2Likes
  • 1 Post By gus6464
  • 1 Post By gus6464

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval 207 air burps-give up!?

Hi, after tons of research I finally bought my first canister filter, Fluval 207. It did not fit well under my tank cabinet as the hoses would not go out and around to the back of the tank which was frustrating. My cabinet is small (the UNS for a 17 gallon Lifegard) so I had trouble getting in and out to access the canister. Soooo, I put it right next to the tank. Set up was ok, hoses frustrating and others recommend switching out, which I am now researching. BUT, now I get constant air burping!! I tried all the troubleshooting tips, shaking the canister around, tipping it sideways. I did have trouble with the stupid rim connectors, the intake ended up quite close to the top of the substrate plus I have a foam filter guard on it to prevent shrimp and babies from getting sucked up. It is difficult to release the hose rim clips to access the foam sponge to remove and clean, also very frustrating. Could this be the problem? Almost ready to go back to my HOB.

I am obviously a newbie with canisters, so any help is much appreciated!

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 02:35 PM
Algae Grower

The issue sometimes is magnetism

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorusaconte View Post
The issue sometimes is magnetism

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Huh? Now you are really going to confuse me!!

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Air burps is normal. Takes a couple of days and it goes away.
fish+plants likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 12:46 PM
Algae Grower

You can also trim an inch or two off of the hard plastic intake tubing to make the foam sponge easier to remove and clean.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Can't trim the intake tubing more as I found out the cause, the rubber connection from hose to intake tube, has to be 2" below water line. Frustrating as the whole rim/hose assembly is very cumbersome to remove to maintain. Anyone else have the filter and have a better solution? I could replace hose, but would love a better/easier rim connection.

Bump: Has anyone used anything like this on Amazon:

RUNNG 2pack Fish Aquarium Filtration Water Pipe Filter Hose Transparent Acrylic Holder for Mount Tube Tank Accessories

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
If you have lily pipes and ditch the hose then your problem is solved.
fish+plants likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 01:43 AM
Algae Grower

Hi @fish+plants,

I have the same Fluval 207 filter on my 10 gallon (45l) planted tank and, to be honest, I'm a bit confused by your problems. You mentioned about fitting under your cabinet and I guess size is what it is, not much you can do about that. Except maybe adding right angle or 45' rigid plastic bends to the hoses might perhaps help if the problem is needing to make a sharp turn.

Seems most people wish that they just used normal hose rather than their ribbed stuff for ease of changing to lily pipes etc, but actually I've had no issues with it at all. All connections sealed perfectly first time, no leaks, and the ribs do allow it to bend more than standard pipe (except that it is quite springy and wants to bend back).

Not sure what exactly you mean by air burbs.... you mean that it spits out a cloud of bubbles now and then from the outlet? Or an actual burping sound, and if so, where from? My filter will give out a few plumes of bubbles from the outlet after every time the filter is opened as it clears the air pockets from inside. I normally just tilt the canister side to side, front to back and few times and slowly move the siphon plunger up and down a few times, and that clears it.

My tank is quite shallow (about 25cm from substrate top rim) so the supplied outlet pipe was a bit long. But it's a straight piece of plastic tube, so couldn't have been simpler to shorten to fit. There are 4 suction cups to position each inlet and outlet, two inside the tank and two out. I don't use the two outside as I used a piece of black card for the backdrop so obviously the sucker won't stick, but not had any problem with them staying put. Actually one of the inside suckers came off the outlet pipe last time I did a water change and is currently sat on the bottom awaiting retrieval, but still the outlet holds in place fine, even with only 1 of 4 suckers.

I don't think that the supplied pipe and tank fittings are the prettiest, but they are 100% functional and work well in my experience (I do have a set of glass lily pipes and clear hose to change to, but not yet had chance and there is no real need to change what is working fine).

There are quite a few web pages (and I seem to remember a Youtube video too I watched) describing how to change the hoses to standard types if you need to. Sounds like that's the way to go if you are having issues with those supplied. Personally, I think all of the accessories (including most media) supplied with a new canister filter are only really there to make the unit functional. What you are paying for is the canister itself, and the 207 is a really look little filter. I didn't use the supplied bio-media (put Matrix in instead) and will swap to clear hose and lily pipes when I get chance. But that said, whilst the Fluval tank accessories may not look the prettiest, I have found them to be surprisingly decent in terms of how they work and the black colour means they aren't noticeable in my tank against the black background.

Perhaps you could post a picture of your filter / tank / cupboard setup and someone might be able to suggest how to arrange the setup better? And if you can describe the "air burp" more (e.g. what it is and where it is coming from) then maybe there is an easy fix.

Hope this helps. Honestly, it's a great little filter going by the many online reviews (assume that's what you researched before buying) and in my own experience. Seems like you just might not have something quite right with the hoses yet....

Regards, James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi, thank you en7jos! I was able to get it to stop burping out clouds of bubbles, turns out the output rubber attachment has to be 2" below water line. I find the hose rim attachment very cumbersome and want to switch that out as well, hoping the acrylic ones with the smoke hose I found works better.

A U piece of tube is a good idea to get it to bend inside my cabinet, but it is actually easier for me to reach when I leave it next to the tank (I am a very senior citizen)! I did buy a smoke color hose and SS lily pipes which I will install soon, when I am brave enough to disconnect it all again! You are right in that it is a nice little filter. I like the aqua stop valves and the media baskets are easy to work with. I also changed out the media to suit my needs, very easy,

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode