Custom Tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sarlindescent
  • 1 Post By mourip
  • 1 Post By mourip
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 192
Custom Tank?

Can anyone recommend a good vendor for making a custom low iron glass tank?

Preferably they would be in the eastern half of the US to cut down on shipping expense to my home.

Thanks!
mourip is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 11:46 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
minorhero's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
Can anyone recommend a good vendor for making a custom low iron glass tank?

Preferably they would be in the eastern half of the US to cut down on shipping expense to my home.

Thanks!
The cheapest vendor I have found is https://glasscages.com/

They have folks that are happy with their tanks and some older posts of people not happy with their tanks /shrug

It will still cost you a few hundred to have a larger sized tank freight shipped to you though. I was looking at them for a 120 gallon rimless because they are one of the only companies that will use 3/4" glass.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
minorhero is online now  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 192
Thanks! I have been checking them out. Prices are decent... not counting freight shipping$.

I was also looking at their cabinets but they have an odd design with a front panel that seems to come off rather than having hinged doors. As I am also considering a sump I need easy access.

Still...not too many other options out there.

Best,
Paul
mourip is online now  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 04:08 PM
Planted Member
 
Sarlindescent's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DC
Posts: 206
So this is going to be a very budget/aesthetic based decision. Some brands like reef savy are very expensive, but their tanks are a work of art. Glass cages is near the lower end of the spectrum, but significantly cheaper. I have custom aquariums tank and it is nice for the price, but not the cheapest, but not too expensive. Planet and Exotic aquariums also do very nice tanks.

Lower quality craftmanship to high IMO
Glass Cages (Around Aqueon Quality)
Custom Aquariums (Much better than Aqueon)
Planet Aquariums (Around Mr Aqua)
Exotic Aquriums (Around ADA Quality, beefier imo)
Elos (Around ADA, more "elegant")
Reef Savy

Bump: One other thing I forgot to mention. Some custom builders only use black silicone. Depending on what you are looking for, this may be a non-starter. If you want something that looks like an ADA, but custom dimension, I would go Elos.
Bettatail likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sarlindescent is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlindescent View Post
So this is going to be a very budget/aesthetic based decision. Some brands like reef savy are very expensive, but their tanks are a work of art. Glass cages is near the lower end of the spectrum, but significantly cheaper. I have custom aquariums tank and it is nice for the price, but not the cheapest, but not too expensive. Planet and Exotic aquariums also do very nice tanks.

Lower quality craftmanship to high IMO
Glass Cages (Around Aqueon Quality)
Custom Aquariums (Much better than Aqueon)
Planet Aquariums (Around Mr Aqua)
Exotic Aquriums (Around ADA Quality, beefier imo)
Elos (Around ADA, more "elegant")
Reef Savy

Bump: One other thing I forgot to mention. Some custom builders only use black silicone. Depending on what you are looking for, this may be a non-starter. If you want something that looks like an ADA, but custom dimension, I would go Elos.
Thanks. This is excellent. We should probably have a sticky for this.
mourip is online now  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 04:56 PM
Planted Member
 
Sarlindescent's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DC
Posts: 206
You're welcome. To add, there are many more custom builders. These are just the ones I have seen in person. If you want more information, I would look more at reef forums. It seems far more common to have custom tanks for reefs than planted tanks, since it is more common to have massive tanks. Most planted tanks seem to be sub-50 gallons, so there are a lot of prefabs readily available in the range and people don't see a need to pay the premium for customs. Additionally, reefs are a 5-10 year goal vs a 6 months-2 year then tear down and try again.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sarlindescent is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlindescent View Post
You're welcome. To add, there are many more custom builders. These are just the ones I have seen in person. If you want more information, I would look more at reef forums. It seems far more common to have custom tanks for reefs than planted tanks, since it is more common to have massive tanks. Most planted tanks seem to be sub-50 gallons, so there are a lot of prefabs readily available in the range and people don't see a need to pay the premium for customs. Additionally, reefs are a 5-10 year goal vs a 6 months-2 year then tear down and try again.
My last tank was a used 75 gallon saltwater tank. I added a sump and ran it for 5 years. I am not an aquascaper but do want to create a beautiful environment. My present tank is 25 gallons but it just feels cramped. I really like seeing fish schooling in a larger tank. I think that they get along better in a larger space. I also like low iron rimless tanks for the aesthetics and am not keen on black backgrounds. It seems like most reef tanks tend to have black backgrounds. These requirements have led me to consider a custom tank. I am considering 60 to 100 gallons. 4 foot if possible. I have been watching Craigs List in DC where I live but my wish list does limit my choices. I might just buy a secondhand 75 gallon stand and then have a tank made.

PS. Please post a photo of your big plexi tank if you still have it!
mourip is online now  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 09:00 PM
Planted Member
 
Sarlindescent's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DC
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
My last tank was a used 75 gallon saltwater tank. I added a sump and ran it for 5 years. I am not an aquascaper but do want to create a beautiful environment. My present tank is 25 gallons but it just feels cramped. I really like seeing fish schooling in a larger tank. I think that they get along better in a larger space. I also like low iron rimless tanks for the aesthetics and am not keen on black backgrounds. It seems like most reef tanks tend to have black backgrounds. These requirements have led me to consider a custom tank. I am considering 60 to 100 gallons. 4 foot if possible. I have been watching Craigs List in DC where I live but my wish list does limit my choices. I might just buy a secondhand 75 gallon stand and then have a tank made.

PS. Please post a photo of your big plexi tank if you still have it!

Cool, I'm in NoVa. There is a local club, GWAPA that I am a member over, that has monthly meeting (currently virtual with lockdowns....), plant auctions, discount hardscape, and other benefits. I have a landen 80 gallon, that I am working on putting together. They are a nice size and decent price. Build quality is nice, but not quite ADA. Tank is 4'x20"x20". The original purchaser got it from Hans Aquatics. This might fit the bill of what your looking for and save you a few bucks.



https://www.hanaquatics.com/landen-1...iron-aquarium/


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sarlindescent is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 192
Thanks! My current tank is a Landen 25g and the quality is very good. The 80g sounds perfect.

Edit: Bummer. Like many things these days they are out of stock...
mourip is online now  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 09:23 PM
Planted Member
 
Sarlindescent's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DC
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
Thanks! My current tank is a Landen 25g and the quality is very good. The 80g sounds perfect.

Edit: Bummer. Like many things these days they are out of stock...

Didn't look at stocking. AFA is sold out of ADA 120Ps as well. They are 1125 for theirs shipped.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sarlindescent is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 12,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
Can anyone recommend a good vendor for making a custom low iron glass tank?

Preferably they would be in the eastern half of the US to cut down on shipping expense to my home.

Thanks!

The above vendors are fine but personally I'd call local glass shops to see if any sort of moonlight on building tanks.
Mostly to cut down on shipping/insurance expenses.


People/businesses can be quite flexible at times..


Of course you need to ask the right questions so as to not get a yahoo who wants to make an extra buck at any cost.


Researching how to build one and using an on line glass calculator to get an idea of thickness would be necessary so as to be able to spot an inferior supplier.


building a tank isn't really rocket science but it is a physics issue.

I've been tempted to do this in my area when I happened on a glas shop that had this German glass product that was water clear and even better than starfire glass at least from the sample..
My guess (never asked) would be some Schott product.
https://www.us.schott.com/d/tubing/f...glasses_us.pdf
Unfortunately my other business deals with them didn't lead me to even ask further.
Not horrible but lets just say we didn't mesh..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"

Last edited by jeffkrol; 08-14-2020 at 04:01 AM. Reason: edit
jeffkrol is online now  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
The cheapest vendor I have found is https://glasscages.com/

They have folks that are happy with their tanks and some older posts of people not happy with their tanks /shrug

It will still cost you a few hundred to have a larger sized tank freight shipped to you though. I was looking at them for a 120 gallon rimless because they are one of the only companies that will use 3/4" glass.
I got a quote from them but they were way too expensive for the low icon rimless tanks. Also they only ship to a local freight depot so you then have to go pick up the tank and/or stand. My guess is that they mostly serve commercial or exhibit level accounts or else someone with a very big custom home project and a lot of spare cash. It was not a practical solution for me.

I ordered a 48" x 20" x 20" low iron rimless tank from Waterbox and an Archaea stand from Aqua Forest Aquarium.
Econde likes this.
mourip is online now  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 11:42 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
minorhero's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
I got a quote from them but they were way too expensive for the low icon rimless tanks. Also they only ship to a local freight depot so you then have to go pick up the tank and/or stand. My guess is that they mostly serve commercial or exhibit level accounts or else someone with a very big custom home project and a lot of spare cash. It was not a practical solution for me.

I ordered a 48" x 20" x 20" low iron rimless tank from Waterbox and an Archaea stand from Aqua Forest Aquarium.
Glad you found your tank! I didn't know waterbox did custom orders that's pretty cool! Do you mind sharing what they charged you and glass thickness? I put my whole 120 gallon tank idea on the backshelf in part due to cost.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
minorhero is online now  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 192
Actually this is their stock 4820 size tank meant for planted aquariums. It is the common 120P size: 120cm x 50cm x 50cm .

It is their "Clear" series" with low iron 12mm glass, which seems to be the standard thickness for this size.

The tank is on order and cost $740 shipped to my home.

I chose to not buy their stand as it is 35" tall putting the rim of the 20" tank at 55". Just too high for easy work. The Archaea stand is 30" and should be much better for my height. If 55" works for you the WB stands do look good and seem well made. I believe that they are assembled Ikea style. The Archaea stand is hand made and pre-assembled.
minorhero likes this.

Last edited by mourip; 09-09-2020 at 12:18 PM. Reason: wording
mourip is online now  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome