8Likes
  • 5 Post By stlhokie
  • 2 Post By malcourt
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
How To Tell If Stand Has Enough Support?

So I'm unsure which subforum this would be most appropriate in so I just put it in equipment since what you sit your tank on is just as much equipment as anything else I suppose! I ended up getting that 10g tank to add to my growing collection and I've set it on a kind of two way window sill in the kitchen alongside my 5g shrimp tank that I've had there for a while. I tend to overthink things and always think about the worst possible scenario and now that its there I'm worried that maybe 150 pounds of water is too much for that space to handle. This might be a completely unfounded concern but I was wondering if there was any known way that I can tell how much weight a structure like that could support without doing some kind of damage to it. Attached is a picture of the setup so you can see what I mean, apologies for the mess!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 01:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKeepShrimp View Post
So I'm unsure which subforum this would be most appropriate in so I just put it in equipment since what you sit your tank on is just as much equipment as anything else I suppose! I ended up getting that 10g tank to add to my growing collection and I've set it on a kind of two way window sill in the kitchen alongside my 5g shrimp tank that I've had there for a while. I tend to overthink things and always think about the worst possible scenario and now that its there I'm worried that maybe 150 pounds of water is too much for that space to handle. This might be a completely unfounded concern but I was wondering if there was any known way that I can tell how much weight a structure like that could support without doing some kind of damage to it. Attached is a picture of the setup so you can see what I mean, apologies for the mess!
Knock on the wall below it...can u hear the wood column? If you knock and looks like theres nothing inside, can be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sounds like regular old empty drywall to me. But maybe I'm just slow. So theres a little crack right where the wood its sitting on meets the wall and I can see straight through it... which isn't helping my fears haha
Attached Images

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 02:30 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKeepShrimp View Post
Sounds like regular old empty drywall to me. But maybe I'm just slow. So theres a little crack right where the wood its sitting on meets the wall and I can see straight through it... which isn't helping my fears haha
Knock all over the wall, the wood pilar will be in a specific area, thats where u want to stand your aquarium over.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 03:40 AM
Algae Grower

That wall isn't just an empty space of drywall. If that was the case, any weight at all would be enough to collapse it. There are absolutely studs and a cap beam in the wall, likely directly under the stone counter to support it. No house is built to have a counter support less than 200+ lbs otherwise it would collapse just by having some people sit on it. That "crack" you're seeing is just poor craftsmanship on the joint filler/drywall.

Your tank will be fine.

You also just said yourself that the counter is sitting on wood (the cap beam). Typical spacing of wood studs is 16" center to center. So that beam definitely has elements supporting it behind the drywall.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 07:35 AM

Go get a cheap stud finder and check where your support is but I wouldn't worry about it. Those two little tanks are not even going to come close to being able to collapse the support for that counter. You can also just knock on the wall and you should be able to tell how many studs there are. Generally 16 inches on Center.
Leeatl and IKeepShrimp like this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlhokie View Post
That wall isn't just an empty space of drywall. If that was the case, any weight at all would be enough to collapse it. There are absolutely studs and a cap beam in the wall, likely directly under the stone counter to support it. No house is built to have a counter support less than 200+ lbs otherwise it would collapse just by having some people sit on it. That "crack" you're seeing is just poor craftsmanship on the joint filler/drywall.

Your tank will be fine.

You also just said yourself that the counter is sitting on wood (the cap beam). Typical spacing of wood studs is 16" center to center. So that beam definitely has elements supporting it behind the drywall.
I'm inclined to agree that if it is a builder built counter then it should easily support an "average american" or two, which is pretty heavy. If it's a DIY counter, be very very careful.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you think of an easy way to nail together a short wall like that and how to make it difficult, which would a builder choose? The easy way if it fits the local code!
That leaves it easy to see building the wall as a simple rectangle with a stud or two where it meets the main wall and then more studs every 16 inches along the short wall. Framing guys can almost look at a stud and tell you where 16,32, and 48 are going to be so they are not going to cheap out and try to make it some different number between studs. US tape measures come with those point having special marks so we can find them--- just in case it was built by a "new guy"!
That leaves the left side of the tank setting directly on one or possibly doubled studs and another just 16 inch out, so the tank is nearly on top of two 2X4 capped with a 2X and then the countertop.
The corner crack? Things just move enough to crack the sheet rock mud at the corner. Looking at the picture, that is even less worry as it is simply a trim board with a sliver out of the side and only serves as an easy way to hide the rough cut edge of the drywall which is then attached to the horizontal wood underneath.
NO hazard at all.
IKeepShrimp likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode