Smoke/Grey vs Clear Canister Tubing - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
platipus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preeths View Post
What type of background do you have on the back wall of the tank. I always use translucent background. To make the pipes invisible at the back I prefer clear tubes. I clean the tubes regularly. The clear tubes look better IMHO if you keep them clean.

I am not sure what yet because I don't know where I am placing the tank yet. It could be kind of in the middle of my office in which case I probably would not put a background on it. If it ends up against a wall, then I will probably mask the back.


I ended up just getting some clear tubing for now. If it turns out to be a PITA, then it's easy enough to swap to a darker or opaque tubing I guess.

17 Gal Lifegard (23.5x12x14.5)
Fluval 107 - Fluval Plant 3.0 - Hydor Inline 200W - Bettatail Reg/Inline CO2
Fluval Stratum/CaribSea Eco-Complete
platipus is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2,208
If your going with a rimless tank the only way to go is clear tubing with lily pipes, otherwise your defeating the minimalist look of the rimless.

Tubing is very easy to clean with a brush. It takes 10 seconds. My lily pipe return you could clean while attached to the tank by inserting brush into open mouth area, So the only thing you need to take off the tank is the intake and clean wiith a brush and/or bleach mix. Good to have two sets incase of breakage or if you don't want to clean right away.
Jeff5614 and platipus like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Asteroid is online now  
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
platipus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
If your going with a rimless tank the only way to go is clear tubing with lily pipes, otherwise your defeating the minimalist look of the rimless.

Tubing is very easy to clean with a brush. It takes 10 seconds. My lily pipe return you could clean while attached to the tank by inserting brush into open mouth area, So the only thing you need to take off the tank is the intake and clean wiith a brush and/or bleach mix. Good to have two sets incase of breakage or if you don't want to clean right away.

I like the 2 sets of pipes to swap idea!!

17 Gal Lifegard (23.5x12x14.5)
Fluval 107 - Fluval Plant 3.0 - Hydor Inline 200W - Bettatail Reg/Inline CO2
Fluval Stratum/CaribSea Eco-Complete
platipus is online now  
 
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 11:59 AM
Algae Grower
 
derecs's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
There seems to be a choice of either thin wall that kinks or thick wall that is hard to bend and will put pressure on your lily pipes. For now I am sticking with the stock grey tubing and bought a long pipe cleaning brush.
I had immense pressure on my glass lily pipes with my Oase gray tubing at first. I still have the gray tubing. I do like that it mutes algae presence buying me a bit of time for a good spring brush cleaning. To facilitate spring brush cleaning, I purchased the Eheim double stops for disconnecting my hoses mid-way (I don't dare remove the tubing from the glass lily pipes, too much chance for breakage). Anyway, secret benefit of the double stops is they too eliminate pressure on the hoses and allow me to effectively coil them where I couldn't do that before.
derecs is online now  
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 03:05 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by derecs View Post
I had immense pressure on my glass lily pipes with my Oase gray tubing at first. I still have the gray tubing. I do like that it mutes algae presence buying me a bit of time for a good spring brush cleaning. To facilitate spring brush cleaning, I purchased the Eheim double stops for disconnecting my hoses mid-way (I don't dare remove the tubing from the glass lily pipes, too much chance for breakage). Anyway, secret benefit of the double stops is they too eliminate pressure on the hoses and allow me to effectively coil them where I couldn't do that before.
I have been contemplating the Eheim disconnects also. Where do you have them inserted? Closer to the pump or the pipes? One problem for my setup is that my stand is a lot longer than my tank. The back of the tank is flush with the back of the stand but the side that I have my pipes on is not near the edge of the stand. Drilling is not an option so I have a serious tubing bend especially for my outlet.

Also my Oase uses 5/8" ID tubing. For some reason the Eheim quick connects for that size are twice as expensive as their 1/2 version and a pair will cost over $100. Pretty steep!
mourip is offline  
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 03:10 PM
Algae Grower
 
derecs's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 9
Hmm, I did manage to find the 13/17mm larger size eheim disconnects for about $22 each, so $44 or so for a pair. I have them mounted mid-line. My Oase sits on the floor to the left of my stand (visible). It's not ideal, but it's also not an ugly piece of equipment. This makes maintenance on the prefilter much much easier.

Anyway, mine are mounted mid-line, just below the height of the glass. This lets me use about a 48" spring brush with no problem on both 'halves' of my filter lines. The eheim disconnects have a ridiculous center-brace in them negating the use of a spring brush from that end, but it's no big deal, I just disconnect half the eheim stop valve from the tubing for cleaning, then reconnect.
derecs is online now  
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2,208
i have dis-connects on everything since I have only eheims, but I still remove the tubing from the intake pipe. I actually get more nervous running the brush through the tubing and all the way through the intake curve in terms of breakage since it's hard to pull it out.

If not aware never twist or bend the tubing to remove it, just push straight in toward the pipe. That breaks the suction and it comes right off. Never broke one yet doing it that way.
mourip likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Asteroid is online now  
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by derecs View Post
Hmm, I did manage to find the 13/17mm larger size eheim disconnects for about $22 each, so $44 or so for a pair. I have them mounted mid-line. My Oase sits on the floor to the left of my stand (visible). It's not ideal, but it's also not an ugly piece of equipment. This makes maintenance on the prefilter much much easier.

Anyway, mine are mounted mid-line, just below the height of the glass. This lets me use about a 48" spring brush with no problem on both 'halves' of my filter lines. The eheim disconnects have a ridiculous center-brace in them negating the use of a spring brush from that end, but it's no big deal, I just disconnect half the eheim stop valve from the tubing for cleaning, then reconnect.
Thanks for the details.

My Oase Biomaster 250 uses 16/22 tubing. The Eheim 16/22 (5/8") disconnects are unfortunately twice as expensive as your 13/17 (1/2").
mourip is offline  
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 06:52 PM
Algae Grower
 
derecs's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 9
So I was lazy last time and going from memory. I looked at my order history and ordered these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which worked with my Oase BioMaster 600 Thermo just fine, with stock gray hosing.
derecs is online now  
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 01:38 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 135
Could these work:
https://www.marinedepot.com/delta-qu...nature-systems

How are you liking the Oase? I was thinking about one or the UNS Delta for a 17 gallon.

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
fish+plants is online now  
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 11:04 PM
Algae Grower
 
Preeths's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
I have been contemplating the Eheim disconnects also. Where do you have them inserted? Closer to the pump or the pipes? One problem for my setup is that my stand is a lot longer than my tank. The back of the tank is flush with the back of the stand but the side that I have my pipes on is not near the edge of the stand. Drilling is not an option so I have a serious tubing bend especially for my outlet.

Also my Oase uses 5/8" ID tubing. For some reason the Eheim quick connects for that size are twice as expensive as their 1/2 version and a pair will cost over $100. Pretty steep!

The custom PC cooling solutions use PETG and Acrylic tubes. There are numerous videos on you tube on how to bend acrylic and PETG tubes.I used this method to make some acrylic inlet and outlet for my tank using 12X18 mm and 10X13mm Acrylic pipes. You could try something like this. It looks really good. I was able to customize the pipes for my specific tank and water level I would have. I am stuck away from home for the next few weeks due to COVID. I will post some pictures once I get home in a few weeks.

-Preeths
Preeths is offline  
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 11:15 PM
Algae Grower
 
Preeths's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 140
Being able to make my own Inlet and outlet has been Fun. I was able to replace the Green or Black attachments that came with the canister filters. Its fun to make, way cheaper than glass lily pipes, and if you break them you can make an other one in 15 -20 minutes.

-Preeths
Preeths is offline  
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 11:47 PM
Algae Grower
 
P.Isley's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Chicago
Posts: 97
USA tubing from home depot or lowes will be 1/2" ID or 3/4" Inner Diameter (ID) and either way too skinny or way too fat OD. You can go the way too skinny route (like I did) and fuss around with the canister connectors popping off and flooding your aquarium cabinet when you mess with them, or pay an extra $10 and order the proper metric sized tubing off of amazon (which I also eventually did). *ugh*

Clear or opaque, you are gonna have to clean those lines to get the best performance out of your canister filter. It is shocking how much flow decreases from build up in the pipes. If you have an inline CO2 diffuser or CO2 reactor, decreased flow is going to mess with your CO2 injection rate. Which causes more problems. Booo!

Sooo... lowest maintenance - super dark tubes, in-tank CO2 diffuser stone.

Otherwise, get a good pipebrush, lube your lily pipes with silicone oil at the tube connection point to reduce the trauma of getting those suckers off without breaking them, and make the commitment to clean the everything bi-monthly. (Also - little suction cups with zip ties to keep your tubes in place will be your best friends.)
P.Isley is offline  
Reply

Tags
hose, tubing

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome