Beamworks timer/dimmer help - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Beamworks timer/dimmer help

Anyone out there have a Beamworks DA FSPEC on the newest timer/dimmer (white and blue button)? I can set time, i can set timer, but i cannot get the dimmer function to work. No instructions and what I found online is to hold the respective button for 3 seconds to get all 888's. All mine do is either turn on the light, or go into timer mode? Any idea what I am doing wrong? I tried a little shorter button hold and that is just lights on. 3 seconds turns lights on. more is timer mode?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
This add on timer module will allow you to program the on and off times for Mode 1 and Mode 2. Timer module can also power on and off manually.
Only works with pre-wired Beamswork, Green Element, and Odyssea fixtures.
NOT compatible with Beamswork ET series fixtures.
This listing is for 1 timer module. Certain fixtures may require two timer modules.
Press and hold both buttons to set the clock.
Press and hold the left button to set Mode 1.
Press and hold the right button to set Mode 2.
The first setting is to program the ON time. The second setting is to program the OFF time.

Not seeing a "dim" function
Need this one:

https://www.amazon.com/BeamsWork-Tim.../dp/B084X4JKDM
thadius65 likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 07:00 PM
Algae Grower

jk is correct. there is no dimmer on the timer you are using. if you want a dimmer, get the one he linked to. works fine, but the ramp up/down does not work if you have more than 2 settings (see review by hl). i've experienced it myself. it will ramp up to the first setting you enter, but going from that to the next level will not ramp up. eg 10am @ 50% (ramps up). 12pm @75 does not ramp up. 2pm @ 50% does not ramp down. 5pm @ 0% ramps down.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This timer/dimmer has 8 events and works with the Beamswork DA FSPEC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will need this adapter:

You can see it, in action, here:

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 11:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Beamswork has a dual channel ramp timer , but I can only find it on the bay right now . I use a Nicrew that is a ramp timer and dimmer , but only single channel . I am happy with it cause I never use the blue after lights out...lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 04:34 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post

the beamswork rise/dim/timer provides an automatic (either 15 or 30min) ramp up/down events. don't need to program each individual time/power level unless you want multiple (up to 6) ramp up/down periods (for example having a midday burst). however, the automatic mode only applies to the initial ramp up and the last ramp down; otherwise, it's like the linked model, where the power levels change immediately, as i was trying to explain in my post. it includes an adaptor, but it's not needed with the da fspec. automatic up/down is noticeable but fairly smooth.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

FWIW I'm using the Beamswork DA FSPEC with their inline rise-dim timer. Other than not being able to control the blue channel separately it works fine. I have it on my 40B and will eventually replace the lights on my 75g with them.

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl4tzLjKby0
Thanks

I have the Beamswork rise-dim timer on my 40B. When I upgrade my 75g I may go with this. For a few bucks more I get 2 more steps and a gradual ramping.
Leeatl likes this.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-09-2020 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 11:47 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:

I might try this out. Thanks
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thanks for the help. I found the proper one and returned previous and ordered new. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 11:18 AM
Planted Member

Quote:

I am using this timer on my Twinstar light and it works great.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 08:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

[QUOTE=butchblack;11369143]FWIW I'm using the Beamswork DA FSPEC with their inline rise-dim timer. Other than not being able to control the blue channel separately it works fine. I have it on my 40B and will eventually replace the lights on my 75g with them.

butchblack I just got a Beamswork dim rise timer and I can't get it to ramp correctly . I know I am not stupid , I just don't seem to understand the instructions . Would you be so kind as to explain to me how to program it to come on in the am and go off in the pm ramping each time ? Thanks ,
Ken

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

[quote=Leeatl;11370449]
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
FWIW I'm using the Beamswork DA FSPEC with their inline rise-dim timer. Other than not being able to control the blue channel separately it works fine. I have it on my 40B and will eventually replace the lights on my 75g with them.

butchblack I just got a Beamswork dim rise timer and I can't get it to ramp correctly . I know I am not stupid , I just don't seem to understand the instructions . Would you be so kind as to explain to me how to program it to come on in the am and go off in the pm ramping each time ? Thanks ,
Ken
When you say ramp correctly, what are you trying to do? If you're setting multiple times, it will only ramp up when turning on and ramp down when shutting off. All the other changes in between do not ramp, the intensity just changes. The way the instructions are written suggests that the intensity should gradually change with all of the changes.

If you're still having trouble setting the time slots, let me know.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 01:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

[quote=butchblack;11370473]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post

When you say ramp correctly, what are you trying to do? If you're setting multiple times, it will only ramp up when turning on and ramp down when shutting off. All the other changes in between do not ramp, the intensity just changes. The way the instructions are written suggests that the intensity should gradually change with all of the changes.

If you're still having trouble setting the time slots, let me know.
Thanks for getting back to me . I know it won't ramp on every setting . I just want it to ramp up at 10:45 am and then ramp down and off at 7:00 pm . I set it for S1 10:45 L-90 and S2 19:00 L-0 . I didn't see what it did last night , but this morning it just popped on at 10:45 . I cleared and reset it today and tonight it did ramp down and off at 19:00 . The instructions are not very detailed and I wasn't sure if I could just use the first 2 slots or if I needed to turn on with S1 and turn off with S6 and leave the in between ones blank . Beamswork makes some good stuff , but their instrucs are lacking , to me anyway .

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

[quote=Leeatl;11370499]
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post

Thanks for getting back to me . I know it won't ramp on every setting . I just want it to ramp up at 10:45 am and then ramp down and off at 7:00 pm . I set it for S1 10:45 L-90 and S2 19:00 L-0 . I didn't see what it did last night , but this morning it just popped on at 10:45 . I cleared and reset it today and tonight it did ramp down and off at 19:00 . The instructions are not very detailed and I wasn't sure if I could just use the first 2 slots or if I needed to turn on with S1 and turn off with S6 and leave the in between ones blank . Beamswork makes some good stuff , but their instrucs are lacking , to me anyway .
It sounds like you're in P1 mode, which is no ramping. You want to be in P2 (15 min ramping) or P3 (30 min ramping). You want to press the settings button for 3 seconds, the time will flash, press the settings button again it will tell you what mode you are currently in press the hour or minute button to get to P2 or P3, press the setting button to confirm S1 should appear briefly then go to --:-- set your time on and press settings, set your intensity and press settings. That should bring you to S2. Repeat the process with your off time. Remember that you have to do each step quickly, I believe they give you 5 seconds of inactivity. Confirm that you are in P2 or P3 by pressing the settings button for 3 seconds.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 01:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yea I am in P2 for 15 min ramp and I did it the way you say , so maybe it will be ok tomorrow morning . I just thought I was missing something in the instucs , but looks like I had it figured out . Thanks for all the help . Is that you on the FB group Aquarium Group Support ? I just saw a post and wondered . Again thanks for the help .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode