2Likes
  • 1 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hose adapter/size reducer issue

I recently upgraded my filter from an Oase Filtosmart to a Biomaster. The Filtosmart has 1/2" hose fittings, but the Biomaster has 5/8" fittings. I use lily pipes and an in-line diffuser that I'd rather not toss just because they don't fit the new hoses. I'm also not much of a plumber so eager to see if there's anyone that can advise me on what to do. I've looked at products like this https://www.amazon.com/Hose-Black-HD.../dp/B00TOOGEYO. I've seen where folks will thread the 1/2" hose inside of the 5/8" hose, but that won't work for my in-line diffuser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 01:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant0328 View Post
I recently upgraded my filter from an Oase Filtosmart to a Biomaster. The Filtosmart has 1/2" hose fittings, but the Biomaster has 5/8" fittings. I use lily pipes and an in-line diffuser that I'd rather not toss just because they don't fit the new hoses. I'm also not much of a plumber so eager to see if there's anyone that can advise me on what to do. I've looked at products like this https://www.amazon.com/Hose-Black-HD.../dp/B00TOOGEYO. I've seen where folks will thread the 1/2" hose inside of the 5/8" hose, but that won't work for my in-line diffuser.

I would not pay 40 dollars for a reducer... But yes something like that is the right idea. You just need 2 barbed fittings that screw into a reducer coupling or one piece like that. You put your diffuser on whatever side of the hose it fits. I will say your flow will be reduced going form 5/8 down to 1/2 but /shrug

More reasonable price: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
PlantedRich likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Fully agree with above but tow small points to add. One is to be aware that adding the adapter does reduce flow more than we might expect as the plastic walls also take a fair amount of space out of the stream. If the wall on each side is 1/8 thick, it takes a full 1/4 inch off the 5/8 or 1/2 inch opening. Big time change there!
Also I like to add a metal seal around the tubing-- just to be sure.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yep those type adapters will restrict your flow considerably.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Meh just do it. People worry too much about flow on planted tanks.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 01:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Well to be clear 1/2" and 5/8" is the inner diameter not the outer diameter. So the difference is 1/8th inch. Still a reduction.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Well to be clear 1/2" and 5/8" is the inner diameter not the outer diameter. So the difference is 1/8th inch. Still a reduction.
This is true for the inner diameter of the tubing, not true for the inner diameter of the fittings. Fitting size relate to the size tubing they go into, not the inner diameter. The fitting goes in the inside of the 5/8 tube and does take the thickness of the plastic off both sides of the inner diameter of the tube.
So if the fitting plastic thickness is 1/8 you start with a 5/8 opening in the tube and take 1/8 off two times for both sidewalls and you get down from 5/8 to something like 3/8. Not exact figures of course but speaking in general for most fittings. Then it can become something like highway construction where the highway is cut from three lanes to two. It does slow down the flow.
For many it is easier to just look at the end of the tube and compare it to the end of the fitting to see the difference.
But flow is just one thing to keep in mind and it depends on what we are wanting to do as some do want to reduce the flow.
minorhero likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 02:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
This is true for the inner diameter of the tubing, not true for the inner diameter of the fittings. Fitting size relate to the size tubing they go into, not the inner diameter. The fitting goes in the inside of the 5/8 tube and does take the thickness of the plastic off both sides of the inner diameter of the tube.
So if the fitting plastic thickness is 1/8 you start with a 5/8 opening in the tube and take 1/8 off two times for both sidewalls and you get down from 5/8 to something like 3/8. Not exact figures of course but speaking in general for most fittings. Then it can become something like highway construction where the highway is cut from three lanes to two. It does slow down the flow.
For many it is easier to just look at the end of the tube and compare it to the end of the fitting to see the difference.
But flow is just one thing to keep in mind and it depends on what we are wanting to do as some do want to reduce the flow.
I had thought the fixtures were the same but I just went and measured a couple of barbs I have laying around and my 1" barb was actually 3/4" inner diameter and my 3/4" barb was actually 5/8. So ya additional limitation on flow.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The larger the tubing diameter, the less severe the restriction as the plastic wall thickness of the fitting is near the same for quite a wide range. So taking a 1/4 inch off a tubing that is 1" is not as big a percentage as taking it off one which is smaller like a 1/2.
As we go smaller, we can sometimes get into an area where a compression fitting which goes on the outside of the tube can give us less flow restriction and still get a better grip than adding an item inside.
Sometimes I still have to stand in the parts section and run through my mind what fittings will give me the best features for the specific project of the moment.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode