• 1 Post By jeffkrol
  • 1 Post By Patson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 art regulator washer doesn't fit

Hi all,

Sorry about this newbie question, I just got my CO2 art Pro-se series regulator and step one:

Place washer between CO2 cylinder outlet and regulator's stem (inside regulator's nut)

But I was leaking really bad even if i throw that washer in between the Co2 tank outlet and inside the nut

I found this thread https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...lp-needed.html , but my head looks a bit different than that picture.

The video online shows a pretty different connection nut, the tip from the video looks like this

^^ notice that the washer seems to fit that silver rim inside.

Whereas, the tip of mine....I really couldn't figure out how could that happen? Am i suppose to screw it really tight that it will break something? cause I don't see how the washer can fit with that tip at all. This is how mine looks:

I don't have a spanner/wrench big enough for the nut, i did use the duck tape trick to tighten it, perhaps it's just not tight enough? Every time it leaked like immediately, I could literally feel the air coming out, so it's definitely not right.

This is my gas tank btw:

Many thanks for your help!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That "silver rim" is unnecessary. You are supposed to place that nylon washer (gasket, actually) inside that huge nut that attaches the regulator to the CO2 cylinder. Of course, first you have to slide that nut forward so that it forms a "cup" at the end of the regulator intake.

Then, as you tighten the nut to the cylinder, the nylon gasket will get squeezed between the regulator and the cylinder.

The nylon gasket usually fits snugly inside that large nut, which is what keeps it centered during the tightening procedure. Is yours a good match to the inner diameter of the nut? If it is, you have nothing to worry about. If the nylon washer is notably smaller, then something might be amiss here.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well that type of washer isn't err "usual" for that type of CGA but doesn't mean it won't work..
Trick will be lining it all up and tightening it TIGHT...very tight.
Not sure if you can actually do that w/out a wrench (pipe/crescent/box/vice grips ect)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...320-inlet.html

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patson View Post
Hi all,

I don't have a spanner/wrench big enough for the nut, i did use the duck tape trick to tighten it, perhaps it's just not tight enough?

Many thanks for your help!!!!
This is your problem. Go get a proper wrench.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
That "silver rim" is unnecessary. You are supposed to place that nylon washer (gasket, actually) inside that huge nut that attaches the regulator to the CO2 cylinder. Of course, first you have to slide that nut forward so that it forms a "cup" at the end of the regulator intake.

Then, as you tighten the nut to the cylinder, the nylon gasket will get squeezed between the regulator and the cylinder.

The nylon gasket usually fits snugly inside that large nut, which is what keeps it centered during the tightening procedure. Is yours a good match to the inner diameter of the nut? If it is, you have nothing to worry about. If the nylon washer is notably smaller, then something might be amiss here.
Many thanks for the quick reply!

I am not sure if it fits perfectly, see the photo - there's some gap

Though I will go get a bigger wrench and try it again!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Many thanks for the quick reply!

I am not sure if it fits perfectly, see the photo - there's some gap

Though I will go get a bigger wrench and try it again!
Gap won't matter. not really in the sealing area. You need the plastic to sort of conform and seal the flat face..
will make it more difficult to line up correctly though.

Really should get the "more correct" seals.
Actually most refill places will give you the paper kind for free.
do not recommend them though it's a YMMV type choice. Def not reuseable.
Plastic ones last forever. Think my oldest is 4 years old and prob 10 tank changes.
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Regul...a-810377679496
Bettatail likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Gap won't matter. not really in the sealing area. You need the plastic to sort of conform and seal the flat face..
will make it more difficult to line up correctly though.

Really should get the "more correct" seals.
Actually most refill places will give you the paper kind for free.
do not recommend them though it's a YMMV type choice. Def not reuseable.
Plastic ones last forever. Think my oldest is 4 years old and prob 10 tank changes.
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Regul...a-810377679496
Thank you so much for the explanation!

The washer comes with the regulator so i suppose it should fit. Perhaps if I tighten it hard enough, it would squeeze that piece of washer and fill up the gap or something... Dunno yet as all the hardware stores are closed and i would have to get a proper wrench tomorrow :P

I do have a piece of ring/rubber that fell out when i took out the OLD regulator...likely a seal/washer from that old regular that I'm replacing. Should I throw that in as well? So it goes regulator -> washer -> that piece of rubber ring -> Co2 tank outlet?

That piece of ring/rubber is the right one in the pic, and the washer that comes with the CO2 art regulator is on the left. What do you think?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thank you so much for the explanation!

The washer comes with the regulator so i suppose it should fit. Perhaps if I tighten it hard enough, it would squeeze that piece of washer and fill up the gap or something... Dunno yet as all the hardware stores are closed and i would have to get a proper wrench tomorrow :P

I do have a piece of ring/rubber that fell out when i took out the OLD regulator...likely a seal/washer from that old regular that I'm replacing. Should I throw that in as well? So it goes regulator -> washer -> that piece of rubber ring -> Co2 tank outlet?

That piece of ring/rubber is the right one in the pic, and the washer that comes with the CO2 art regulator is on the left. What do you think?

Hmmm ..looks like part of a broken perma seal to be honest.. No you don't want to use it..
Perma seals screw into the tank valve face..
In that case it's the only seal to the regulator flat..
https://aquariumplants.com/perma-sea...iABEgKZXvD_BwE

BTW: Never assume it's the correct part. Not when it doesn't fit perfectly..
W/ yours it 'looks" like they had another style CGA at one point..
Bettatail likes this.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks all for the reply. I googled around and found some tank with similar CGA 320 outlet https://www.morebeer.com/products/co...-aluminum.html . So i assume the tank side is good.

As for the regulator side, I will try to get a wrench and tighten it hard hopefully that would do it
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 01:48 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
I just got my CO2 art Pro-se series regulator...
I've been using one of these for about a year now. I didn't have any issue getting it hooked up. You do have to crank that plastic washer down using a wrench. I don't mind admitting I was terrified I'd break something. Also I found a slow leak around the top of the bubble counter. I ended up replacing it with a one made of brass.

Yesterday, I purchased a CO2arts Pro-Elite Series regulator and a 2nd manifold to run two aquariums off the same CO2 tank. This will replace the SE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yep a proper wrench did the job!

Everyone, thank you again!
deeda likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode