• 1 Post By deeda
  • 1 Post By deeda
  • 1 Post By deeda

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb Choosing 55 Gallon Hood

I am in a bit of a debate with myself over choosing a hood, I have always ran rimless open top tanks but I am trying to setup a low maintenance 55 gallon. I am purchasing the bare tank without a hood or lights. The tank is being framed into a wall so there is no need for a traditional hood, which lead me in the direction of a simple flat transparent split lid. I am not sure what I am going to use for lighting yet, it may be as simple as LED floodlights sitting on top of the lid but I want to make sure I have a good quality transparent cover lid. I would like to stay away from fiberglass and use glass as it remains more transparent for lighting quality.

Aqueon makes a decent versa glass top but I am not sure how they work with HOB filters which I am not sure if I will use yet, or go with a canister. Another thought was having two 24" lids so that I don't have to swing the entire 48"

Any recommendations?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

Last edited by Teebo; 08-07-2020 at 04:22 PM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 04:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
What brand is the tank? Choosing the glass canopy brand depends on who makes your tank as the dimensions vary between Aqueon/All Glass and Marineland/Perfecto. On either brand, the glass doesn't fit the entire width of the tank and uses plastic clip on pieces to allow cutting out for equipment.

Most 55G tanks have a center brace unless it's an older model or the brace has been removed so most glass canopies for that size tank have 2 separate canopies.
Teebo likes this.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Aqueon tank - I noticed their lid dimensions are 44" not 48" like the tank though. Good to know of the clip on plastic I thought that was what I was seeing in photos of the Versa top lid. Do you see any problems using two 24" x 12" lids side by side rather than the 48" x 12" lid?

I am hoping I am not making a mistake purchasing an Aqueon 55 gallon for $70 at a big-box the price seems too good to be true.

-
-
-

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 06:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

I prefer the 24" x 12" lids side by side for ease of cleaning and removal BUT they can only be used on a tank with a center brace.

I think but not sure the 48" x 12" lid is for use on the older model without the center brace.

Double check at the store as I'm sure they sell the glass canopies separately and the dimensions as well as what size tank they fit is clearly marked on the box. Take a tape measure with you if you feel the need to double check, I always do.

Also check out the tank well before purchasing to see if it meets your standards. I used to buy new tanks at the DPG sales for my local club and some tanks look better than others.
Teebo likes this.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Good to know! I do believe the Aqueon 55 has a center brace.

I planned on looking the tank over well, I feel they are a hit or miss situation. They said they have 5 of them in store so at least I have a few to choose from.

Any suggestions on lighting? I am not growing any high maintenance carpeting plants mostly just vals, and dwarf sag or stargrass....probably a lace plant and a few crypts. I do not plan on investing in a Kessel, but I am trying to decide if a 48" bar light is worth the money or if I can save with just using LED floodlights....the light dispersion with flood lights is a bit wide though and may cause some light pollution or glare on the glass. If I did the cheap floodlights I would try removing the glass from the light housings so it does not have to shine through 2 layers of glass.

-
-
-
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 08:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Sorry I can't help on lighting. I don't really do plants well, mostly Anubias sp 'nana' and others that limp along.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
Sorry I can't help on lighting. I don't really do plants well, mostly Anubias sp 'nana' and others that limp along.
You realize this website is plantedtank right?

-
-
-
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 03:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
You realize this website is plantedtank right?
I know, I know. I enjoy living vicariously through many of the beautiful tank set ups and reading about setting them up, the trials and tribulations and then seeing how they flourish (or not) over time.
Teebo likes this.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode