Recommended co2 regulator and solenoid kit for +- $100? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By P.Isley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Recommended co2 regulator and solenoid kit for +- $100?

Hello, so I'm leaning towards the aquatek co2 mini+soloneoid that is about $100. Is there any other you would recommend? I do not want to break the bank. All I want is something reliable that won't leak or something. Like those FZONE on amazon seem cheap for under $70 but I've heard horrible reviews that they leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Cheap and reliable don't go together with co2. Pick one and go from there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 03:14 PM
Algae Grower

I was going to go the cheap route as well but the more I read, the more i leaned toward buying the components and building my own system.
If you read and research the boards, you can build a reliable system yourself and if you arent in a hurry, can ebay and source much more robust parts for your system.
I doubt that you will come in at 100 dollars to do so but with a little ebay savvy and elbow grease to put a system together yourself you could get a good regulator, solenoid and needle valve for 150. I know because I just did it.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well you're right. Reading the reviews it says that 50% of customers are happy while the other 50% have all sorts of problems including leaks.

So OK, lets make it $150 budget, which one would you recommend? I mean, just a solid brand not Chinese, not breaking the bank and readily available in different sites because I need shipping to Mexico.

NOTE: I forgot to mention I need it for a paintball tank, it is just more practical for me and I have no space for a bigger tank.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturosito View Post
Well you're right. Reading the reviews it says that 50% of customers are happy while the other 50% have all sorts of problems including leaks.

So OK, lets make it $150 budget, which one would you recommend? I mean, just a solid brand not Chinese, not breaking the bank and readily available in different sites because I need shipping to Mexico.

NOTE: I forgot to mention I need it for a paintball tank, it is just more practical for me and I have no space for a bigger tank.
You're missing the point. If you want something reliable it's going to cost you between $150-200 but you are going to have to piece it together yourself. That is, getting a used industrial regulator on ebay and then buying a post body kit. A USA made reg like a Victor is not happening off the shelf all ready to go.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 02:44 AM
Algae Grower

I have one from FZone that cost a bit less than $100 that I like very much and am so far impressed with the quality. I have only had it for a couple of months so I can't speak to its longevity, but I have a friend who has two of these going on two years now who is still happy.

The heat transfer capacity of the solenoid is excellent, (meaning it doesn't get hot), and is a triple stage regulator that comes with a copper needle valve and aluminum bubble counter/check valve. It seems to work very well with a constant working pressure. It also comes with an adaptor which allows it to fit disposable CO2 cartridges, paint ball canisters and the larger CGA320 tanks. One drawback of the system is that it only has one pressure gauge, so it tells you the working pressure of the system, but not the pressure of the tank (i.e., how much gas is left).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Asteroid likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have read horrible reviews on those FZONE ones. Can anyone recommend good brands? I need to use it on a paintball 20 oz tank, how good are adapters for that purpose?

Please suggest brands that work (no leaks, no problems)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've been using two different sub $100 regulators for the past 10 years without issue. One of them I've had a 3-way manifold on for the last five years.

Many times issues pop up with cheaper regulators because it's he first regulator for lots of people and setup and/or user error results in damage. I've heard complaints from people using sub $100 regulators and ones using the more expensive ones from GLA and other higher-end sellers. Yes you could spend alot more and people have less issues, but most of these cheaper regulators do the job for our needs. There are many people here using the F-Zone. I haven't heard of too many problems. Not more than any other reg. Reviews look good on Amazon, although probably not long-term.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

At the end of the day there's basically 3 kinds of regulator setups people use:

1. low grade - aquatek, f-zone, etc
2. mid grade - co2art, gla, etc
3. high grade - industrial regulator and post body kits

Sure a gla, co2art, aquatek, etc can/will fail but you never hear of setups with real industrial regulators ever failing. An industrial regulator is designed to take some insane amount of abuse which is never seen in aquariums so they effectively last forever.

A high grade setup is completely possible for $200 but you gotta do the work yourself. If you don't want to do that then just buy a co2art and call it a day.
https://www.co2art.us/collections/co...rated-solenoid
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 07:59 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to allexx46 Send a message via Yahoo to allexx46
Hi there! I did ton’s of research on this topic before i bought. I finally decided on a CO2Art model. It came I installed and it has “Just worked”. No problems and no looking back. Easy website and lots of advice offered. I would buy again, buy for a friend and recommend.

I now have 2-300 pounds of CO2 pumped through it perfectly. Looks the same - feels the same and works the same as the day it was installed. Biggest advice to anyone buying gear: Buy what works and do not try to save a few $ unless you really thrive on solving problems.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Alex, I also wanted to go for the co2art but shipping to Mexico didn't work, I mean, supposedly they do ship to Mexico but in practice the checkout was rejecting me all the time and in the end I went for a local seller who puts the pieces together, Chinese pieces that is, but I was adamantium about no leaks and precision in the co2 unit, so he says the regulator is brand "Mufan" which is a mini regulator for gotcha, and a jefferson solenoid, and that supposedly they are very precise. We'll see, the whole settup including ceramic diffuser, solenoid, bubble counter and 24oz gotcha bottle + shipping was $180. Sounds expensive but getting the co2art kit including shipping + 10% discount was like $230 shipped to Mexico and I could not even buy it in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allexx46 View Post
Hi there! I did ton’s of research on this topic before i bought. I finally decided on a CO2Art model. It came I installed and it has “Just worked”. No problems and no looking back. Easy website and lots of advice offered. I would buy again, buy for a friend and recommend.

I now have 2-300 pounds of CO2 pumped through it perfectly. Looks the same - feels the same and works the same as the day it was installed. Biggest advice to anyone buying gear: Buy what works and do not try to save a few $ unless you really thrive on solving problems.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode