Hate my Eheim 350...new canister suggestions? - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Hate my Eheim 350...new canister suggestions?

Stupid thing keeps losing prime and stops flowing despite not being dirty. On top of that...it's nearly impossible to re-prime to get it going again. I'm just done with it. Might be user error but I don't want a filter that is this difficult to keep going. I want simple.

So...suggestions for a replacement? 32 gallon heavily planted tank with light fish stocking. Looking at the Fluval 307 Performance Canister Filter but open to other suggestions. I just want to keep the price as low as I can but still get a quality piece of equipment that's not impossibly to use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 08:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have the Fluval 207 which is nice EXCEPT the hoses and rim connectors which I hate. I have had nothing but issues in trying to swap them out. I gave up and bought the Oase Biomaster 250 which I am loving. My tank is super clean, very easy to set up, love the prefilter cleaning feature and piece of cake to prime.

It is big! You can also get the thermo version with an integrated heater which seems cool.

If you are handier than I am, the Fluval is good, the quick release valves are nice. I just could not get another hose to stay put on it. But I am not the best at plumbing.
evil8 and techmba like this.

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan

Last edited by fish+plants; 09-16-2020 at 08:54 PM. Reason: another thought
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Yeah...sounds like a headache I might not want to deal with. I was looking at the Oase line of filters. They look nice. Little more than I want to spend but if it will work well and make life a little easier...might be worth it. I'll look into them a bit more. I will say that the hose system on the Fluval is definitely clunky looking and not at all pleasing to the eye.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just got two Aqueon Quietflow 200 canisters for my 50G. They do 200GPH each. They have 300GPH and 400GPH models.

The thing I liked most is that it comes out of the box with three options for the return. You can use a redirector, spray bar, or this cool HOB "water polisher unit" that takes a slide in cartridge and all three are provided with it, nothing else to buy (except some extra filters if you use the HOB polisher). You can also use the HOB water polishing unit to prime it. It's been very quiet. Priming was easy once I figured it out. I have one unit setup with the HOB polisher and the other with a spray bar. I get lots of agitation. There are quick releases on the hoses on the filter side. I'm very satisfied so far.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 08:09 PM
Planted Member

The Aqueon seems like a neat way to polish the water after filtering through the canister. I think the Oase is different in that you can remove a tube which contains the prefilter sponges without having to disconnect and clean anything else. I have done this once since I set it up a month ago and it was super easy and totally clean!

Can you send a pix of the hose connected and the rim connectors? Those have been my big issues and they never show them in the ads. Can you use other floss in the HOB unit instead of the carbon? What is the size of the HOB unit?

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan

Last edited by fish+plants; 09-17-2020 at 08:31 PM. Reason: ? +
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish+plants View Post
The Aqueon seems like a neat way to polish the water after filtering through the canister. I think the Oase is different in that you can remove a tube which contains the prefilter sponges without having to disconnect and clean anything else. I have done this once since I set it up a month ago and it was super easy and totally clean!

Can you send a pix of the hose connected and the rim connectors? Those have been my big issues and they never show them in the ads. Can you use other floss in the HOB unit instead of the carbon? What is the size of the HOB unit?
I don't know what you mean by rim connectors, you mean the hose connectors? I just took pics of everything, hopefully they will help you out. The only thing I don't like is the intake is long. I have a 20" high so it isn't a problem. It extends too, so if you have deeper its good for that. I was hoping to have one intake low and one high in the water column (like a skimmer), but that would require some customizing.

One other note, the 400GPH model comes with a Y for the outflow and 2 HOB units. So with that one you can run both HOBs or any mix of the three outflow choices they provide. I went with (2) 200GPH models to have some fault tolerance and be able to keep one running while I maintain the other. It also allows a lot of variety for bio media.

Here are the hose connects to the filter. I have not used a canister before so was absolutely astounded at the room inside to put media!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7379.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	903057

Name:	IMG_7380.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	903059

Don't know why this image shows up sideways. Here is the connection on the one HOB I am running.

Name:	IMG_7382.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	903061

Inside of my running HOB

Name:	IMG_7383.jpg
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	903063

These are the other outflow options you get

Name:	IMG_7384.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	903065

Bottom of the HOB/hookups

Name:	IMG_7385.jpg
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	903067

Inside of the HOB. You could easily DIY the inserts. It helps that it has that little blue cage to mount them in.

Name:	IMG_7387.jpg
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	903069

The filter chamber is pretty good size if you wanted to do something with it. It's slim HOB but there is enough space. For sizing, the insert refills are their large size (same inserts used on their HOB filters)

Name:	IMG_7390.jpg
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	903071

Name:	IMG_7391.jpg
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	903073

Hope it helps.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Stupid thing keeps losing prime and stops flowing despite not being dirty. On top of that...it's nearly impossible to re-prime to get it going again. I'm just done with it. Might be user error but I don't want a filter that is this difficult to keep going. I want simple.

So...suggestions for a replacement? 32 gallon heavily planted tank with light fish stocking. Looking at the Fluval 307 Performance Canister Filter but open to other suggestions. I just want to keep the price as low as I can but still get a quality piece of equipment that's not impossibly to use.
This might not be what you want but it is true that if it IS user error as you've mentioned, it is quite likely to follow you to a new filter as well. Losing prime is kind of a basic thing that often can be as simple as needing to find the air leak!
I know of no canister that is not prone to losing prime if there is an air leak, so are you sure that is the way to go?
I would certainly want to know what itis that is failing, so that if it is in a part which I've connected to the filter, I'm not looking at the same part giving me fits when connected to a new filter. Jus tburning cash when we do that.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 05:06 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish+plants View Post
I have the Fluval 207 which is nice EXCEPT the hoses and rim connectors which I hate. I have had nothing but issues in trying to swap them out. I gave up and bought the Oase Biomaster 250 which I am loving. My tank is super clean, very easy to set up, love the prefilter cleaning feature and piece of cake to prime.

It is big! You can also get the thermo version with an integrated heater which seems cool.

If you are handier than I am, the Fluval is good, the quick release valves are nice. I just could not get another hose to stay put on it. But I am not the best at plumbing.
Do you have problems with the biomaster gurgling and releasing bubbles? I checked all connections and confirmed no source of air input into the canister but still get a lot of air trapped even after tilting and shaking the unit multiple times. Oase customer service person said that it is because of the fine sponges in the prefilter area in a CO2 supplemented tank! I really want to like this filter and not return it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 12:55 PM
Planted Member

I have not had any issues with the gurgling and bubbles. I am not using C02 however. I did find that moving it closer or further away from the tank seems to make a difference depending on the length of your hose. I also keep the input near the bottom and the output about 2" under water. No idea if that makes any difference!! Hope it works for you as the idea of the quick and easy clean prefilter is awesome!

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 02:01 AM
Algae Grower

I suggest a Oase Biomaster or Biomaster thermo! I have the Biomaster thermo 350 on a 20 gal and I love it. Good flow and tons of room for media. It has a pre filter that doubles as a priming pump. The integrated heater is also a nice touch. It is easy to clean and the inflow/outflow are self sealing so that they don't siphon when they are removed. It does burp every once in a while but most canister filters do.

-AM

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 01:41 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by atm424 View Post
I suggest a Oase Biomaster or Biomaster thermo! I have the Biomaster thermo 350 on a 20 gal and I love it. Good flow and tons of room for media. It has a pre filter that doubles as a priming pump. The integrated heater is also a nice touch. It is easy to clean and the inflow/outflow are self sealing so that they don't siphon when they are removed. It does burp every once in a while but most canister filters do.

-AM

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Would the 350 be sufficient filtering and circulation for a 46 gallon tank (36" long ) or would the 600 be better?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 01:48 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasbora Beret View Post
Would the 350 be sufficient filtering and circulation for a 46 gallon tank (36" long ) or would the 600 be better?
IMO bigger is better . The ratings that they put on the box are usually underwhelming and there are ways to decrease flow if necessary. With this in mind, I would personally go for the 600. Oase are also coming out with a bigger filter I believe (the 850).

-AM
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 02:46 PM
Algae Grower

The flow rates listed on the biomaster are the pump ratings, rather than the actual flowrate. Because there is a lot of head loss in the filter due to the sponges, filter media, etc, the flow rate is significantly lower. I'd suggest the flow rate is about 100 gph below what is listed. I bought a 600 to use on a 90p, but I've currently got it set up on a 20 gallon and still have the flow rate at about 80% of the max capacity. I would think that the 350 would not be adequate for a 90p.

Also, I have a factory sealed biomaster 600 (not thermo, but you ca buy and add the thermometer to the filter separately if desired) sitting around that'd I'd be willing to sell you below retail price if you decide to go that route. (it was sent to me in error a while back)

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notg2009 View Post
Do you have problems with the biomaster gurgling and releasing bubbles? I checked all connections and confirmed no source of air input into the canister but still get a lot of air trapped even after tilting and shaking the unit multiple times. Oase customer service person said that it is because of the fine sponges in the prefilter area in a CO2 supplemented tank! I really want to like this filter and not return it.

I had this problem. I found it was an issue with the sealing rings. I bought some silicone lubricating spray and sprayed down all the sealing rings before putting them back into the filter and it solved all the air sucking issues that I had. It now runs silently.
Notg2009 likes this.

Last edited by stlhokie; 09-21-2020 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Additional Info
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 03:04 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notg2009 View Post

I have the Biomaster Thermo 350 and inline CO2 (purchased in July). The CO2 is on the outline after the canister and I have not had any issues at all with it. I've been thinking of getting a 250 and putting it on my 29 gallon.

EDIT: I do use petroleum jelly on all canister filter gaskets every time I do maintenance including the Oase.

3 planted nano community fish tanks.

Last edited by evil8; 09-21-2020 at 03:07 PM. Reason: More info
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

LOVE my two Oase filters.
The pre-filter is the freakin bomb. And the integrated heaters which have their own power cord.
I have yet to clean the actual filter. I just clean the prefilter every week or two. Been running almost a year now.
Flow could be a little stronger but i just added a powerhead inside the tank.
https://amzn.to/3cjujwk

evil8 likes this.

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode