How much aeration is needed at night to gas off the co2? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GrampsGrunge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
jdk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How much aeration is needed at night to gas off the co2?

Hi, i have this newly rescaped (the tank had been running for a month previously) 30 gal aquascape tank and currently do not have a solenoid valve (im currently ordering it as im typing).

I had the co2 flow controller set so that no co2 comes out at night for the whole month. But there suddenly seems to be something broken inside when i checked a minute ago and now i cant set it so that there would be completely no co2 coming out. I've already set the airstones and the aeration right now is probably so high that even the tetras that come near the airstones gets swept away instantly. I wouldnt worry about the fishes getting stressed as they can easily find a spot with no current.

Now here is the question. Because i dont have my solenoid valve yet, how much aeration is needed so that its enough to gas off the co2 and make everything safe? Im also worried about the amount of aeration needed because the co2 drop checker doesn't seem to be turning blue. Pls reply asap if you have any answers or suggestions.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 04:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
oh that does seem problematic,

the only answer is going to be to aerate until the drop checker is blue even with the CO2 running. if the aeration is not doing the job then you can also aim the outlet of your filter to the surface to provide more turbulence.

The first suggestion that I can think of is that instead of running the risk of letting the CO2 go 24/7 is to just manually turn off the main gas cylinder valve (if it is a 5/10/20lb tank, disconnect if it is paintball). not the needle valve as you may have trouble adjusting it again in the morning. The plants are also producing CO2 at night and if the drop checker is not blue right now then I wouldn't risk gasing the fish at night.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 06:56 AM
Algae Grower

once you install the solenoid, you'll still need to maintain good surface agitation. get a surface skimmer. you'd be surprised how much it aids in gas exchange. get rid of the drop checker and invest in a pH pen or monitor. drop checker tells you what your co2 was 2-3 hours prior, probably why you haven't seen it change. you want a 1pt drop in pH by the time your lights come on and to remain there throughout the photoperiod.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 10:39 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by moke View Post
once you install the solenoid, you'll still need to maintain good surface agitation. get a surface skimmer. you'd be surprised how much it aids in gas exchange. get rid of the drop checker and invest in a pH pen or monitor. drop checker tells you what your co2 was 2-3 hours prior, probably why you haven't seen it change. you want a 1pt drop in pH by the time your lights come on and to remain there throughout the photoperiod.
I wouldn't ditch it. I'd use both. To promote learning in the hobby, it will be important to see what your reading on you "uncalibrated/poorly calibrated" pH pen corresponds to a color change that is ONLY influenced by gases.

Josh
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 01:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
oh that does seem problematic,

the only answer is going to be to aerate until the drop checker is blue even with the CO2 running. if the aeration is not doing the job then you can also aim the outlet of your filter to the surface to provide more turbulence.

The first suggestion that I can think of is that instead of running the risk of letting the CO2 go 24/7 is to just manually turn off the main gas cylinder valve (if it is a 5/10/20lb tank, disconnect if it is paintball). not the needle valve as you may have trouble adjusting it again in the morning. The plants are also producing CO2 at night and if the drop checker is not blue right now then I wouldn't risk gassing the fish at night.

Shutting off the CO2 at the high pressure side with the cylinder valve is not some thing you want to do as a regular, nightly practice.

These valves have a limited lifespan and it would be better to place a 1/8" i.d. hose barbed manual shut off valve in the line on low pressure side of the regulator.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 07:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
very good point @GrampsGrunge

Did the OP get his problem solved?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode