• 2 Post By gus6464
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Could use some help troubleshooting Fluval canisters

Hello all,

Longtime lurker here and I come with an equipment question that I'm hoping the community can help me with. Specifically, I have dual Fluval 406's on my 90G and they both seem to have a permanent rattle at this point which is driving me NUTS. I've always been able to troubleshoot these things myself in the past with some quick disassembly but at this point nothing works. I would hate to spend more money on another expensive filter that might just have the same problem a few years down the road, and the rattling noise in my tank room is unbearable.

Some more detail:
  • - One of the filters is about 6 years old. The other is only 2-3 years old. Neither seem like they are old enough that they should be breaking.
  • - I clean the sponges and filtration within the filters every few months. Not so often that I'm constantly fiddling with equipment, but often enough that I'm clearing of any kind of detritus so that the sponges stay clear.
  • - There is no visible damage to the filter or its parts. The impellers look fine, as does the cavity in which the impellers are housed.
  • -I will note that one of the filters, the piece called the "Aquastop Valve" that snaps the hoses into the top of the filter needs a little bit of muscle to properly snap down. I'm not sure why this is as nothing looks "off" and I don't remember any specific incident when the valve was mishandled.
  • -I have many times to stop the filter, disconnect the hoses, open the top, and then re-start with various levels of re-priming the filter (in the past sometimes more or less priming would help). None of this works anymore.
  • -Sometimes I plug in the filters after a cleaning and they do not start despite never being opened or otherwise disrupted.

One thing I can think of... could power outages over time damage the filters? They are plugged into a surge protector, but I am wondering if this could have been the start of my problems.

I'm not sure what other details I can add, but would be REALLY appreciative of any advice the community can share as I'm about at my wit's end dealing with this on top of work and keeping two kids busy in the midst of a pandemic.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 07:21 PM
Algae Grower

There is only one moving part in these filters, and it's the impeller. If you have a rattle, it's probably the impeller, or the ceramic impeller shaft, or both. Over time, the shaft wears down a little bit, and it can cause the impeller to wiggle slightly as it spins (which causes noise).

The impeller and shaft need to be replaced every couple of years, so you are due for replacement (especially on the one that's 6 years old!!!)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
A rattle usually happens when a huge air bubble enters the impeller and seizes it. When was the last time you serviced the seals? Huge air bubbles like that only tend to happen when somewhere in the system the seal is failing. You said your aquastop valve is hard to snap on that is likely your culprit. A properly lubed seal should pretty much let the aquastop slide in with almost no force.

There are 3 main seals in the Fluval x06 canister:
1. Main top seal of pump which opens the filter.
2. 2 seals inside where the aquastop goes one for intake and outtake

Take out the seals and lather them with silicone grease and reinstall.
Leeatl and evil8 like this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you! I will try replacing the impeller and/or shaft.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
A rattle usually happens when a huge air bubble enters the impeller and seizes it. When was the last time you serviced the seals? Huge air bubbles like that only tend to happen when somewhere in the system the seal is failing. You said your aquastop valve is hard to snap on that is likely your culprit. A properly lubed seal should pretty much let the aquastop slide in with almost no force.

Thanks so much. I admit this is not something that I knew about before and don't entirely understand but I'll read up a bit. How can I be assured I find silicone grease that doesn't contain any harmful/toxic ingredients? Is there something made specifically for aquariums as is there is with sealant?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 08:37 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post

Air in the filter can cause a noise, but if you tilt the canister back and forth and side to side while its running, it will typically purge any air (whether just a normal buildup or if from a leak somewhere). If it goes silent after purging the air in this way, then you'd know it was the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjm20 View Post

Bump:

Thanks so much. I admit this is not something that I knew about before and don't entirely understand but I'll read up a bit. How can I be assured I find silicone grease that doesn't contain any harmful/toxic ingredients? Is there something made specifically for aquariums as is there is with sealant?
The instruction manual says you can just use vegetable oil.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjm20 View Post

Bump:

I just use divers grease from Amazon. That stuff is NSF rated and cheap.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
MrBrongher and Leeatl like this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 09:44 PM

really interesting suggestions, thanks a lot)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Might try to turn it off and on a few times quick . Sometimes fixes noise in my filters . Also try to put some pure silicone on the impeller shaft .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedfunk View Post
Air in the filter can cause a noise, but if you tilt the canister back and forth and side to side while its running, it will typically purge any air (whether just a normal buildup or if from a leak somewhere). If it goes silent after purging the air in this way, then you'd know it was the cause.

I have done this a lot in the past with success, but it hasn't worked lately with this particular problem. So, I suppose the problem must be mechanical. But thank you for the suggestion!

The instruction manual says you can just use vegetable oil.
Interesting! I will have try to dig up my manual to check and maybe I will give that a try. That would be a really easy fix.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 05:35 PM
Algae Grower

What do use use for ouflow? I had a short third party spraybar which restricted flow and it would make my 206 very noisy. Eventually I extended the length of the spraybar and it solved the problem.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Should also point out that one should do a lubing of the seals once a year if the filter is in service. Doing this will make the seals last pretty much forever.

This is the stuff I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Trident-acc57...8-2&th=1&psc=1
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Two small points that may help sort the problem. One is that you can actually "test" the impeller shaft by rolling it along a solidly flat surface while shining a light on the backside while watching for light leaking through under the shaft. Doing it in several places along the surface to make sure the leak is not from a crooked top rather than a worn impeller shaft. A darkened room helps see the light but if you see it, there may be worn spots on the shaft and that can make noise.
One way to extend the life of shafts is to always make a habit of rotating/ flipping the shaft over each cleaning. That makes wear happen in different locations each time.
For lube, a hint I picked up from the Eheim manuals is using petroleum jelly that comes without any scent, colors, etc that we don't need. Often called Vasoline but we don't want the stuff with menthol!!!! I use Equate from Wal-mart.
It comes from the petro industry but it is processed not still petro and it stays in place really well but makes any rubbery item slide better. so that makes it really handy to keep a little tub and just put a smear on things like O-rings, seals or especially the ball valves like the double quick connects that Eheim uses. The levers on valves don't break off if we lube them first! Lube one and you can tell the difference immediately.
evil8 likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 03:27 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
For lube ... I use Equate from Wal-mart.
That is what I recently started using too. I was using a gasket silicone from the hardware store, but they only had tiny tubes and was 3x more expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 planted nano community fish tanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode