oase filtosmart issues? or Tidal? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
oase filtosmart issues? or Tidal?

Hi, I was getting ready to buy an extra filter for my 17 gallon tank; debated between the Tidal and an Oase FiltoSmart. I read the reviews on the Oase however and they said that it was a pain to maintain. "You have to remove the entire unit along with all of the tubing because there is just no easy way of disconnecting the tubes. And even if you do disconnect them, there are no shut off valves, so water will come pouring out like a siphon. The tubing is stiff and too short, which makes affixing the inflow and outflow pipes within the tank more difficult than it should be. The filtration stages are in the wrong order--instead of flowing through the bio media last, water flows through it first and then through the mechanical media-"

Has anyone had these issues? For anyone who is using it, would adding a quick release valve help?

I am not sure I have room behind my tank for the Tidal; anyone using the 35 or 75 who can measure for me?

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 11:34 AM
Algae Grower

I would suggest the Tidal 55 for that tank. I use a Tidal 75 (75g tank) and a Tidal 55 on my 10 gallon tank. Flow turned way down. I have modified the pull out baskets by drilling more holes in the bottom to allow more mater flow. Only use Poret foam in them. Bottom half 10ppi, top half 20ppi. Quick rinse every 4-6 months or so since they don't clog quickly. So easy to clean with the pull out baskets. Oh, Tidal 55 needs only 4 inches.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 05:04 AM
Algae Grower

I have the Tidal 35 on my 16 gallon Waterbox and it was not enough flow for my planted tank. Great for fish that like no flow though. Not great so great for a planted tank. It is a great HOB filter and super quiet and self priming. The footprint is not that bad and you can use any media you want. I would suggest the larger Tidal. The flow adjuster is great if you do decide to get the larger version. I changed my Tidal 35 out for Eheim 2215. Just set it up today.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaguzman View Post
I have the Tidal 35 on my 16 gallon Waterbox and it was not enough flow for my planted tank. Great for fish that like no flow though. Not great so great for a planted tank. It is a great HOB filter and super quiet and self priming. The footprint is not that bad and you can use any media you want. I would suggest the larger Tidal. The flow adjuster is great if you do decide to get the larger version. I changed my Tidal 35 out for Eheim 2215. Just set it up today.
Why did you choose the Eheim? I already have a Delta UNS 60 canister on the tank along with an Fluval HOB (I like all the filter I can get). So I wanted a better HOB in addition to my canister. I tried adding a Fluval 207 but just cannot get the tubing to work in my close quarters. So I need a HOB or another Delta to sit on my desk.

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I had 3 Tidals - 2 on my 30 gallons and 1 on a 10 gallon. They constantly clogged around skimmer and lost flow. Snails got caught in the inner casing and pinged around to drive me crazy.
I am meticulous abut maintenance of filters because I keep rare, expensive fish-- so it wasnt an issue from lack of husbandry.
These filters all went into the garbage.
If I were to get an HOB now I would get Aquaclears.
fish+plants likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 11:42 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I had 3 Tidals - 2 on my 30 gallons and 1 on a 10 gallon. They constantly clogged around skimmer and lost flow. Snails got caught in the inner casing and pinged around to drive me crazy.
I am meticulous abut maintenance of filters because I keep rare, expensive fish-- so it wasnt an issue from lack of husbandry.
These filters all went into the garbage.
If I were to get an HOB now I would get Aquaclears.
Easily fixed with what everyone does is just place a small mesh screen around the skimmer. Just cut in to size and slide it between the left and fight slots to block everything but the water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tidal55scr1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	902811
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 01:14 PM
Planted Member

I currently use the Oase Filtosmart 100 on my 16g. The tubing is indeed stiff, but not anymore than the Marineland I have upstairs. I also does not have shut off valves which is a pain in the ass. I have to drain the tank and then lift the pipes out of the tank and place them in a bucket to drain them. Then take the whole works apart to clean it. There are no media trays either. A prefilter sponge on my inlet pipe does help cut down on cleaning a bit.

The benefits are it being super quiet and the internal heater.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somefishguy View Post
Easily fixed with what everyone does is just place a small mesh screen around the skimmer. Just cut in to size and slide it between the left and fight slots to block everything but the water.

Attachment 902811
How about the clogging?

Amy
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 11:16 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
How about the clogging?
Never had any of the Tidals clog ever. Includes a 75 and 55. Not sure what there is to clog...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 01:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somefishguy View Post
Never had any of the Tidals clog ever. Includes a 75 and 55. Not sure what there is to clog...
Wish I would have had the same glowing experience.

The difference may be that I raise big fish: angels, discus, geophagus. These filters may not be able to handle these situations.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode