HOB suggestion - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 02:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
I don't understand the not restarting issue . I use Fluval C series , which is close to the AquaClears , and they restart every time except on water change day when I have drained the water below the intake joint so that they lose the prime . Then I need to refill them and then they start right up . My tanks never get so low as to cause this problem on a daily basis . If you are keeping the water level that low you need a different type of filter anyway , I think .

Mine only didnít restart during water changes as well. I think people keep saying that because with other HOB filters the pump is in the aquariums itself meaning it auto starts regardless of the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
I don't understand the not restarting issue . I use Fluval C series , which is close to the AquaClears , and they restart every time except on water change day when I have drained the water below the intake joint so that they lose the prime . Then I need to refill them and then they start right up . My tanks never get so low as to cause this problem on a daily basis . If you are keeping the water level that low you need a different type of filter anyway , I think .
Same, on my AC 30 as long as the housing had a good amount of water in it, it would always prime correctly. I didn't even realize this was an issue before reading this thread, to be honest.
Leeatl likes this.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 02:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I get that they won't restart when water in them is low , but if you have an average water level and the power goes off and back on it should restart . Having to fill them after a water change to restart is no big deal to me .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 04:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a AC 20 on a 10g and a 70 on a 29g they both work very well but I do have re-prime them after my 50% weekly water changes. About 2 years ago I purchase a Tidal 75 for the 29g and was using it for a couple of months and then the impeller stopped working I called Seachem and they replace the impeller but in the meantime, I put the AC 70 back on
and been using it ever since. Now the Tidal is my backup.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 05:53 PM
Algae Grower

I've only got about 15 years in the hobby. So far I've had pretty good experiences with Aquaclear, only one negative experience to report. I bought an AC70 brand new about 12 or 13 years ago for my parent's fish tank. I replaced it with a Fluval C3 recently because sometimes, it wouldn't power back on after turning it off (meaning the motor wouldn't start up or anything). This would happen regardless of whether the water level was high enough, or whether the filter reservoir was full of water or not. Now, the impeller in the AC70 motor had a broken fin that caused it to rattle a little, and I think that probably contributed to the no start issue. I could have just bought a new impeller for the motor, but I got a great deal on the C3 (brand new in shrinkwrap - it came in a package that I bought second-hand).

I've also had an AC20, AC50, and other AC70s that all ran fine with no issues at all. Currently I have two AC110s on a 45g, both running great. My only complaint is that they are not as quiet as the smaller filters (small amount of motor/impeller noise). I'm tempted to try out a Seachem Tidal 110.. maybe that will happen sooner rather than later.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone. I will get an Aquaclear 20 soon.

Tags
aquaclear, aquaclear 20, eheim, hob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode