Smoke/Grey vs Clear Canister Tubing - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Smoke/Grey vs Clear Canister Tubing

I am gathering parts for a new (first) build.

Name brand tanks seem in short supply right now so I ended up going with a Lifegard Aquatics 17 gal from Amazon. Kind of neat with the 45 degree glass corners. Fluval 107 for the filter. Trying to get lily pipes (17mm) to match up with the Fluval 5/8" ports.

All that being said, I think I want to go with smoke/gray (translucent) filter tubing to the lily pipes to mute the algae look. I like the idea and look of clear tubing more, but I am not sure about keeping them clean.

What do most people do to keep clear tubing looking neat? Is a snake brush enough? I will have to clean the lily pipes anyway so I guess it is not much more work to brush the tubing. Does clear vinyl clean up well that way?

For the smoke/grey tubing, I see some of it out there. One online reseller has Shiruba brand in pre-cut 5 and 10 foot lengths for $13.99 and $24.99 respectively. Seems expensive, but there are not many other options I see available.

This is such a minor detail to obsess over, but I've read many posts about problems with wall diameters and crap fitting or pliability so I would like to have this one piece look good and be a non-issue.

Does anybody have recommendations for cleaning on the clear tubing or a source for smoke grey tubing that is not over $2/ft?

Thanks!!!
plat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 04:32 AM
Algae Grower

My eheim hoses were absolutely filthy before running this brush a couple times through them to clean out all the gunk.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
platipus likes this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 12:25 PM
Algae Grower

My original plan was to replace the green/grey tubing that came with my Oase filter with clear tubing. As I am mostly buying online these days I ordered some 5/8" ID clear tubing from Marine Depot. It was a 10 foot piece and came coiled in a bag with 8 kinks in it. They refunded my money once I sent them a photo but I am sure that they shipped it out that way.

There seems to be a choice of either thin wall that kinks or thick wall that is hard to bend and will put pressure on your lily pipes. For now I am sticking with the stock grey tubing and bought a long pipe cleaning brush.

If you order tubing be sure to get the correct ID. I was careless and made one purchase which ended up being the OD measurement.

BTW. Many here have recommended tubing from Home Depot or Lowes.
Leeatl, evil8 and platipus like this.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808style View Post
My eheim hoses were absolutely filthy before running this brush a couple times through them to clean out all the gunk.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So were those clear Eheim tubes or the green ones? If clear, did they look more or less "new" after the the brushing?

Also double plus thumbs up for the Smile links. We support a local dog rescue through Smile. It's not a lot, but I know we've helped buy a few big bags of food at least over the years.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
My original plan was to replace the green/grey tubing that came with my Oase filter with clear tubing. As I am mostly buying online these days I ordered some 5/8" ID clear tubing from Marine Depot. It was a 10 foot piece and came coiled in a bag with 8 kinks in it. They refunded my money once I sent them a photo but I am sure that they shipped it out that way.

There seems to be a choice of either thin wall that kinks or thick wall that is hard to bend and will put pressure on your lily pipes. For now I am sticking with the stock grey tubing and bought a long pipe cleaning brush.

If you order tubing be sure to get the correct ID. I was careless and made one purchase which ended up being the OD measurement.

BTW. Many here have recommended tubing from Home Depot or Lowes.

In all of my googles, not once did the Oase tubing show up. As soon as I put them into the search, boom, there it is. Seems about same price online as the Shiruba.

Thanks!!
RyanT likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 05:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Although I now have only a filter return tube (black) and a surface skimmer (black) visible in my tank, as far as paraphernalia go, I've used many types of clear and colored tubes, parts and flexible tubing. Whenever possible, I use black. It hides dirt and algae better than any other color or clear. In the case of clear flexible tubing and suction pads, they are usually made of polymers that turn bright white in water, making it the worst of all.

If you want the look of clear in your lily pipes, any that are removable will be easy to clean. I also happen to have the brush mentioned by @808style and it is a good one. There are many like it which will work as well. The exterior of parts are usually the more difficult cleaning areas. Microfiber pads are an improvement over other materials. However, soaking the parts in standard 3% H2O2 overnight will turn any algae to mush and make brushing it off under running water a simple thing.
platipus likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
For my sump returns I used the Home Depot clear tubing . The lines are 6ft long . To clean them I took a piece of house wiring and cut to about 6 ft and pulled the black wire out of it . I made a small hook on the end of it . I slide the hook end through the tube and hook a brush to the end and then pull it brush and all back out . Once usually works , but not hard to do multiple times . I do this in the kitchen sink and run water through the tube as I do it . Also these tubes do not turn milky after being in water .
platipus likes this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 02:04 AM
Algae Grower

Hi, similar build to what I am trying to do. I currently have the Lifegard 17, really nice! But I have a HOB filter and want to switch to a canister and lily pipes. I posted a question asking for recommendations. I thought I would get the Fluval 207, but the tubing says it is 14.5 mm so I a thoroughly confused now. I considered the Oase filter, but there were so many concerns about bubbles. Mourip, how is your filter doing and which lily pipe did you use?

I don't mind the black ribbed hose if it is easier to clean, but don't know which lily intake and output pipes would be best and would fit. I have no patience for leaks!!

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 03:10 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish+plants View Post
Hi, similar build to what I am trying to do. I currently have the Lifegard 17, really nice! But I have a HOB filter and want to switch to a canister and lily pipes. I posted a question asking for recommendations. I thought I would get the Fluval 207, but the tubing says it is 14.5 mm so I a thoroughly confused now. I considered the Oase filter, but there were so many concerns about bubbles. Mourip, how is your filter doing and which lily pipe did you use?

I don't mind the black ribbed hose if it is easier to clean, but don't know which lily intake and output pipes would be best and would fit. I have no patience for leaks!!
I have the Biomaster Thermo 250. I have a Jardli 5/8" glass lily pipe outlet and a FZONE Aquatic 5/8" Glass Lily Pipe Inflow with Surface Skimmer. I use an inline CO2 diffuser. I did add an external controller for the heater. Except for the last tray, I replaced the Oase filter tray foam with various biomedia and drilled some extra holes in the prefilter intake pipe. I have plenty of flow for my 25 gallon tank. The fish surf the lily pipe output!

Regarding bubbles. I am careful to adjust my skimmer so that no air gets pulled in. Whenever I remove the pre-filter for cleaning I burp the filter as I restart the pump. You just need to tip it in all 4 directions until the bubbles stop. Once burped there is no gurgling. I think that early pumps had air leaks that caused bubbles but that has been remedied. I do have some hum to get rid of but it is just vibration from the tubing touching the cabinet.

I am very happy with this setup.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 03:49 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by platipus View Post
So were those clear Eheim tubes or the green ones? If clear, did they look more or less "new" after the the brushing?

Also double plus thumbs up for the Smile links. We support a local dog rescue through Smile. It's not a lot, but I know we've helped buy a few big bags of food at least over the years.

Bump:

In all of my googles, not once did the Oase tubing show up. As soon as I put them into the search, boom, there it is. Seems about same price online as the Shiruba.

Thanks!!
It was the standard green tubing but you can definitely see when there is crud in there and the brush got it out. I have some clear tubing I'm gonna try to clean out in a few days so I'll see how that looks after I'm done with it.
Hell yeah, good on you for also shopping on Amazon Smile! My donations go to my local Humane Society.
platipus likes this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 08:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Opaque black is best, you can’t see biofilm inside and lack of light prevents algae from growing. Don’t want to see hoses coming up behind tank, well you should have a opaque background on tank anyway. Doesn’t matter what color it is, get some .125” pvc and some spray paints and do a gradient fade of any color you like.

Only part of return or intake for canister you should see is what comes over the tank rim inside tank. Sorry but these but these clear glass pipes on clear glass on back look like crap after only 2weeks, who wants to have to clean inside of their aquarium plumbing every 2 weeks to keep it looking good. Cleaning inside aquarium is time consuming enough.

I really wish they would take those stainless attachments and lengthen the downpipes so all you can see behind tank is a stainless pipe behind clear glass, I like those stainless attachments look a lot.. Probably a little smooth flow S elbow as it crosses stand level. All you would see through back glass is a opaque piece of stainless tubing, not the crud growing inside of it. Of coarse being opaque stainless there would be way less algae/crud growing in tube to begin with.

There I’ve finished my rant, glass pipes are the devil and meant for narcissistic posers. :-)
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 02:19 PM
Planted Member

I wanted clear hose with glass pipes at first too. I also ended up with the soft hose that kinks too easy so now I'm again running new hose from Oase. It's not the cleaning that gets me it's, as some of you say above, the rigidity (or lack there of) that irritates me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
There Iíve finished my rant, glass pipes are the devil and meant for narcissistic posers. :-)
Hahahahaha! I resemble that remark!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 04:09 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Opaque black is best, you canít see biofilm inside and lack of light prevents algae from growing. Donít want to see hoses coming up behind tank, well you should have a opaque background on tank anyway. Doesnít matter what color it is, get some .125Ē pvc and some spray paints and do a gradient fade of any color you like.

Only part of return or intake for canister you should see is what comes over the tank rim inside tank. Sorry but these but these clear glass pipes on clear glass on back look like crap after only 2weeks, who wants to have to clean inside of their aquarium plumbing every 2 weeks to keep it looking good. Cleaning inside aquarium is time consuming enough.

I really wish they would take those stainless attachments and lengthen the downpipes so all you can see behind tank is a stainless pipe behind clear glass, I like those stainless attachments look a lot.. Probably a little smooth flow S elbow as it crosses stand level. All you would see through back glass is a opaque piece of stainless tubing, not the crud growing inside of it. Of coarse being opaque stainless there would be way less algae/crud growing in tube to begin with.

There Iíve finished my rant, glass pipes are the devil and meant for narcissistic posers. :-)
Nice, thank you! I am really rethinking my plans!!! You may have saved me money and frustrations!

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

LOL, great input!!

Although I feel like I am 13 again and my parents just told me why I can't have Guess Jeans and the Wranglers are good enough.
DaveKS likes this.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 08:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish+plants View Post
Nice, thank you! I am really rethinking my plans!!! You may have saved me money and frustrations!
These to me are still best nozzles. You can find a pair of them on amazon for like $14, take a Y off canister and run a couple of these up over back wall. You can point them in any direction you want, can aim them up or down any amount you want, turn that flat nozzle vertical and aim it a back wall blowing down back wall of tank behind plants.

Setup a circulation pattern sort of like this where circulation patterns get tank moving as a whole, working together and you will be surprised what a small canister that only hits maybe 5-6x water turnover in tank will do.

Intelligent design of circulation in tank beats raw power (gph) everytime without fail.
fish+plants, mourip and platipus like this.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 07:48 PM
Algae Grower

What type of background do you have on the back wall of the tank. I always use translucent background. To make the pipes invisible at the back I prefer clear tubes. I clean the tubes regularly. The clear tubes look better IMHO if you keep them clean.

-Preeths

Tags
hose, tubing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode