What is the width of the bottom rim on a rimmed aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is the width of the bottom rim on a rimmed aquarium?

Sorry for anyone reading this, but itís going to be a dumb questionÖ

I am remodeling my house, and will be putting a 125G fishtank in my wall. Can anyone tell me what the dimensions of the bottom rim of the tank are going to be? The tank is currently set up, so I canít exactly see what the bottom of the tank looks like, and the construction needs to be complete before I can empty the tank to move it. What Iím looking for specifically is the width of the plastic rim that comes in contact with the stand.

My problem is trying to figure out how Iím going to trim the opening in the wall. I would love the tank itself to be flush with the wall, and the trim to be slightly raised up with a very clean, modern moulding. Iím concerned, because this would mean that the very front face of the bottom rim of the tank would be resting on the edge of the sheetrock. If that bottom rim is 1Ē thick from front to back, then Iím OK with it. If that front rim of the tank is only .500Ē thick from front to back (and all of the weight would be on the sheetrock), then I need to come up with a different plan.

I know exactly what Iím thinking in my head, but it was very hard to word it. Iím hoping everyone was able to understand the visual Iím trying to get at, but Iím sorry if this doesnít make any sense.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 06:01 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
My two 125's are old Marinelands and are exactly 18.5" from front to back. Different manufacturers can use different frames though, hence needing to match the brand to fit premade tops. You'd be much safer measuring the aquarium that you have than going off of my measurements, but it will be pretty close.

And for what it's worth, mine are built into a wall. I ran a plywood support board to lie on top of the Sheetrock edge to get it flush. I badly wish I'd have put a hinged opening above the tanks to give myself front access to them. Doing all maintenance from behind the aquarium has its challenges.
Econde likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 06:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think that if the plastic frames are original to the tank they should be identical in all measurements.

I think what the OP is asking is what is the width of the plastic trim underneath the tank where it contacts the existing stand.

I just measured an older 125G tank I have empty and the top and bottom trim width is approx. 1 inch wide, however don't forget that the glass doesn't fully occupy the plastic trim gap space. The glass is closer to the exterior portions of the plastic trim and will be about the width of the glass panels. So if the tank glass is 1/2" thick, that means you will need support under that 1/2" dimension rather than under the 1 inch width of the plastic trim.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry

Last edited by deeda; 09-15-2020 at 07:11 PM. Reason: add info

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
I think that if the plastic frames are original to the tank they should be identical in all measurements.

I think what the OP is asking is what is the width of the plastic trim underneath the tank where it contacts the existing stand.
Exactly. Here is a sketch of what I'm talking about. This would be the cross section of the bottom corner of the tank.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
And for what it's worth, mine are built into a wall. I ran a plywood support board to lie on top of the Sheetrock edge to get it flush. I badly wish I'd have put a hinged opening above the tanks to give myself front access to them. Doing all maintenance from behind the aquarium has its challenges.
I really thought about that, but this is going to be right in the center of the entryway to the house. I really needed to keep clean lines as much as possible to go with the rest of the home design.

The way I look at it, is most of us can't get to the back of the tank for maintenance, so what's the difference? If anything it's a little easier because all of your plumbing, wiring, CO2, etc is right in the open vs being hidden behind the tank where you can't get to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	902999  

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 08:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
On my AGA 125 the part that sits on the stand is 1" wide. The plastic piece is 1 1/4" but only 1" contacts the stand. It looks just like the top flipped over. It even has the center braces and the notches for the glass top to recess in. From what can tell the frame on my looks just like the one in your journal. I have the same stand. Can't you see the bottom when setup? There is no top on my stand. I measured this with the aquarium set up.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 08:51 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
The measurement I took was from outer edge to outer edge of the plastic rim. I would not gamble that every manufacturer's 125 gallon plastic frames are identical though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
The way I look at it, is most of us can't get to the back of the tank for maintenance, so what's the difference? If anything it's a little easier because all of your plumbing, wiring, CO2, etc is right in the open vs being hidden behind the tank where you can't get to it.
That's the way I looked at it too. But I can tell you from 13 years of owning these that they are far more difficult to maintain, catch fish out of, you name it than a tank you can walk right up to. You will also likely put a background on it of some sort to hide the wires, filter and so forth. Without removing the background, it's hard to get a dead fish out of my own! Just throwing it out there, your mileage may vary.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Without removing the background, it's hard to get a dead fish out of my own! Just throwing it out there, your mileage may vary.
I hadn't thought about catching fish, that's going to be interesting... I wish I had thought about it before framing in the wall with a giant hole in it, but I'm past sheetrock, paint, and flooring, so there's no going back now. I suppose I'll have to figure something out!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode