Aqueon frameless / rimless aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Aqueon frameless / rimless aquarium

Has anyone used Aqueon frameless or rimless aquariums? The MSRP for their 30 gallon rimless is $129, which seems like a great price, but I was curious about the quality.

Will also need to track down someone selling it that ships, Petco has them on their website but won't ship, and they aren't stocked locally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 06:42 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just purchased two of their 14 gallon rimless cubes. They were $35 each on sale. I have only had them set up for a few days now, so cant speak to how they are going to hold up yet. The 30 gallon tank is listed online locally here for $65 on sale, but no one has any.

They are not a low-iron glass tank.
My 2 did not leak, yet. As for the build quality... the edges are polished and beveled well. The silicone is not messy or over done, but... They did not take their time squaring everything up very well after applying the silicone. Where the glass edges meet up are not done very well. It isn't horrid, but they could have done this so much better.

The silicone seems to be holding up so far, we will see how it lasts.
I'll try to grab a pic or 2 tomorrow after work.

Picture is three different corners showing poor fitting/alignment. Still no leaks so far. For the $35 each I paid for the 14 gallon cubes I can not complain. Would I pay $100 plus for tanks in this line, nope.

The daughter says "I want a fish tank Daddy", and my OCD lead me to this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-16-2020 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothermist View Post
I just purchased two of their 14 gallon rimless cubes. They were $35 each on sale. I have only had them set up for a few days now, so cant speak to how they are going to hold up yet. The 30 gallon tank is listed online locally here for $65 on sale, but no one has any.

They are not a low-iron glass tank.
My 2 did not leak, yet. As for the build quality... the edges are polished and beveled well. The silicone is not messy or over done, but... They did not take their time squaring everything up very well after applying the silicone. Where the glass edges meet up are not done very well. It isn't horrid, but they could have done this so much better.

The silicone seems to be holding up so far, we will see how it lasts.
I'll try to grab a pic or 2 tomorrow after work.

Picture is three different corners showing poor fitting/alignment. Still no leaks so far. For the $35 each I paid for the 14 gallon cubes I can not complain. Would I pay $100 plus for tanks in this line, nope.

Thank you, that is so helpful!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 01:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've had the 6 Gallon setup for a few months, and I've had no issues with quality. As stated above, the glass doesn't exactly line up the best, but its still a solid tank for the sale price at Petco.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 03:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've set up a 10 gallons Penn Plax rimless aquarium and it works well. Glass is good quality and thicker than I thought it would be, clarity is good, seams are nice, top edges are smoothed over and clean. It also comes with a closed cell foam mat to place the tank on which is a nice addition.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode