Canister Filter for Small Cabinet - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sm1ke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Canister Filter for Small Cabinet

I'm setting up a nano, about 9 gallons, and looking for advice on an appropriate canister filter that fits the cabinet.

Plants will be low-mid light. Probably will have a beta and some ember tetras, a couple of pygmy corys.

Here's the issue:

I've got a cabinet with 14 1/2" opening for the doors, and only another 1 1/2" above to the bottom of a drawer, so a max height of about 16."

If needed, I can convert the drawer to a false drawer and gain another 4 1/2" of space to the to of the cabinet, but I'd hate to lose the drawer.

I'm assuming I'll also need some height to pull the hoses out the back.

On top of all this, I'd like to run an inline heater.

I've been researching canisters, and can't seem to find one that fits the space. They're either crappy or don't have flow valves to disconnect the lines (which I could buy, but then I'm back to the height issue).

Would love some thoughts here. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 03:24 PM
Algae Grower

I think this would fit the bill.

OASE FiltoSmart Thermo 100

8x5.5x10 in
160 GPH max flow
4.6 ft head height
Manufacturer rated for up to 30 gallons
Integrated heater
Adjustable inlet and outlet flow control, with spray bar included (which would probably be important for the betta)
Quick hose disconnect for ease of maintenance

I have a 9 gallon tank, and for filtration I am using a Finnex PX-360. It's less than half the price of the canister filter above, but it doesn't have quick disconnects, doesn't have an inline heater, and only has a manufacturer specified head height of 2 ft (while others here have actually reported it to be much lower, probably more like 6-12"). It works for me because I keep the filter right beside the tank on my office desk.

By comparison, the Oase seems like a great deal!
Discusluv likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
I think this would fit the bill.

OASE FiltoSmart Thermo 100

8x5.5x10 in
160 GPH max flow
4.6 ft head height
Manufacturer rated for up to 30 gallons
Integrated heater
Adjustable inlet and outlet flow control, with spray bar included (which would probably be important for the betta)
Quick hose disconnect for ease of maintenance

I have a 9 gallon tank, and for filtration I am using a Finnex PX-360. It's less than half the price of the canister filter above, but it doesn't have quick disconnects, doesn't have an inline heater, and only has a manufacturer specified head height of 2 ft (while others here have actually reported it to be much lower, probably more like 6-12"). It works for me because I keep the filter right beside the tank on my office desk.

By comparison, the Oase seems like a great deal!
Thanks! I *thought* I might buy the Oase, but reviews say the media section doesn't get much flow. And it's pricey. Might be my only option though.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Eheim 2211 is pretty small and about $80. I doubt it is any taller than 12" as well.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 09:06 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsaicin_MFK View Post
Eheim 2211 is pretty small and about $80. I doubt it is any taller than 12" as well.
You'd be paying more than the Oase once you factor in the cost of the additional inline heater (some of which can be as tall as the filter themselves).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode