lily pipes and canister filter - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
lily pipes and canister filter

Hi, I have a 20 gallon heavily planted with shrimp, Cory, and cardinal tetras currently with an HOB filter. I was thinking of changing out to a canister filter with lily pipes. As a newbie which canister is a good match with which lily pipes, ie easy to set up and maintain? I did some research, but am totally confused. I thought the Fluval 207 would be a good choice, but it seems it is hard to clean tubes and hard to fit for lily pipes, non standard size? Please any help would be great!!

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 10:30 PM
Planted Member

I am really liking my Oase Biomaster Thermo 250 with 5/8" lily pipes. Good flow in my 25 gallon. The heater is in the filter, not in the tank.
evil8 likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish+plants View Post
Hi, I have a 20 gallon heavily planted with shrimp, Cory, and cardinal tetras currently with an HOB filter. I was thinking of changing out to a canister filter with lily pipes. As a newbie which canister is a good match with which lily pipes, ie easy to set up and maintain? I did some research, but am totally confused. I thought the Fluval 207 would be a good choice, but it seems it is hard to clean tubes and hard to fit for lily pipes, non standard size? Please any help would be great!!
Don't use the tubing that comes with the Fluvals. Just throw them out and go with standard 5/8 tubing as it works no problem with the aquastop valve. But other than that the 207 or 307 would be my choice as they are bombproof canisters with parts available everywhere.
fish+plants likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 02:44 AM
Algae Grower

I'm in a similar boat. 17gal tank and a Fluval 107. Looking around for info, the first thing I found was to dump the Fluval hoses.

I believe the 207 is the same as the 107. 5/8" or 16/22 for hose and lily sizing.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by platipus View Post
I'm in a similar boat. 17gal tank and a Fluval 107. Looking around for info, the first thing I found was to dump the Fluval hoses.

I believe the 207 is the same as the 107. 5/8" or 16/22 for hose and lily sizing.
All the Fluvals use the same hose. 5/8 on aquastop. The difference is that the end pieces that connect to the aquastop valves are all the same on all the filters but the actual ribbed hoses are smaller in the 107/207.
fish+plants and platipus like this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

l the Fluvals use the same hose. 5/8 on aquastop. The difference is that the end pieces that connect to the aquastop valves are all the same on all the filters but the actual ribbed hoses are smaller in the 107/207.

So does that mean that I would use a 5/8" or 16/22 lily pipe or spray bar so that it would fit on the rubber adapter?

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
l the Fluvals use the same hose. 5/8 on aquastop. The difference is that the end pieces that connect to the aquastop valves are all the same on all the filters but the actual ribbed hoses are smaller in the 107/207.

So does that mean that I would use a 5/8" or 16/22 lily pipe or spray bar so that it would fit on the rubber adapter?
Ditch the ribbed hoses altogether. Just get normal 5/8" tubing and connect it directly to the aquastop and lily pipes. If you want to run 1/2" lily pipes just get a 5/8->1/2 hose barb reducer to convert the hose. But whatever you do just ditch the fluval hoses altogether.
fish+plants likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Don't use the tubing that comes with the Fluvals. Just throw them out and go with standard 5/8 tubing as it works no problem with the aquastop valve. But other than that the 207 or 307 would be my choice as they are bombproof canisters with parts available everywhere.
I did get the 207 and it seems nice so far, was easy to set up, except the rim connectors. but now getting air bubbles, maybe from then sponge I put on the intake to protect fry and shrimp? I do not like the rim connectors, big, ugly and hard to handle, cannot easily take off sponge to clean without shutting down the canister.

Why do you not use the tubing that comes with the Fluval? I am still thinking about how to do this so started looking at a spray bar or two output nozzles. My output is at the end of the tank so it seems it would be best to distribute that somehow. If I use a Y and two nozzles as suggested by (??someone here) I am worried about a super good connection with no leaks! My filter sits on my nice wood floor!

I started looking at various nozzles and the quality seems all over the place, some leak due to poor mold design, others don't have pinhole for back flow protection. And I cannot find a good spray bar; the Fluval kit is n/a anywhere. I am about to give up!

I have not had a canister for years, since back in my saltwater days, and getting frustrated! At least it seems to prime ok! Any help or comments?

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 05:46 PM
Algae Grower

I tried forever to get my flow the way I wanted it using a lily pipe. I finally just went with a spray bar across the back of the tank and it seems to provide pretty good coverage and does well at getting the Co2 to the bottom of the plants as well.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Which spray bar did you use, what canister? How did you do the connections?! I am really trying not to end up with leaks and issues, no patience for that!

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 05:54 PM
Algae Grower

I'm such a simpleton. I just used the stuff that came with my filter. I have a cascade 700 canister that I have been using for about a year and a half now. no leaks at all.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I did get the 207 and it seems nice so far, was easy to set up, except the rim connectors. but now getting air bubbles, maybe from then sponge I put on the intake to protect fry and shrimp? I do not like the rim connectors, big, ugly and hard to handle, cannot easily take off sponge to clean without shutting down the canister.

Why do you not use the tubing that comes with the Fluval? I am still thinking about how to do this so started looking at a spray bar or two output nozzles. My output is at the end of the tank so it seems it would be best to distribute that somehow. If I use a Y and two nozzles as suggested by (??someone here) I am worried about a super good connection with no leaks! My filter sits on my nice wood floor!

I started looking at various nozzles and the quality seems all over the place, some leak due to poor mold design, others don't have pinhole for back flow protection. And I cannot find a good spray bar; the Fluval kit is n/a anywhere. I am about to give up!

I have not had a canister for years, since back in my saltwater days, and getting frustrated! At least it seems to prime ok! Any help or comments?
Because the tubing is ribbed on the inside so it will get detritus stuck on it which will be almost impossible to fully clean. Plus the hoses are ugly when connected to a lily pipe.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for the response. Yes, the hoses are ugly! Any recommendations on a good replacement hose, PVC or silicone or ??? How do I ensure they fit and don't leak?

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 07:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thank you for the response. Yes, the hoses are ugly! Any recommendations on a good replacement hose, PVC or silicone or ??? How do I ensure they fit and don't leak?
Just go with whatever 5/8 hose you like. I myself like silicone hose but others like the beefier stuff.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Uncle_R likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, I got the 5/8" Marineland smoke hose and now cannot figure out how to connect it to the Fluval 207? One search showed using the existing rubber piece and small piece of ribbed hose and then connecting to that???? Or, just push the hose onto the aqua stop valve, but what keeps it a tight fit so there are no leaks? The ribbed hosing seems smaller diameter, so do I need a reducer of some sort? Will This all affect the output?

Sorry, I am so stupid on this, but just can't seem to get it all together. Arghh

Same question on how to connect the hose to the SS lilypipes? Do I just push it on, maybe use a hose clamp?

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode