• 1 Post By butchblack
  • 1 Post By GrampsGrunge
  • 2 Post By Asteroid
  • 1 Post By Deanna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Not new to aquariums and plants but new to Co2.

This is probably a no brainer to most but I'm a co2 noob. I have a 6 foot long 125 gallon aquarium. In the back of the aquarium I have the inlet and outlet to a canister filter, in the middle I have a long air stone, and at the other end I have the inlet and outlet to another canister filter. I have read that with co2 to only run the air at night. Do I need it at all? The main question I have is where would it be best to place the diffuser? I'm using a Flux diffuser. Any insight would help. I thank you in advance

Kent Nolen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Generally you would place the diffuser opposite one of the return outlets so the flow smashes the co2 bubble stream and disperses it. Placing it as low as possible will give the co2 bubbles time to move about the tank. If some go to the surface its not really a problem. If the filter doesn't have enough flow across the 125G to break up the bubbles you could place it under the return and let the outlet carry the co2 across the tank.
JKNolen likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 08:53 PM
Algae Grower

For a 6 foot long tank you'll likely need multiple in-tank diffusers throughout the tank to get appropriate CO2 dispersion. I have difficulty getting decent flow across a 20 long (30 inches) with just 1 in-tank diffuser. Alternatively you get an inline diffuser, which honestly I'd suggest, and then as long as you are getting adequate flow from your filter, you'll get good CO2 dispersion evertwhere.

As for the airstone, yeah don't run it while the CO2 is on.
JKNolen likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Don't pay attention to the algae bloom and the rocks are one the log temporarily until it stops trying to float. It's hard to see but in each back corner is the filter inlet and outlet. The left filter flows to the right and the right filter flows to the left. I have a notion to put the spray bars on and direct the flow towards the front glass. If you look at the crypt at the right end of the log the log is hollow right there. I thought about putting the diffuser inside the log and letting it bubble out from the log. Any thoughts? I have some more plants coming Thursday to fill up the bare spots and some red to add some color. What's your thoughts? How would you run the co2? Any thoughts or criticism is appreciated. Click image for larger version

Name:	110637673_1617532231748125_2839384746386265477_n.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	901209

Kent Nolen
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 09:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hi there. I have no comment regarding the CO2 and am only reading to learn more about them as well. However, I would like to suggest to soak or even try to boil the driftwood until it becomes waterlogged, so that you won't need the rocks. Boiling it would even help with the tannin. Please disregard if you've already done it, of course.
JKNolen likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was going to get an in line diffuser but I run sun sun canisters and the tubing is 3/4" ID and 1" OD. Too thick for in line diffuser.

Kent Nolen
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 04:38 AM
Algae Grower

You could probably find some reducers to splice in a little section of smaller tubing to fit an inline diffuser if you wanted to go that route.
JKNolen likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 12:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

I run a 125g with co2 and found that an inline diffuser fed into a large DIY reactor, placed in the middle of the tank, works best. But I had to increase the flow of the tank significantly with powerheads and 3 large canister filters.

The other thing I noticed is you’ll want to increase your plant mass by like 300%. Plant heavily from the get go, and add easy fast growing stem plants (which can be removed as you go).
JKNolen likes this.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKNolen View Post
I was going to get an in line diffuser but I run sun sun canisters and the tubing is 3/4" ID and 1" OD. Too thick for in line diffuser.
This would work with your sun sun canisters. I use one on my 75g and it works well.

https://aquariumplants.com/carbondos...-reactor-5000/
JKNolen likes this.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 10:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

I also agree that if you plan on running that much light, get more plants into the tank, something easy and fast growing like Rotala Rotundifolia. I'm also thinking an inline diffuser would be your best option.

I don't have a big home tank, my 20 gallon is running a HOB/Canister with a CO2 line with a piece of Sishkabob skewer inserted and fed up the canister return pipe/deflector a few inches to disperse the CO2 in a turbulent manner into the tank.

It works fairly well but a few bubbles do manage to make the surface. This is more DIY than most folks would want to mess with.
JKNolen likes this.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

Last edited by GrampsGrunge; 07-23-2020 at 10:32 PM. Reason: ....
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The funny thing is when I was buying stuff for this build I bought two lights with timers and soon found out I only needed one. The light you see, there is an identical one sitting behind it not on. Turn it on. Boy do you have some light!

Hey, should I run one sun sun 304b with an in line diffuser or install a T and run both sun sun 304b with an in line diffuser?

Kent Nolen

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-25-2020 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 12:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKNolen View Post
Hey, should I run one sun sun 304b with an in line diffuser or install a T and run both sun sun 304b with an in line diffuser?
One is more than adequate. I know you received alot of different advise. There are many ways to diffuse co2 effectively and your original way with the in-tank diffuser is fine as well. If you already have it, you might as well try it as I described in the my first post. Co2 is cheap so even if it turned out you have to run it a little stronger, it really won't amount to anything.

Some food for thought, all of these tanks in the ADA gallery (including 6 footers) run one in-tank diffuser.

Greggz and JKNolen like this.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I finally got my delivery from Co2 art. My daughter will get the tank filled and hook it up next week I guess. Is there really a reason to run air at night or does it need it? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks again!

Kent Nolen
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 09:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

No, it's not needed if you are shutting CO2 off at night and may not be necessary even if you run CO2 24/7. You should make sure that you have good surface rippling going on all the time to ensure good gas exchange. The best way to do this is with the filter return or a separate pump or skimmer. Air stones look like they are putting O2 into the water, but they are not as efficient as making sure the waters' surface is full of ripples. I run my CO2 24/7 with no issues.
JKNolen likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I know I'm probably driving you crazy with all of the questions. I apologize, it will be set up soon. Okay the tank is 6' I have the inlet to the filters one in each back corner. I will have a spray bar on each end facing each other causing surface tension and hopefully circulating the water through out the tank. What do you think if I put the diffuser dead center of the back wall?

Kent Nolen

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode