• 1 Post By vvDO
  • 1 Post By Deanna
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Good precise needle valves?

Just realized one of mine is going out. I can open it awfully wide and only get 2-3 bps. Diffuser is only 6 months old, so feel pretty certain this is the part giving me trouble. I got the original from Rex Grigg 15 years ago, and it's been in use a little more than half that time so I don't feel it was a bad purchase. I'd much rather drop more $ on one that I won't have to think about for a while though than get something that is either short-lived or hard to keep set. What are you guys using? TIA.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
Reg Grigg use fabco NV-55, ideal series 1 and swagelok, which one is yours?
you turned it too hard? the needle might be damaged, if not, you can open it, clean inside and see if the orings/seals need to be replaced.

there is another possible problem which cause the low bubble count, not the needle valve issue but there is a leak.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

It's a Fabco. I have a pair of them feeding 2 aquariums off of one regulator, and of course it would die on the one without a pH controller. I suppose it's possible that I turned it too hard, but I don't see how. I got them both adjusted, set up and running and suddenly in the last few days this one has been slowing way down. There's pressure on the line, I can't rule out a minor leak somewhere but I sure can't find one with soapy water. I'm inclined to replace rather than take this one apart but if I thought I could actually accomplish anything I'd dig into it once I have something else in hand in case I break it (or finish breaking it).

Would you have a link to anything you'd recommend?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think the culprit is the leak, need to check a little bit more further, leakage is the most sneaky problem when we are dealing with co2 system issues.

for the needle valve, the same fabco nv-55 is available on evil bay, and official website.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Checking your leak thread now, thanks for all the help!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Checking your leak thread now, thanks for all the help!

Can you take any check valves out of the line?
Besides soap tests it's the next thing to look at. Don't forget the one built into a bubble counter IF that applies.

Cranking the pressure up also helps reveal a sticky check valve.

Inless it's dirt in the needle valve the above 2 things are more likely..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Just realized one of mine is going out. I can open it awfully wide and only get 2-3 bps. Diffuser is only 6 months old, so feel pretty certain this is the part giving me trouble. I got the original from Rex Grigg 15 years ago, and it's been in use a little more than half that time so I don't feel it was a bad purchase. I'd much rather drop more $ on one that I won't have to think about for a while though than get something that is either short-lived or hard to keep set. What are you guys using? TIA.

I had a similar issue, thought the needle valve wasnít working, or something wrong with the regulator. I had placed a new diffuser on it about 2-3 months before. What I found was the diffuser was getting clogged very easily. I would clean out the diffuser, even bleached dip, worked well for 2-3 days then very little flow. Tubing was well pressurized just like you are seeing. Gas just didnít want to push through. I changed the diffuser and everything is working well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Worth a shot. I have a whole new regulator coming this week from @Bettatail. If that doesn't solve the issue, I'll order a new diffuser and see if that does the trick. Thanks!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 01:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Worth a shot. I have a whole new regulator coming this week from @Bettatail. If that doesn't solve the issue, I'll order a new diffuser and see if that does the trick. Thanks!
If you have the room and are inclined to DIY, reactors (Griggs or Cerges) make life easier than using diffusers.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Sorry, confused members! @Flowerfshs, got my lines crossed.
flowerfishs likes this.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi, just curious if you were able to fix the issue you had.

Quote:

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Not really, but I'm closer. When I first installed the new regulator, the bubble counter ran like a champ for a few, then petered out to where it had been. SO I know that a pressure surge will get it moving. I have a new check valve I'll replace the old one with before I try anything else, but that's going to involve boiling water to soften the (rather old) CO2 tubing attached to the bubble counter. I've had a lot on my plate this last few weeks, I'd have usually gotten to it by now but the tanks are doing well so I can move it down the list. If replacing the check valve doesn't work, I'll order a new needle valve. If that doesn't work, I'll replace all of the tubing at which point literally everything will be new.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode