marinepure - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
marinepure

Anyone with a planted tank using marinepure in their sump? I'm in the process of setting up my tank which will be a 125g display tank with a 30g sump. I'm picking bio media for the sump and I'm almost ready to order some marinepure (still not sure between a large block or the bag of mixed shapes). I read a few reviews on reef2reef and it sounds like marinepure completely reduced their nitrates down to zero or undetectable levels, has this been the case for anyone here, or is there a difference for saltwater vs freshwater?

The reason I ask is because my freshwater tank will be the source of an aquaponic system where we are growing small herbs like kale, cilantro, etc. I guess it's the same concept for anyone with a planted tank, but the plants will depend on the nitrates for nutrition. So will marinepure take that away from them? If so, is it better to just go with some other ceramic media?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
The bacteria for Nitrate reduction are anaerobic, so as long as you don't have any dead spaces (lacking circulation) in your media, you should be fine. I don't know what kind of money that stuff costs, but you could use the 3/8" graded pumice from a garden supply for fairly cheap. I ordered some for my canister filters and it seems to be working very well.

https://www.amazon.com/3-5-Gallon-Ga.../dp/B06XP1FG7T

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode