they told me they have never had this issue. Now I don't know what to do, perhaps I can try to change the membrane. I liked the device it makes the water super clean.

Also I asked about the issue in Aquasabi and they said its normal:

Quote:
Yes, this is quite normal. Of course there is electricty in the water, when the sterilizer ist active. If you have a wound or sensitive area on your skin, you may feel it. But this will not harm fish or plants, because the amperage is very, very low (mV).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipan View Post
Stray current canít be good. I am using a Twinstar device that is similar and have my hand in the tank many times with it running without any such issues.
Would you be able by any chance to check with a multimeter if there is no stray voltage leakage please? As you might be not aware of any stray current in your tank as far as you don't have any wound on your skin.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 06:00 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima777 View Post
Would you be able by any chance to check with a multimeter if there is no stray voltage leakage please? As you might be not aware of any stray current in your tank as far as you don't have any wound on your skin.
Sure, but how did you measure it exactly. I will try to replicate it for you. I use it mostly in an attempt to ensure oxygenation (injecting CO2), but just keeping the surface of the water clear with surface skimming probably works as well or better.

For what itís worth, the measured redox potential changes with the cycling of the unit and it might have some of the claimed redox benefits. Iím not sure I buy it for doing anything in the long term re: algae prevention, but even if it possibly might improve oxygen levels, in okay with using it. Itís pretty cheap considering the money, time, and effort put into the aquarium otherwise.

Plastic, yuck!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The mystery with the stray current in my tank is solved. I found out that I was able to measure the current only when the device is switched on and is attached to the side of the tank. Probably the water (micro drops) somehow was getting in through the hanger, so the device was in the contact with the water. When I left it on but did not attach to the glass I could not measure any current. Such a relief ..

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipan View Post
Sure, but how did you measure it exactly.
Try to use a multimeter if you have any how its explained in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnof_qYhCDs
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 04:26 AM
Planted Member

Measured 6.4V AC without the Twinstar plugged in (but with canister running) and 6.6V AC with the Twinstar actively running. DC voltage was negligible both times 0.0020ish. Glad you figured it out. The Twinstar is velcroed to the side of my tank but it doesnít get wet. Not much anyway.

Plastic, yuck!

Tags
chihiros, doctor, mate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode