UV Sterilizer - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
I think we are saying the same thing ...and I agree with you. You are talking about what is required, in terms of wattage and flow to kill. I am talking about selecting a product, but the product, in the case of my recommendation to the OP, is to buy one capable of Level 1 sterilization. Manufacturers do "tune" their design to certain kill levels based upon their recommendations for flow, bulb wattage and tank size. As you said, to get ideal turnover through the UVS, you would need to go to a larger unit to get that turnover rate for a larger tank. We could not turn a clarifier into a Level 1 sterilizer.
You are using kill rate as the qualifying question when selecting a uv unit and that's what I'm trying to get at. The qualifying question on what uv to buy is how much water you got. Kill rate is a variable that will depend entirely on the user. I can make a uv unit kill whatever I want within x amount of water but I can't make the unit sterilize more water than it was designed for. Upsizing is fine as long as you can push the amount of water the thing calls for with the desired kill rate. You can't downsize though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
DigityDog70 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 07:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
You are using kill rate as the qualifying question when selecting a uv unit and that's what I'm trying to get at. The qualifying question on what uv to buy is how much water you got. Kill rate is a variable that will depend entirely on the user. I can make a uv unit kill whatever I want within x amount of water but I can't make the unit sterilize more water than it was designed for. Upsizing is fine as long as you can push the amount of water the thing calls for with the desired kill rate. You can't downsize though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Yes, that is what I thought I implied in my first response to the OP: buy a Level 1 capable UVS that fits your tank (but I didn't describe what to look for in doing it). It should be easy to figure out based upon the manufacturers' instructions.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 08:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
As far as flow rate goes... just set it on the slowest setting and forget it.
hbosman and DigityDog70 like this.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 06:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have one I bought recently. Yes, it is bulky and ugly. I put it in the tank for about 3 days to clear up the green water and then took it out. No use running it and burning out the bulb if not needed. If I had sump, I might consider keeping it in their and plugging it into a timer running it so many hours a day. As has been suggested, turn down the flow rate to increase dwell time.
DigityDog70 likes this.

Last edited by hbosman; 07-02-2020 at 06:59 PM. Reason: add more
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I have an oase unit. Built in italy. I wouldn't trust anything that combines UV radiation, water, a glass housing, and electricity without good certs. The alternative is to use a pentaire system.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 10:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Made in Italy, that would make me feel safe! ;-)
Mine is plugged into a GFCI when in use.

Tags
jup-23

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode