1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bryan_

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Injecting CO2 directly into pump

Hello:

Out of curiosity would there be any issues with directly injecting CO2 into the impeller area of a return pump. I thought if one doesn't mind the Sprite water look; why dispense the CO2 directly into the pump inlet, and let the impeller chop up the CO2 and return to the tank.

-=Bryan=-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 11:58 AM
Algae Grower

I have done this in the past, injected into the intake of my canister filter, and had no trouble.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 04:25 PM
Algae Grower

I've been warned not to do this with a canister filter, not sure about with a return pump.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
It is said to be pretty rough on a pump. If you are ok with the extra wear and tear, or its a temporary situation I say go for it. That being said, a DIY reactor is pretty easy to make.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 07:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
look into needle wheel impellers for your pump. They'll push less water through the system but they'll actually work harder to break up the CO2 bubbles.

You could also run another parallel loop with a needle wheel pump just for CO2 depending on the size of your system.

I've never ran my CO2 straight into my canister long term but I have found that in inline diffuser on the outlet does a much better job.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmcd View Post
I've been warned not to do this with a canister filter, not sure about with a return pump.
I suspect the reason being is the buildup of gases may cause a air lock scenario in the canister. In my case I am using a regular return pump. Nano tank with a overflow.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
It is said to be pretty rough on a pump. If you are ok with the extra wear and tear, or its a temporary situation I say go for it. That being said, a DIY reactor is pretty easy to make.
Long term a reactor would be the way to go, current setup is a nano tank so for aesthetics reason I can't. When I upgrade to a larger tank I will have a lot more options.

-=Bryan=-
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 10:43 PM
Algae Grower

I don't know about if it has an impact on pump wear, however I've used it before and I think it is a common practice. The only thing i did not like was the noise. It was not loud, but it was a bit annoying. Right now I'm using the pump venturi for CO2 mixing and it is silent, so it could be another option if you think the impeller chopping the CO2 bubbles makes too much noise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, stuck the co2 tubing into the inlet of the Tunze return pump and so far the results have been very positive. I see a very slight influx of bubbles every couple seconds from the return pump, no noise and my ph has dropped at least 0.3 points vs the diffuser. so I had to dial back the regulator. Appears to be more efficient, so far working well. No more dicking around with the diffuser, would have to bleach it every 3 or 4 days or it would start to clog up.
Ordinary Joe likes this.

-=Bryan=-
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 10:29 AM

I've heard from fellow hobbyists that putting a CO2 inlet into the canister inlet will cause issues in the impeller in the long run. I was advised against it by experienced hobbyist.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode