K1 vs K1 Micro vs ZM-II Media compared - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Viper.sg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
K1 vs K1 Micro vs ZM-II Media compared

While I have Biohome Ultimate and Seachem Matrix, this article compelled me to re-assess the mix of filter media to use.

AquariumScience.org Filter Media Test

I purchased both 30ppi foam and K1 type media to fill up my filter. Here’s a comparison of K1 alongside K1 Micro and ZM-II. I’ll be using both K1 Micro and ZM-II for my static and moving bed filter. My observation is that the K1 micro has stronger structural strength while the ZM-II may have a bit more internal surface area. For a static bed, I think the K1 Micro is better than the ZM-II because it’s outside ridges are more “raised” which makes water flow a bit better between each piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09D1DAB5-DB23-4996-A65C-EB10BED1B4B8.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	900295  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 12:32 PM
Algae Grower

Probably one of the best sites for 99% of your questions, proved over the years. I ditched Matrix after a one year test and it did nothing. Knowing that is is just cheap pumice stone, and stone is not porous, nor is biohome or ceramic. You must have water flowing through your media to oxidize ammonia, not around it. Your K1 may be expensive and like that web site says, sponges and pot scrubbies have 10 times the surface area of any hard, non porous media. 30 ppi foam is nice but still clogs up in about 4 weeks. Better to use 10/20 ppi foam so it won't clog for about 4-6 months. I use only 10/20 ppi foam and pot scrubbies in my canister and only 10/20 ppi foam in my HOB's. Water has never been better. Best of all, I don't have to clean anything for months.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 06:00 PM
Algae Grower

I agree with this article. I run a 40 breeder sump on a 75 gallon. My ONLY filtration is a 3 inch thick block of 10ppi poret followed by a 3 inch thick block of 30ppi. Both cut to fit tightly in the first chamber of the sump. Once a month i rinse the 10 ppi which catches big stuff and keeps the 30ppi from blocking quickly. Every 6 months i squeeze out the 30ppi and let the 10ppi alone to re-seed the filter. My water is like crystal, and never any measurable ammonia whatsoever in a heavily stocked and planted tank. The plants take care of excess nitrates.

Have a middle chanber I was giing to use as a k1 fluidized section but why, other than it looks neat. The 17.75×13x3 inch foam blocks seem to be doing it all...mechanical and biological.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Great to know the 10/20 ppi foam works the best! I now have 20ppi and K1 micro in place of matrix and biohome.
Somefishguy likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode