• 1 Post By mourip
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
New CO2 System Troubleshooting

Hi,

I bought a PRO-SE Series CO2 kit from CO2Art and after one month at ~1 bubble per second my 5 pound tank is dry!

Can someone suggest some specific troubleshooting tips?

I ran CO2 for 5 years on another tank so I am familiar with tanks and connections. I am still getting fine mist into my tank but I am riding on zero PSI on the first gauge currently. I will need to go for a refill tomorrow.

Thanks,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
Hi,

I bought a PRO-SE Series CO2 kit from CO2Art and after one month at ~1 bubble per second my 5 pound tank is dry!

Can someone suggest some specific troubleshooting tips?

I ran CO2 for 5 years on another tank so I am familiar with tanks and connections. I am still getting fine mist into my tank but I am riding on zero PSI on the first gauge currently. I will need to go for a refill tomorrow.

Thanks,
Paul
Check for leaks..

Start w/ the CGA to reg first.

My 40b at rates like that last for months..

I just went through that w/ my last tank. Lasted a month or so .. had 4 TINY leaks..
2 from the ends of my hose going a little soft after 4 years. Buy expensive hose and it doesn't get brittle.. LOL

2 just because I went too gentle on npt brass to aluminum flowmeter.

some leaks didn't exactly "bubble" but did foam slightly. Used a flashlight to examine it.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks so much for the quick reply. As my old system had no issues I am basically ignorant on the exact way to test for the leak bubbles.

Should I mix up a bit of dish soap in a spray bottle and squirt on each junction starting with the bottle to first stage?
deeda likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
Thanks so much for the quick reply. As my old system had no issues I am basically ignorant on the exact way to test for the leak bubbles.

Should I mix up a bit of dish soap in a spray bottle and squirt on each junction starting with the bottle to first stage?

That's what I do..
mourip likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I gave that a try and nothing seemed obvious. After I get the tank refilled tomorrow I will test again.

I used to get probably 4-5 months from a 5lb tank in my 75g.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 11:22 AM
Algae Grower

When you get your tank filled ask for a new washer for the cga320 to tank connection if your cga320 does not have a permaseal. Most places will give you one. I change the washer every tank change.

When you look for leaks, spray the joints on the regulator as well. The factory may not have tightened the connections or leak tested.

Try checking for leaks with a new tank at your normal psi. A leak at that shows at 40psi may not be leaking at 10psi.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrout View Post
When you get your tank filled ask for a new washer for the cga320 to tank connection if your cga320 does not have a permaseal. Most places will give you one. I change the washer every tank change.

When you look for leaks, spray the joints on the regulator as well. The factory may not have tightened the connections or leak tested.

Try checking for leaks with a new tank at your normal psi. A leak at that shows at 40psi may not be leaking at 10psi.
I tried the soap test before I got the tank refilled today and also afterwards. I really saw nothing obvious.

I am running at the suggested 30psi for my inline diffusor. I could lower it a bit. Unfortunately I read your post after I got home. I do have a spare washer. I wonder about the washers then sent with the kit. They are flat plastic doughnuts, not like the kind I used to use which had had a wavy ringed surface. Perhaps I should look online for some better washers?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I had my tank refilled last week and also bought a better wrench. I made sure that the washer was well squashed. As a test, overnight I turned off the flowmeter and the tank valve. I noted the pressure at 800psi. In the morning it still read the same. I guess that the washer just needed a bit more tightening.

Next time when I change the tank I will do this same test to make sure all is well.

Thanks for the replies!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yea!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode