Nano Lily Pipe Inflow with Skimmer? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By EdWiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nano Lily Pipe Inflow with Skimmer?

Anyone seen such a thing? I'm ramping up a 9 gal, 11.8" tall.

Standard size Lily skimmer pipes look huge to me (inflow would sit on the substrate).

Or is it even worth considering a skimmer if there will be some floating plants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have never seen nano ones. A skimmer is handy it helps removing scum that can build up and cause algae. If you want shrimp you need to make it shrimp safe as they can get sucked in to it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There are plenty of lily pipes for that size tank. I don't know about one's with a skimmer, which you generally don't need in a hi-tech planted tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 01:48 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
There are plenty of lily pipes for that size tank. I don't know about one's with a skimmer, which you generally don't need in a hi-tech planted tank.
In what kind of setup would one be really useful?

Thanks.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
In what kind of setup would one be really useful?

Thanks.
Are you referring to a skimmer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 04:57 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Are you referring to a skimmer?
Sorry. Yes. A skimmer.

I guess that I am wondering why it would not be useful on a high-tech tank and so also wondering if it is therefore better suited to a low-tech one.

Not academic for me as I am setting up a tank now and still debating high/low. I have used CO2 previously but was thinking low-tech this time around.

Thanks!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The skimmer remove protein from the top of the water. As I said in my post. The reason you donít see skimmers on inlets for small tanks is that there is a floating section and and adjustment section at the bottom. An it takes take some room for the floating skimmer and the bottom adjustment. It would be tight fitting these to sections in a small space. The skimmer pipes are really touchy and require a constant water level to really work properly.
evil8 and mourip like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Just buy an Eheim Skim 350
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
In what kind of setup would one be really useful?=
Thanks.
Maybe with a very high bioload, but generally they just aren't needed. The film usually goes away once the tank matures and/or you reduce the organic load and give the water some surface movement. I've had it happen to me a few times and it goes away eventually.

Last thing, i want to do is throw more equipment into the tank that isn't necessary. Lily pipes were sold for a really long time before they started to incorporate skimmers into them.

As far as co2 goes, If you can I recommend using it. All tanks regardless of what you plant are co2 deprived. Uptake by plants is king. Co2 will increase their uotake and you will have less algae and more wiggle room with light and other inbalances.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 07:05 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Maybe with a very high bioload, but generally they just aren't needed. The film usually goes away once the tank matures and/or you reduce the organic load and give the water some surface movement. I've had it happen to me a few times and it goes away eventually.

Last thing, i want to do is throw more equipment into the tank that isn't necessary. Lily pipes were sold for a really long time before they started to incorporate skimmers into them.

As far as co2 goes, If you can I recommend using it. All tanks regardless of what you plant are co2 deprived. Uptake by plants is king. Co2 will increase their uptake and you will have less algae and more wiggle room with light and other inbalances.
Thanks for the advice. I think that I will just opt for a straight intake.

I have been intently watching different tank builds here(including your own) as I try to catch up on the last 15 years of tech. I would definitely like to avoid an endless struggle with algae just to save a few bucks and a periodic trip to Maryland Fire Equipment, my only local CO2 source for a 5 lb tank refill.

My original plan was to have a tank that might not need a place to hide a lot of tech but I now have a good cabinet.

I appreciate your taking time to answer and apologize if I hijacked the OP's thread :-)

I will look through CO2 threads for a good bang-for-the-buck complete CO2 kit source.

Best,
Paul
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I think that I will just opt for a straight intake.

I have been intently watching different tank builds here(including your own) as I try to catch up on the last 15 years of tech. I would definitely like to avoid an endless struggle with algae just to save a few bucks and a periodic trip to Maryland Fire Equipment, my only local CO2 source for a 5 lb tank refill.

My original plan was to have a tank that might not need a place to hide a lot of tech but I now have a good cabinet.

I appreciate your taking time to answer and apologize if I hijacked the OP's thread :-)

I will look through CO2 threads for a good bang-for-the-buck complete CO2 kit source.

Best,
Paul
Sure, no problem. I think your doing the right thing. Anything that drives uptake is a good thing. I honestly will not start a tank without co2 regardless of the plants I grow. It just gives you so many more possibilities and less headaches.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode