HOB suggestion - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
HOB suggestion

Hi there fellow fishfolks!
I have a 38 cm cubical tank with Anubias and ferns and river gravels as substrate. There are ember tetras, some lambchop rasboras, two male Endler hybrids and an otocinclus. Currently running a Xinyou xy 2810 sponge filter and a small Jeneca XP 03B HOB filter.
I want to invest in a single quality HOB filter which would be best for the long run. Eheim Liberty 75 or the Aquaclear 20 are the ones that I can afford right now. Which one should I go for? I have heard that the AC20 has an issue of not self-priming i.e. doesn't work after power cuts. What are your experiences? Couldn't gather any info about this regarding the Eheim Liberty 75 from the internet.
Please help me get the right filter keeping the
a)build quality,
b)availability of spare parts and
c)the life of the motor/impeller(the most important thing)
in mind.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by suman5492; 09-04-2020 at 05:48 PM. Reason: tags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 06:04 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Moved your post to the Equipment section. It's a bit more appropriate and will get you more views/responses.

If it were me, though, I'd go with Aquaclear. If you search this forum, you'll find hundreds/thousands of them. Many of them in service for decades. I've had some of mine going pretty much non-stop since they first hit the market.

Have never had them fail to restart after a power failure - not even when I've screwed up and had a lower water level than I should. Spare parts are cheap and plentiful across the web - even outside the US.

I've only broken one in 20 years and that's because I accidentally sat on one this winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Aquaclears are very reliable and easy to maintain. I have also never had one fail to restart after a power failure, and I have experienced numerous. I highly recommend them.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 11:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Aqua Clears or Fluval C series .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 04:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

After a lot of looking around and reading we settled on a Seachem Tidal 110 HOB for my daughters 55g Axolotl tank about 3 weeks ago. We are VERY impressed with it! Love the surface skimming. Love the self priming! Really like how easy it is to remove the media box, snap it into the filters lid and carry it into the laundry room to clean.

I had decided on an Aquaclear 110 based on their reputation before I discovered the Tidal filters. The Seachem Tidal series has only been for a few years so it doesn't have near the backing that the AquaClears do. We are glad we took the chance and went with the Seachem tidal filter.
Quesenek likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 06:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

+1 for the Seachem Tidal series.

Aquaclears are fine filters, they will do what you need in an aquarium just fine.

The tidal's do everything the AC's do, but they also have a surface skimmer, a mid-water inlet and a substrate level inlet.
I don't know if it was user error, or just how AC's are, but I had to clean the gunk of bacteria buildup out of my AC filter motor every month or so because it was slowed down from it. I have a Tidal 110 running on a 29 gallon (not the tank I originally bought the filter for) and I haven't had to even touch the internals of the filter for the 9 months I've had it running, just pull the basket out and clean the sponges.

It's worth noting that the reason I went with the tidal over the AC 110 is because I bought the AC 110 after having an AC 30 work so well on my 10 gallon for over a year. I installed the AC 110 on my 55 gallon and even after using silicone lubricant and cleaning the motor multiple times, I could hear the grinding from the motor over my headphones 6ft away from it. Because of that issue, I exchanged the AC 110 for a tidal 110.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 11:46 AM
Algae Grower

Yeah, Seachem Tidals is the new sheriff town. Self Priming so it always starts after maintenance or a power failure, flow control from 100-20%, draws water from 3 locations (top, middle, bottom), removable media basket locks in place so it will not push up causing an overflow and flooding your floor and a self cleaning impeller.

Last edited by Somefishguy; 09-06-2020 at 11:26 AM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 10:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Aquaclear is as good as it gets. I can't recommend them enough. Only warning is they aren't as quiet as people say they are lol. At least not the 110, and especially once the water level drops. Even still, love mine.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 11:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

The Tidals look good , but I wanna see the impeller clean itself...lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 11:27 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Big fan of aqua clear here too. I will say that I've had them fail to prime after an outage though, today in fact! But they aren't prone to by any means, especially if you don't keep lower water levels.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 11:28 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
The Tidals look good , but I wanna see the impeller clean itself...lol

Self cleaning impeller. From Seachem Support: The self cleaning feature of the Tidal Filters can be explained by the structure and build of the impeller housing. There is a groove in the Tidal 55 that goes through the slot where the impeller stays and it will continuously clean the impeller of any debris or buildup. For Tidal 75 and 110, where the impeller goes that continuously flushes a little bit of water through the back to keep it cool and quite clean. The 75 and 110 have the same mechanism.

However, my Tidal 55 failed to start after being turned off for cleaning just 3 days ago. It has been running almost 4 years and now it stopped. So, a simple cleaning and it was off and running again.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 03:22 AM
Algae Grower

I have Aquaclears on tanks with HOB filters. The Tidal series looks very good, but I didn't see a good reason to pay more when I was satisfied with Aquaclear.
I've had Marineland Penguins, Tetras, etc, but all of them are focused on getting you addicted to buying their filter refills. You really want to keep the sponge if not damaged, and just replace charcoal (or put a purigen packet in its place).

Matthew
38G: AquaClear70: Planted, 1 Angel, 6 Tetras, 1 Platy, 1 Bristlenose Pleco.
5G Fluval Spec V: Built-in filter, Heavily planted, RCS and Tangerine Tiger Shrimp
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 06:18 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Well the eheim liberty 75 is god awful ugly lol. But I do like the fact that their return “slides” the water in over the surface even when evaporation has occurred. This is the biggest pet peeve I have with with HOBs. The aqua clear is amazing and I echo the longevity claims you have been hearing. It slides the water in as long as the water level doesn’t fall to low. If the water level dose fall low it just drops the returning water straight down like most other HOBs. My aqua clear auto starts probably 50% of the time but this isn’t a big deal as all you need to do is add a little tank water to the AQ and it’ll start right up.

If it was my money I would buy the AquaClear. If I was feeling bougie I would buy the Tidal lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 10:30 AM
Algae Grower

+1 for Tidals as well. I have had issues with the Aquaclear ones, they always broke on me and I tried quite a few of them. I now have the Tidals and couldn't be happier. I know people love their Aquaclears, but, I just never had any luck with them....I know that isn't a popular thought though...

Bump: edit: I also, never had them restart after power outages.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 09:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't understand the not restarting issue . I use Fluval C series , which is close to the AquaClears , and they restart every time except on water change day when I have drained the water below the intake joint so that they lose the prime . Then I need to refill them and then they start right up . My tanks never get so low as to cause this problem on a daily basis . If you are keeping the water level that low you need a different type of filter anyway , I think .

Tags
aquaclear, aquaclear 20, eheim, hob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode