How to cover hole in tank lid? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation How to cover hole in tank lid?

I love my Fluval Spec V, I have two of them, but the middle of the lids have a hole where the light hovers not far above. I've never had a problem with this until today.

Although I've had bettas (betta splendens) for years, today a newly acclimated betta (a wild betta/mahachai) apparently decided to jump through that hole. She must be quite the jumper because the water wasn't filled to the top, there was a gap between the surface and the lid. Somehow she jumped through, rolled? off the lid, flopped 8"-10" toward the back of the shelf, fell off the shelf (this was two shelves up), and landed on the bottom shelf. Horrifying, I know.

Cue me, confused, because I'm sitting at my desk next to the tank and out of the corner of my eye I saw something dark fall off the back. I didn't hear a single sound pertaining to this, so thank goodness I saw something out of the corner of my eyes. I keep the area around my tanks bare, so I was confused what had fallen.

I don't know how long it took me to investigate this and to find her on the bottom shelf. I think time stopped for a moment there. I recall unlocking my phone to put on the flashlight app, and then recording with the flash on so I could get a look around the back of the shelf. She was covered in hair and fur (my cat sheds and I didn't dust the bottom shelf), and wasn't moving when I put her back in the tank (although she put up a fight when I picked her up). The hair and fur were confining her but I gently removed it while she was in the tank, and then she was able to move again. She's swimming and behaving normally, but I've been keeping an eye on her.

I shudder to think what would have happened if I'd been in the bathroom or just not even looking that way. Or if she'd fallen between the back of this heavy industrial shelf and the wall, where I can't reach.

For now I blocked off the top of the lid but I need a better solution than a notepad and a piece of plastic. Especially when the light is on. The light is pretty close to this area. Does anyone have any ideas? I know saran wrap would be out of the question, it would limit oxygen and get too hot under the light. I have a metal mesh but I'm worried that will get way too hot.

get out of my house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 12:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yikes, sooo happy she is ok! Lowes will cut a custom piece of thin plexiglass for you. Maybe this could work? Or try to find a thin small piece online and cut it to fit your self. Look for anything thin and plexiglass, kitchen or craft items, etc. can be cheaper.

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
I put clear mesh over mine, but some window screen works too. I literally just used regular clear tape to hold it to the top of the lid.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Tags
fish, hole, jumper, lid, tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode